The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: What is Each Album's Major Flaw?: Ten
PostPosted: Sun August 20, 2017 11:19 pm 
The Master

The drum sounds. Before the Remix/Remaster, I would have said it was the reverb. But even with that dialed back, those drums sound sort of wimpy.

PostPosted: Sun August 20, 2017 11:20 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I love how dark and groovy it sounds...the Jane's Addiction influence in Stone and Jeff for sure.

PostPosted: Mon December 18, 2017 10:02 pm 
Banned from the Pit

theplatypus wrote:
And grunty yabadabadoo Eddie.

:haha:

I definitely agree with the reverb part. At least we got a remix, and a good one too.

PostPosted: Mon January 27, 2020 7:40 pm 
Future Drummer

Honestly this album is nearly flawless. The only thing I can think is that Once is fairly weak as an opener compared to the rest of the album....though I dunno if that's even a bad thing? Because it's still very good and it means that they don't start blowing through their best songs right away. (Even though they do once they get to track 2). But it's nice to not have the first song be the best one and then go downhill from there - you sort of expect that, so Even Flow and Alive immediately being so good is like oh man...I thought Once was good but these are GREAT. So it works.

PostPosted: Mon January 27, 2020 8:03 pm 
The Master

The only flaws for me are Black (cringey breakup angst) and Porch (hard rock Spin Doctors). Other than that, this album is aces.

PostPosted: Mon January 27, 2020 8:12 pm 
She / Her

Porch is a cliched funk rock verse that only exists as an excuse for a wanky guitar solo, it's definitely the weak link on an album that I thought, for years, didn't have any

wait, Once is annoying in a similar way

PostPosted: Mon January 27, 2020 8:31 pm 
The worst

the back half of porch is one of their greatest moments (coming out of the bridge through the end).

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon January 27, 2020 8:36 pm 
She / Her

stip wrote:
the back half of porch is one of their greatest moments (coming out of the bridge through the end).

haha, I've missed you Stip :)

PostPosted: Mon January 27, 2020 10:24 pm 
Broken Tamborine

TEN is obviously an amazing album and the songs themselves will forever be classic. Obviously we wouldn't be on this board talking about Pearl Jam - had it not been for that monumental album.

HOWEVER....I always hated the original production of TEN and for years it was really hard to listen to that album cause all the reverb and over production just annoyed the shit out of me.
Especially when you heard the bootlegs and the energy that the band had live playing those songs.

I remember hearing the Even Flow video version and wished that all of TEN had that production. I think the production on Vs. was so much better because it captured great songs and also captured the energy of the band live.

I think the remixes of TEN were great.
I was a definitely a big fan of that B.O.B remix of Even Flow on the Rearviewmirror greatest hits album - and then the TEN Redux was done really good as well.

Some people hate the TEN Redux - but for me it improved the album and stripped away much of the dated production style that I felt hampered the album originally.

PostPosted: Mon January 27, 2020 10:25 pm 
The Master

I absolutely adore Ten’s production. Sure, it’s dated - I love that about it. Gimme all that sweetass reverb babyyyyyyy

PostPosted: Mon January 27, 2020 10:37 pm 
She / Her

Clem Halibut wrote:
TEN is obviously an amazing album and the songs themselves will forever be classic. Obviously we wouldn't be on this board talking about Pearl Jam - had it not been for that monumental album.

HOWEVER....I always hated the original production of TEN and for years it was really hard to listen to that album cause all the reverb and over production just annoyed the shit out of me.
Especially when you heard the bootlegs and the energy that the band had live playing those songs.

I remember hearing the Even Flow video version and wished that all of TEN had that production. I think the production on Vs. was so much better because it captured great songs and also captured the energy of the band live.

I think the remixes of TEN were great.
I was a definitely a big fan of that B.O.B remix of Even Flow on the Rearviewmirror greatest hits album - and then the TEN Redux was done really good as well.

Some people hate the TEN Redux - but for me it improved the album and stripped away much of the dated production style that I felt hampered the album originally.

I don't think the band has energy playing those songs anymore

PostPosted: Tue January 28, 2020 12:54 am 
The worst

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I absolutely adore Ten’s production. Sure, it’s dated - I love that about it. Gimme all that sweetass reverb babyyyyyyy

it gives ten a hugeness that has never quite been matched. every one of these songs is 100% sure that it will save the world

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue January 28, 2020 12:59 am 
jeeeesus relax already

yeah, i love the production as well. I think it does a very good job of mixing classic rock with something more obscure like Janes Addiction.

Love it.

PostPosted: Tue January 28, 2020 2:29 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

This is a great album, and as strong as all these songs are, I’ve never been that partial to the back end duo of Garden —> Deep. The songs are both good but I don’t think they are as good as the rest of the album. I also think that some of the songs that didn’t make the album I just prefer, like Wash, Footsteps, Brother, even Yellow Ledbetter. I mean maybe those don’t fit the mood as well (I would argue Wash and Footsteps would and would have added a positive dynamic showing more of their range).

PostPosted: Tue January 28, 2020 3:20 pm 
She / Her

I love "Deep"

PostPosted: Tue January 28, 2020 7:53 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Ten is perfect. The only flaws are the bands’ reaction to it following its release:

-Alternate, lesser versions of songs released as videos and singles (even flow).
-The band talking down about the production despite it being a big part of why it was the high-water mark album of its time.
-Remixing it. Garden is the only song that maybe you could argue was improved.
-Changing Alive on the iTunes version of Ten. This is unforgivable. New generations will buy what they believe is the original album, only to get a sub-par solo and never know what they’re missing.

PostPosted: Tue January 28, 2020 7:56 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Matters wrote:
New generations will buy

Let me stop you right there

PostPosted: Tue January 28, 2020 8:00 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

You’re true.

PostPosted: Tue January 28, 2020 8:23 pm 
Future Drummer

stip wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

it gives ten a hugeness that has never quite been matched. every one of these songs is 100% sure that it will save the world

Ten is like the first Bad Company album in that it is straight up classic rock, built on guitar riffs and great singing. For what they do and were meant to do they are pretty perfect.

PostPosted: Tue January 28, 2020 10:22 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Matters wrote:
Ten is perfect. The only flaws are the bands’ reaction to it following its release:

-Alternate, lesser versions of songs released as videos and singles (even flow).
-The band talking down about the production despite it being a big part of why it was the high-water mark album of its time.
-Remixing it. Garden is the only song that maybe you could argue was improved.
-Changing Alive on the iTunes version of Ten. This is unforgivable. New generations will buy what they believe is the original album, only to get a sub-par solo and never know what they’re missing.

I thought iTunes died for Apple Music streaming?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam