The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 296, 297, 298, 299, 300, 301, 302 ... 1307  Next
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 12:44 am 
Production Police

The implications of this are really something:

WaPo: Russian surveillance plane soars over the Pentagon, Capitol and other Washington sights
The unarmed Tupolev Tu-154 flew over the District under the terms of the Treaty on Open Skies, a pact that allows its signers to make observation flights over other treaty nations, the State Department said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/che ... on-sights/

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 1:06 am 
post-structuralist

Fucking lunatic

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 2:35 am 
Rank This Poster

tragabigzanda wrote:

WaPo: Russian surveillance plane soars over the Pentagon, Capitol and other Washington sights
The unarmed Tupolev Tu-154 flew over the District under the terms of the Treaty on Open Skies, a pact that allows its signers to make observation flights over other treaty nations, the State Department said.

Waste of money. All that's already available via satellite imagery. Just sort of because we can thing

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 2:46 am 
Production Police

Electromatic wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Waste of money. All that's already available via satellite imagery. Just sort of because we can thing

Exactly.

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 2:49 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Electromatic wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I rather doubt it. Satellites can't spoof cell towers and hoover up your cellphone data. At that altitude, is that within the realm of possibility for this plane? Microwaves/ radio waves would tend to require a closer receiver to pick up.

Also, there's a reason we use Alice Springs in Australia to communicate with satellites - in the middle of a land mass there aren't surveillance ships.

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 11:01 am 
what on earth am I talking about

I mean the WORST time to do this. Exactly the kind of thing that would make Donald freak out and launch nukes :)

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 1:10 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

The Republican Party.

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 2:50 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I love the use of the drops in that picture because it turns the flag upside down.

Quote:
Inverted flags[edit]

For hundreds of years inverted national flags were commonly used as distress signals.[4] However, for some countries’ flags it is difficult (e.g., Spain, South Korea, the UK) or impossible (e.g., Japan, Thailand, Israel and Denmark) to determine whether they are inverted. Other countries have flags that are inverses of each other; for example, the Polish flag is white on the top half and red on the bottom, while Indonesia's and Monaco's flags are the opposite—i.e., top half red, bottom half white. A ship flying no flags may also be understood to be in distress.[5]

If any flag is available, distress may be indicated by tying a knot in it and then flying it upside-down, making it into a wheft.[6]

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 3:01 pm 

McParadigm wrote:
The Republican Party.

Why would they postpone a presidential election?

Doesn't some major catastrophe have to happen for the president to be allowed remain after his term?

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 3:14 pm 
Rank This Poster

Presidential "war powers" don't allow the president to subvert elections.

They may actually specifically forbid it.

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 3:18 pm 
Rank This Poster

Quote:
(g) Limitations upon Presidential power
Nothing in subsection (c) or (d) shall be construed to authorize the President to make any amendment to the rules and regulations of the Commission which the Commission would not be authorized by law to make; and nothing in subsection (d) shall be construed to authorize the President to take any action the force and effect of which shall continue beyond the date after which taking of such action would not have been authorized.

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 3:25 pm 
post-structuralist

run2death wrote:

Also the executive branch of the government is purposely the weakest branch of the government in order to keep the presidency from turning into a monarchy/dictatorship among other things. I do worry at the level of corruption in congress and the legislature though. Extreme partisanship is a real threat to the system that's otherwise run very well over the last 250 years give or take, because of the numerous checks and balances that are supposed to be in place. Extreme partisanship blows that ideal to hell. And every time another extreme conservative gets put on the supreme court, only makes the scales tipped even worse

people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 3:36 pm 
The Master

malice wrote:
run2death wrote:

Also the executive branch of the government is purposely the weakest branch of the government in order to keep the presidency from turning into a monarchy/dictatorship among other things. I do worry at the level of corruption in congress and the legislature though. Extreme partisanship is a real threat to the system that's otherwise run very well over the last 250 years give or take, because of the numerous checks and balances that are supposed to be in place. Extreme partisanship blows that ideal to hell. And every time another extreme conservative gets put on the supreme court, only makes the scales tipped even worse

They can't even pass a health care bill that has been the number one thing on their agenda for the past 7 years. I'm not too worried about Republicans leaving the government in ruins.

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 4:00 pm 
post-structuralist

Yeah, as a party the republicans are a mess, but having trump as the main mess maker doesn't do anything good for me in thinking about outrageous possible acts by the administration.

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 4:03 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 7:33 pm 
The Master

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/10/politics/ ... index.html

"Maybe it wasn't tough enough," Trump said during a lengthy exchange with reporters.
Trump said that past administrations had not done enough to take on North Korea and that it is time a President "stuck up for the country."

I hate this man so much.

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 7:40 pm 
Polluted

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 7:42 pm 

Strat wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/10/politics/trump-north-korea/index.html

"Maybe it wasn't tough enough," Trump said during a lengthy exchange with reporters.
Trump said that past administrations had not done enough to take on North Korea and that it is time a President "stuck up for the country."

I hate this man so much.

I think he's going somewhere with this. Nuke North Korea into oblivion. This kicking world war 3 off.
All this the same week a poll is floated among republicans to postpone the 2020 election.

Why in fuck is that question even being asked if not to get a feel for support for what is about to happen?

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 7:46 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

There is no way he nukes North Korea. He may strike them where it takes out their nuke/ICBM capabilities, but not with a nuke. I'm sure, although not publicly, China has let him know the consequences of a nuke being detonated that close to their border.

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 7:47 pm 
Poster of the Year

You don't need nukes to destroy Seoul.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 296, 297, 298, 299, 300, 301, 302 ... 1307  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate