The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 620 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Stephen King's The Dark Tower
PostPosted: Thu July 27, 2017 6:50 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Thu July 27, 2017 8:13 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

stip wrote:
granted im not a stephen king fan, but in general i found the series a bit weak in this post George R Martin world. Fantasy has really upped its game

There really has been a lot of great fantasy coming out this past decade.

PostPosted: Thu July 27, 2017 8:14 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

bune wrote:

I think there is a thread for this

PostPosted: Thu July 27, 2017 8:29 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

IT does not search well.

PostPosted: Thu July 27, 2017 9:04 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Who here will watch Dark Tower first?

PostPosted: Thu July 27, 2017 9:33 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I will. I will watch it first.

PostPosted: Thu July 27, 2017 9:38 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

durdencommatyler wrote:

Look forward to hearing about that. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu July 27, 2017 9:47 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Anders wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Look forward to hearing about that. :thumbsup:

I actually have no idea when I'll see this. But I'd love to see at the first possible showing.

PostPosted: Tue August 01, 2017 6:28 pm 
Rank This Poster

No early reviews and lots of new stories about its troubled production.

Hmmmm...

PostPosted: Tue August 01, 2017 7:00 pm 
The worst

Anders wrote:
stip wrote:
granted im not a stephen king fan, but in general i found the series a bit weak in this post George R Martin world. Fantasy has really upped its game

There really has been a lot of great fantasy coming out this past decade.

Have you read R Scott Baaker?

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu August 03, 2017 3:15 pm 
Champion of RM

Reviews are in. I'm sorry, Joey.

PostPosted: Thu August 03, 2017 3:18 pm 
Rank This Poster

Yeah, that's too bad. I was hoping it'd be good. Love Idris.

PostPosted: Thu August 03, 2017 3:19 pm 
The Master

CopperTom wrote:

I read several last night. They all had the same gripe: Doesn't convey the sense of world building that the books do, but is simultaneously underwhelming as a standalone story...Which is basically how The Gunslinger reads, honestly. So I'm still hopeful that this could be an entertaining film, and could be the start of an awesome franchise if they can expand on the story and get a more visionary director for the next installment.

Edit: Sort of like the first JJ Abrams Star Trek movie, which sort of sucked, but was also just fun enough to pique the non-fans interest in future installments.

PostPosted: Thu August 03, 2017 3:22 pm 
The worst

The leads are getting praised for the performances, at least. If you're already a fan of the series and you like watching the characters your brain will go a long way to fleshing out narrative or world building.

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu August 03, 2017 3:28 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

I read several last night. They all had the same gripe: Doesn't convey the sense of world building that the books do, but is simultaneously underwhelming as a standalone story...Which is basically how The Gunslinger reads, honestly. So I'm still hopeful that this could be an entertaining film, and could be the start of an awesome franchise if they can expand on the story and get a more visionary director for the next installment.

You read a different version of The Gunslinger than I did.

It seemed pretty obvious to me from the first trailer that the movie wasn't going to be what I wanted the movie to be. I've adjusted my expectations since then. We'll see how I feel about it. But I've been a little bummed/worried since the first trailer.

The cast is great. And it looks like they're really moving forward with the TV series (which is where this thing belongs anyway). One of the folks from Walking Dead and The Shield is being tapped to showrun and Idris will star. I'll take it!

PostPosted: Thu August 03, 2017 3:30 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

CopperTom wrote:

I've never trusted reviews before and I won't trust them now. Having said that though, I'm not surprised. Reading up on the production problems and the "too many cooks" issues it had from the beginning. It's a shame they couldn't give this thing Disney/Lucasfilm money (though I totally understand why) and replace Arcel and have more extensive reshoots. But here we are.

Bottom line, I'm still looking forward to it. But my expectations were adjusted a long time ago. Really, the worst part is that it's such a waste of the two leads. Those guys really deserve to play these characters and give them all the gravitas in the universe.

PostPosted: Thu August 03, 2017 3:31 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

Technically, I may have: I read the original version, not the updated version. But that aside, did you really find The Gunslinger to feel A) like a humongous world or B) to be particularly riveting as a fantasy western story? Because I didn't get either of those from the book. It certainly wasn't bad; it was just sort of quiet and there.

PostPosted: Thu August 03, 2017 3:34 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

Technically, I may have: I read the original version, not the updated version. But that aside, did you really find The Gunslinger to feel A) like a humongous world or B) to be particularly riveting as a fantasy western story? Because I didn't get either of those from the book. It certainly wasn't bad; it was just sort of quiet and there.

I also read the original and not the revised/updated version. And yes. And absolutely. Though, the "western" aspect is the least interesting to me and I wouldn't probably categorize it as a "fantasy-western" personally. Those elements are there and obviously super important to King. But I'm much more in line with Elba's reading of Roland as a knight more than a cowboy.

PostPosted: Thu August 03, 2017 3:44 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

I also read the original and not the revised/updated version. And yes. And absolutely. Though, the "western" aspect is the least interesting to me and I wouldn't probably categorize it as a "fantasy-western" personally. Those elements are there and obviously super important to King. But I'm much more in line with Elba's reading of Roland as a knight more than a cowboy.

That's interesting, and perhaps something I'll understand better when I eventually read the rest of the series.

PostPosted: Thu August 03, 2017 4:43 pm 
Major Dude

tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

That's interesting, and perhaps something I'll understand better when I eventually read the rest of the series.

I read Eyes of the Dragon as a prelude to reading it so I totally saw Roland more as a knight.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 620 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 31  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment