The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 516 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: bitcoin, the blockchain, and cryptocurrency
PostPosted: Thu July 13, 2017 9:13 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu July 13, 2017 9:51 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

I used to process Western Union transactions. At least back then, you had to give a security question or phrase for the receiver to answer to prove their identity (probably especially if you're sending to a country where people might not have IDs). If you're ever trying to steal someone's Western Union money, the security question amd answer were the same like 90% of the time--so, for example, if the phrase was "juice box" the one the receiver needed to give was also "juice box."

PostPosted: Thu July 13, 2017 9:57 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

Simple Torture wrote:
I used to process Western Union transactions. At least back then, you had to give a security question or phrase for the receiver to answer to prove their identity (probably especially if you're sending to a country where people might not have IDs). If you're ever trying to steal someone's Western Union money, the security question amd answer were the same like 90% of the time--so, for example, if the phrase was "juice box" the one the receiver needed to give was also "juice box."

Oh, good to know. Uh..

I gotto go..

do that..

thing.

Bye.

PostPosted: Thu July 13, 2017 4:37 pm 
Poster of the Year

Simple Torture wrote:

I learned about this Western Union security procedure in the John Steinbeck novel East of Eden.

PostPosted: Fri July 14, 2017 6:05 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

The corner store by my house has a bitcoin machine now, and I watched 2 dudes roll up in an SUV and cram $600+ dollars into it one night.

Was almost temped to ask them to sell me drugs right after that, but I try to remain composed at this point in my life.

PostPosted: Sat July 15, 2017 8:26 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

August 1st is a big date. Mark your calendars.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon July 17, 2017 1:33 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

pretty great interview on the currency, though 2014 might as well be 1814. Doesn't really scratch the surface on what the technology might be capable of.

The only problem I see is the transaction speed, which is much slower than credit cards, but that will probably get solved.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat August 05, 2017 7:59 am 

to the moooooooooooooooooon

PostPosted: Sat August 05, 2017 8:01 am 
Looks Like a Cat

BurtReynolds wrote:

How'd this turn out?

PostPosted: Sat August 05, 2017 8:19 am 

washing machine wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

How'd this turn out?

It was very strange. It's difficult to explain. Everyone thought the problem was solved a week in advance, with 90% agreement on proposed changes, but then some miners went rogue and decided to fork the currency anyway, on the same date (Aug 1). By fork I mean to create a new currency out of the blue with the same value as bitcoin that everyone gets for free (!).

Then people thought it would hurt bitcoin, and the fork (some bullshit called "bitcoin cash") would go to zero. But someone propped up BCC for long enough for most people to dump it. Meanwhile bitcoin surged.

It almost seems like billions of dollars were created out of thin air, but more likely some rich idiots lost a shit ton of money trying to take over, and everyone else had a good day.

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Sat August 05, 2017 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat August 05, 2017 8:20 am 

https://coinmarketcap.com/

PostPosted: Sat August 05, 2017 10:54 am 
Major Dude

I love lamp

PostPosted: Sat August 05, 2017 12:49 pm 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

I have no idea how the fuck all this shit works. It all sounds like stuff from a bad 80s science fiction movie.

PostPosted: Sat August 05, 2017 1:11 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I watched the Vice video posted above and a few others about bitcoin last night before bed. Peer to peer ledgers make sense, but that's about as far as I can get. All this talk of wallets, cryptosigs, and worldwide queues has me like...:? I did learn that there's a finite number of bitcoins in the world, so there's that.

This video with Aaron Paul and a Kentucky Wildcats fan is the one that ultimately did me in.

PostPosted: Sat August 05, 2017 7:15 pm 

I don't trust anyone in a flat brimmed cap.

- I have no idea how a coin becomes two coins without losing value, and in fact gains value, but here we are. I guess some big investors were waiting for this fork controversy to blow over before getting in.

- wallets are a bit weird, but they are basically vaults or accounts to store your coins. But if your physical wallet is lost or stolen, or if the online wallet is hacked, you could be totally fucked; there is no FDIC to bail you out.

- I feel like bitcoin as a store of value isn't really going anywhere anytime soon, and maybe none can work as a regular currency, but the potential of some of these altcoins could be huge, especially the industry specific ones. Like Ripple could allow for banks to wire money internationally far cheaper and more securely. It's ironic that some big banks are getting into the game given the libertarian origins of the concept. Some of the hardcore types aren't happy about that. They just want their stupid virtual gold.

- most of those coins are pump and dump scams though.

- smart contracts are fascinating.

PostPosted: Sat August 05, 2017 7:58 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

BurtReynolds wrote:
I feel like bitcoin as a store of value isn't really going anywhere anytime soon, and maybe none can work as a regular currency, but the potential of some of these altcoins could be huge, especially the industry specific ones.

You're referring to digital currencies within apps or businesses on a small scale and Ripple (not really sure what that is but I can guess) on a larger scale, right? This is the part that I can most easily wrap my head around. I'm intrigued by the idea of many specific digital currencies that each have a USD value. It's fun to start imagining the possibility of exchange rates between digital currencies. Could I swap Neko Atsume Fish for credits on my Venmo account or Snap Kitchen card, for instance? That would be interesting.

Quote:
I don't trust anyone in a flat brimmed cap.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun August 13, 2017 4:32 am 

PostPosted: Sun October 15, 2017 7:16 pm 

Hit $5700 last week. The forks don't seem to be worrying investors, but I have a feeling it will dip after the next one.

PostPosted: Sun October 15, 2017 11:48 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

bitcoin is beginning to remind me of when i was staring amazon stock in the face at ~$25 and was like 'nah... these guys won't ever get their shit together...'

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Thu November 02, 2017 10:47 pm 

$7000

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 516 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate