The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1403 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 71  Next
 Post subject: Re: On The Media: Where Do You Get Your News?
PostPosted: Thu June 29, 2017 8:08 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

I've been into Pod Save the America.

PostPosted: Sun July 02, 2017 12:27 pm 
Rank This Poster

We've come a long way, baby.

And so it is to the printing press--to the recorder of man's deeds, the keeper of his conscience, the courier of his news--that we look for strength and assistance, confident that with your help man will be what he was born to be: free and independent.

PostPosted: Wed July 05, 2017 3:48 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Did CNN really threaten to dox the Reddit person that made that video? Holy hell that is fucked up.

PostPosted: Wed July 05, 2017 3:51 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Bi_3 wrote:
Did CNN really threaten to dox the Reddit person that made that video? Holy hell that is fucked up.

Did they? I know they are pretty proud of the fact that they "discovered" who it was and got an apology issued from him.

PostPosted: Wed July 05, 2017 6:45 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

It's like they just discovered the internet.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed July 05, 2017 6:50 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Plus the guy was openly claiming credit on Reddit. Not sure why he is backtracking now.

PostPosted: Wed July 05, 2017 6:50 pm 

Someone make a meme that Trump can retweet so RM can get this kind of exposure.

PostPosted: Wed July 05, 2017 7:02 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Bi_3 wrote:
The Van Jones clip is significant in thy he goes on TV and says the opposite of what he believes.

Is that a fact? Is Van Jones a big proponent of the Russia conspiracy theory? I saw a video of him a few days before the Veritas thing came out where he was basically saying "the investigation is important, but i don't think it will lead to anything significant".

PostPosted: Thu July 06, 2017 7:23 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

There was an NPR piece on congresskin avoiding townhalls today, but I don't know if they did a good job of explaining what the organized opposition to the healthcare bill had set up at recent town halls.

Are they avoiding constituents, or did they just accept that no real communication was possible for staged protests screaming non-stop at town-halls?

Maybe NPR just assumes we are familiar with recent events, but this sort of thing where NPR fails to provide background is rather annoying.

PostPosted: Thu July 13, 2017 11:06 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

https://www.washingtonian.com/2017/06/27/the-washington-post-social-media-policy/

..prohibits employees from “Disparaging the products and services of The Post’s advertisers, subscribers, competitors, business partners or vendors.”

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 1:23 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Science is turning against us! Eject! Eject!

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 2:08 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

BurtReynolds wrote:
Science is turning against us! Eject! Eject!

I like some of John McWhorter and Glenn Lowry's podcasts, and while they pretty much accept the science, McWhorter's view is that its unproductive to discuss IQ disparities between races.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/449208/race-iq-debate-serves-no-purpose

I suppose that could be true. There is a problem however when public policies like disparate impact tests assume groups have identical distributions of ability and inclination. If the data is telling us that differences between groups can significantly be explained by genetic differences, why do we insist on punishing companies and institutions when those differences appear?

The default position seems to be that people are all blank slates with equal abilities, but that racism/ patriarchy are to blame for differences in outcome. It's harder to get a handle on how much of the disparity is due to racism/ patriarchy, but the data suggests at least some of the disparity is inherent.

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 2:14 am 

Yeah in most cases the differences, if they exist at all, are so minor and the distribution overlap so great that its meaningless to worry about. One certainly should never attempt to judge an individual's ability by it, except in a few obvious cases. But in some areas (what men and women choose to study in school for example), the disparity is too great to ignore. The idea that everything is a social construct is as mad as saying none of it is.

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 9:53 pm 
The Master

http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/10/media/j ... index.html

jeffrey lord. Lol. This guy was a piece of work though this will only fuel the right wings viewpoints about liberals and their free speech :\

PostPosted: Fri August 11, 2017 12:14 am 
Looks Like a Cat

BurtReynolds wrote:
Yeah in most cases the differences, if they exist at all, are so minor and the distribution overlap so great that its meaningless to worry about. One certainly should never attempt to judge an individual's ability by it, except in a few obvious cases. But in some areas (what men and women choose to study in school for example), the disparity is too great to ignore. The idea that everything is a social construct is as mad as saying none of it is.

I just listened to Charles Murray (author of the Bell Curve) on Sam Harris' podcast and he said basically that and what Simple said above. IQ is real, it's heritable, and the is a difference amoungst groups... but there is so much variance in the measured groups that it's impossible to know someone's IQ based on their phenotypes.

PostPosted: Sat August 12, 2017 12:03 am 
The Master

I get my news from Facebook and my uncle Cal.

PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 1:19 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

theatlantic.com has a pretty funny, low-key troll of Trump on their homepage right now: They've got a big red "BREAKING", which they rarely do, above a re-print of an 1868 essay written by non other than Frederick Douglass---"somebody who's done an amazing job and is being recognized more and more.". The banner takes up the whole length of the top of the page, also something very rare for them.

PostPosted: Tue August 22, 2017 4:17 am 

someone has a case of the mondays

PostPosted: Sat September 16, 2017 2:12 am 
Looks Like a Cat

CNN is back!

PostPosted: Sat September 16, 2017 2:33 am 

lol

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1403 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 71  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate