The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wonder Woman (2017)
PostPosted: Sun August 06, 2017 1:01 am 
The Master

I find it's better to just log my general annoyance and then never explain it

PostPosted: Sun August 06, 2017 1:02 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I know. I get it. You do you. I'm sure you understand the results of that kind of posting. I believe you've made your peace with that.

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 2:08 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

http://laist.com/2017/08/09/koch_brothers_hollywood.php

patriarchy strikes again

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Thu August 10, 2017 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 2:26 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I find it's better to just log my general annoyance and then never explain it

I love this post

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 10:35 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

while i thought this was a terrific movie this squeeling about pushing for an oscar is absurd

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 1:17 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I don't think it's absurd by any means. I fucking love the push. Based on what I've seen so far, I honestly don't think Wonder Woman is the best picture of the year. But I'd love to see a big Oscar push result in more nominations in a wider variety of categories; especially for Patty Jenkins as Best Director. Again, I don't think I would vote for her where I in a situation to do so, but I do think she deserves a nomination. And if a big push can get her that nod, I think it's a pretty cool thing.

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 1:38 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
I don't think it's absurd by any means. I fucking love the push. Based on what I've seen so far, I honestly don't think Wonder Woman is the best picture of the year. But I'd love to see a big Oscar push result in more nominations in a wider variety of categories; especially for Patty Jenkins as Best Director. Again, I don't think I would vote for her where I in a situation to do so, but I do think she deserves a nomination. And if a big push can get her that nod, I think it's a pretty cool thing.

I haven't seen the film yet, but what about it (the directing in this case) makes it stand out compared to other superhero movies?

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 1:58 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

yeah, this is not a very special work.

Still, the oscars are such a joke i dont really care if she gets in...if she does, im betting is more a political thing.

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 2:58 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I haven't seen the film yet, but what about it (the directing in this case) makes it stand out compared to other superhero movies?

It's a different kind of Superhero film, especially when compared to the previous DC outings so far. It's not anything revolutionary necessarily but it's a completely accomplished take on a fantastic character that up until this point hasn't been fully realized on screen. The film has a great energy which makes the experience feel all the more fresh and vital in a well-worn genre.

The tone is different. It has tremendous heart. There is a beautiful pulse of femininity that isn't out to emasculate or alienate or any of that other nonsense. It's not a political or overtly progressive (that one's for you RM) piece. It's not a statement film in that sense. But it's natural feminine point of view makes for a different kind of experience than we usually see. It's a real, strong, firm kind of natural power and presence. Which I think is beautiful.

Wonder Woman is layered and multidimensional in it's character portrayals. The action sequences have great flow and visual poetry and emotional stakes, as well. Many people (mostly women but not strictly so) have talked about how they found themselves moved (often to tears or full on sobs) during the action sequences. I know I share in that experience. I got teary and viscerally moved in three very specific action scenes. And I can't remember ever having those feelings, that kind of reaction to an action film before. Maybe it's happened but certainly not with any regularity. And it wasn't as memorable or powerful as this was, obviously. Because I don't remember it.

The pacing is fantastic. It's cathartic and hopeful. Great use of humor without drowning the film in syrup or silly-ness. And there's no forced sentimentality. It just feels fresh in a genre that is becoming over-saturated and rote. The movie has some of the same visual flair Snyder was going for, though it's not exactly the same. Jenkins' take is more like a variation on his theme: an homage while still being strikingly her own. But the characters are more accessible and likable than they were under Snyder. Of course, I'm basing this on general consensus (I haven't seen BvS but I would agree that the people in WW are more generally likable and fully fleshed out than in MoS) so, your results may vary here.

Each actor gives a fantastic performance. One of the biggest fears people had going into the movie was whether or not Gal Gadot was a competent enough actor to carry a film like this. Under Patty Jenkins those fears are absurd. This is the same director that got Charlize Theron an Oscar. Gal Gadot is lightning in this movie. And maybe she's just that good. Or maybe a lot of that is due to Jenkins' direction.

There are massive set pieces and subtle quiet scenes and both are given equal attention and weight by Jenkins. There's hardly a sense of having to get through something so we can just get on to the next something. I was never bored and dying for the next big explosion.

It sounds a bit like I'm gushing. I don't intent that. Wonder Woman is a flawed film, to be sure. But the things it does well are so strong that it feels pointless to pick on or overexpose and flog the flaws. A lot of what makes Wonder Women so good is its context, both culturally and in terms of its genre. It's not a game changer in a cinematic sense. But it does feel like a different kind of superhero film.

I would have no problem with the film being nominated for Cinematography, Art Direction, Make-up/Costume, Direction, Sound Design, Sound Editing, Editing, Score .... and I guess Best Picture (though, that's the one I'm farthest away from). I don't think it will win any of those, necessarily. It's not a lock for anything. But I think the movie is good enough to be in the general conversation (at this point) surrounding those categories.

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 3:26 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

It's a different kind of Superhero film, especially when compared to the previous DC outings so far. It's not anything revolutionary necessarily but it's a completely accomplished take on a fantastic character that up until this point hasn't been fully realized on screen. The film has a great energy which makes the experience feel all the more fresh and vital in a well-worn genre.

The tone is different. It has tremendous heart. There is a beautiful pulse of femininity that isn't out to emasculate or alienate or any of that other nonsense. It's not a political or overtly progressive (that one's for you RM) piece. It's not a statement film in that sense. But it's natural feminine point of view makes for a different kind of experience than we usually see. It's a real, strong, firm kind of natural power and presence. Which I think is beautiful.

Wonder Woman is layered and multidimensional in it's character portrayals. The action sequences have great flow and visual poetry and emotional stakes, as well. Many people (mostly women but not strictly so) have talked about how they found themselves moved (often to tears or full on sobs) during the action sequences. I know I share in that experience. I got teary and viscerally moved in three very specific action scenes. And I can't remember ever having those feelings, that kind of reaction to an action film before. Maybe it's happened but certainly not with any regularity. And it wasn't as memorable or powerful as this was, obviously. Because I don't remember it.

The pacing is fantastic. It's cathartic and hopeful. Great use of humor without drowning the film in syrup or silly-ness. And there's no forced sentimentality. It just feels fresh in a genre that is becoming over-saturated and rote. The movie has some of the same visual flair Snyder was going for, though it's not exactly the same. Jenkins' take is more like a variation on his theme: an homage while still being strikingly her own. But the characters are more accessible and likable than they were under Snyder. Of course, I'm basing this on general consensus (I haven't seen BvS but I would agree that the people in WW are more generally likable and fully fleshed out than in MoS) so, your results may vary here.

Each actor gives a fantastic performance. One of the biggest fears people had going into the movie was whether or not Gal Gadot was a competent enough actor to carry a film like this. Under Patty Jenkins those fears are absurd. This is the same director that got Charlize Theron an Oscar. Gal Gadot is lightning in this movie. And maybe she's just that good. Or maybe a lot of that is due to Jenkins' direction.

There are massive set pieces and subtle quiet scenes and both are given equal attention and weight by Jenkins. There's hardly a sense of having to get through something so we can just get on to the next something. I was never bored and dying for the next big explosion.

It sounds a bit like I'm gushing. I don't intent that. Wonder Woman is a flawed film, to be sure. But the things it does well are so strong that it feels pointless to pick on or overexpose and flog the flaws. A lot of what makes Wonder Women so good is its context, both culturally and in terms of its genre. It's not a game changer in a cinematic sense. But it does feel like a different kind of superhero film.

I would have no problem with the film being nominated for Cinematography, Art Direction, Make-up/Costume, Direction, Sound Design, Sound Editing, Editing, Score .... and I guess Best Picture (though, that's the one I'm farthest away from). I don't think it will win any of those, necessarily. It's not a lock for anything. But I think the movie is good enough to be in the general conversation (at this point) surrounding those categories.

God damnit, now I want to see this.

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 4:28 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I highly recommend it, M_D. It's a fantastic action/superhero film.

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 4:48 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:

Might have to be an after the wife goes asleep type of movie. She has zero interest in these.

PostPosted: Thu August 10, 2017 5:19 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Might have to be an after the wife goes asleep type of movie. She has zero interest in these.

FWIW, my wife is totally burnt out on the Superhero genre. She's completely over it and didn't really want to see WW. I had to talk it up for weeks before it dropped. And even then, it wasn't until friends were trying to organize group outings that she finally agreed to go. But that was more just to hang out with friends than because she had any interest in the film.

I'm sure you can tell where this is going.

She loved it. She's a way bigger fan of the movie than even I am. She fucking LOVES it.

PostPosted: Mon September 04, 2017 1:37 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

A lot of talk about Cheetah for the sequel, but first I want to clarify. Is comic-accurate Cheetah wearing a suit or she a cheetah-woman hybrid with no nipples or genitalia?

PostPosted: Mon September 04, 2017 1:45 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

She's a Cheetah hybrid...cursed by the gods.

PostPosted: Mon September 04, 2017 2:02 pm 
Future Drummer

Which came first, Cheetah or Tiger?

PostPosted: Mon September 04, 2017 6:38 pm 
AnalLog

Monkey_Driven wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

God damnit, now I want to see this.

Yeah I was gonna wait till I got the blu ray but may have to rent sooner now...

PostPosted: Sat December 23, 2017 3:07 am 
The worst

Watching this for the first time. I’m an hour in. It is fun and charming (and of historical/cultural/sociological importance). But best picture/director? Come on

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat December 23, 2017 3:32 am 
The worst

The town fight after no mans land was very good. I really don’t like all the slow motion though. A Zach Snyder legacy?

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat December 23, 2017 4:14 am 
The worst

Man, Ares was terrible. That design. That mustache.

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment