The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: With ten years left...
PostPosted: Tue August 01, 2017 5:41 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

bodysnatcher wrote:
why do you have a 6 year old Rolling Stone magazine laying around?

I was at my drummers house. I've got older Guitar Worlds, however. :P

PostPosted: Tue August 01, 2017 5:42 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

TremorJam wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

your drummer needs to get his act together

PostPosted: Tue August 01, 2017 5:42 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I'll always side with new music first - I could care less if they continue to tour. I really would like new music via a new record, followed by a Lost Dogs II.

PostPosted: Tue August 01, 2017 5:45 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Coach wrote:
I'll always side with new music first - I could care less if they continue to tour. I really would like new music via a new record, followed by a Lost Dogs II.

I'd prefer a new album, just to see how they follow up the last two. LD2 would be cool, obviously, but they aren't going to blow their wad on unreleased material. They have a lot of years to keep the Pearl Jam machine running once they stop making new music. I've grown tired of all the touring bc it's just kind of the same thing over and over now. I wish they'd mix it up and do a Benaroya-style tour, but they'd never do that.

I don't want to see another show until there are new songs to be played.

PostPosted: Tue August 01, 2017 5:46 pm 

bodysnatcher wrote:
TremorJam wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

your drummer needs to get his act together

He really does. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue August 01, 2017 5:57 pm 

bodysnatcher wrote:
Coach wrote:

I'd prefer a new album, just to see how they follow up the last two. LD2 would be cool, obviously, but they aren't going to blow their wad on unreleased material. They have a lot of years to keep the Pearl Jam machine running once they stop making new music. I've grown tired of all the touring bc it's just kind of the same thing over and over now. I wish they'd mix it up and do a Benaroya-style tour, but they'd never do that.

I don't want to see another show until there are new songs to be played.

This is why I didn't really care about the Tour last year. I bought tickets because my bass player, whom had never seen them wanted to go and they ended up cancelling. :? I tried to talk him into going to Hampton or Columbia, but he didn't want to make the drive. Man, I was pissed at him and PJ over that for awhile.. :|

PostPosted: Tue August 01, 2017 6:03 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

The Columbia show was a fun one

PostPosted: Tue August 01, 2017 6:10 pm 

Highly doubtful they'll ever go back to the grind. Every young artist wants what they currently have: no obligation to the album release cycle and total freedom.

I think they'll follow more of the Tom Petty route, and come out with stuff only when they're good and ready, and I'm fine with that.

There was a time when an album was needed every 1-3 years, often times artists go at this pace for just as much business related reason as for artistic reasons. Same with touring, I see bands that go out every single summer, and it's really to keep their bills paid. PJ do some of that, but it's relatively limited.

I want to know that when they do come with something or go out and play shows, it's purely because they want to. I guess that's the opposite of what alot of people around here think, that they've lost passion therefore they don't do as much. I actually think it's much wiser to stay home until the passion strikes. I think that's what they do for the most part.

PostPosted: Tue August 01, 2017 6:11 pm 
The worst

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
stip wrote:
And since I'll keep carrying the 'people would like the last 3 albums a lot more if they were remixed/remastered/rewhatever the term is' I'd love to see that happen

Not the last 3, just S/T.

The last two sucked and I could care less how they were produced, the music is still not good.

Just you wait!

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue August 01, 2017 11:02 pm 
AnalLog

Brett wrote:
Mine wrote:
For me the writing, as in whatever gets them the songwriting credit, is not even close to being the main issue.
What bothers me is the compositions as a whole that sound as if all of them are in the front seat. It started with s/t. A song like Come Back begs for a stripped down arrangement that gives it an intimate atmosphere. What they seem to be going for is a take on the kitsch 80's aesthetic as much as they possibly can which doesn't really work on most of the songs. Restrained compositions were something that they did routinely from Vs. to Riot Act but are practically gone since S/t.
What I'm trying to say is regardless of who is credited for the music they end up giving that kitsch sound to every song more or less.

Okay, so you're saying the arrangements are too elaborate, too full, or too slick. That seems to be a pretty common criticism, what with all the talk of keys, strings, "lasers," etc.

I'd have to agree that their compositional style isn't really supportive of that approach, so a lot of times it feels like an analysis of elements of popular music was conducted, and then the results were applied to the newest Pearl Jam™ product.

Agreed

PostPosted: Tue August 01, 2017 11:02 pm 
AnalLog

Brett wrote:
Mine wrote:
For me the writing, as in whatever gets them the songwriting credit, is not even close to being the main issue.
What bothers me is the compositions as a whole that sound as if all of them are in the front seat. It started with s/t. A song like Come Back begs for a stripped down arrangement that gives it an intimate atmosphere. What they seem to be going for is a take on the kitsch 80's aesthetic as much as they possibly can which doesn't really work on most of the songs. Restrained compositions were something that they did routinely from Vs. to Riot Act but are practically gone since S/t.
What I'm trying to say is regardless of who is credited for the music they end up giving that kitsch sound to every song more or less.

Okay, so you're saying the arrangements are too elaborate, too full, or too slick. That seems to be a pretty common criticism, what with all the talk of keys, strings, "lasers," etc.

I'd have to agree that their compositional style isn't really supportive of that approach, so a lot of times it feels like an analysis of elements of popular music was conducted, and then the results were applied to the newest Pearl Jam™ product.

Agreed

PostPosted: Tue August 01, 2017 11:08 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Got Some wrote:
Brett wrote:
Mine wrote:

Agreed

BoB bought a "popular music add-ons" Pro Tools package

PostPosted: Tue August 01, 2017 11:50 pm 
Future Drummer

Coach wrote:

*COULDN'T

:cop:

PostPosted: Wed August 02, 2017 1:53 am 
The Master

Iholdthepain wrote:
Coach wrote:

*COULDN'T

:cop:

Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed August 02, 2017 1:55 am 
Rank This Poster

daft twat wrote:
They may very well do an overly praised album, Super Bowl appearance, and overpriced tour after they all hit 60, but what would you like to see from this band before they're all 60?

1) Reunion with Dave A. at Rock Hall induction.
2) An acoustic amphitheater tour - Gorge, Red Rocks, Alpine, etc.
3) Lost Dogs 2, especially if Cold Concession and Let It Ride are any indication of what they have.
4) An album without Brenden.
5) One show co headlining with Soundgarden, TOTD encore.

Boy, this sure is depressing one year later.

PostPosted: Wed August 02, 2017 2:00 am 
Future Drummer

daft twat wrote:
daft twat wrote:
They may very well do an overly praised album, Super Bowl appearance, and overpriced tour after they all hit 60, but what would you like to see from this band before they're all 60?

1) Reunion with Dave A. at Rock Hall induction.
2) An acoustic amphitheater tour - Gorge, Red Rocks, Alpine, etc.
3) Lost Dogs 2, especially if Cold Concession and Let It Ride are any indication of what they have.
4) An album without Brenden.
5) One show co headlining with Soundgarden, TOTD encore.

Boy, this sure is depressing one year later.

*Dave K

PostPosted: Wed August 02, 2017 2:23 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PJ will play the Super Bowl within the next 5-10 years, guaranteed

PostPosted: Wed August 02, 2017 2:29 am 
Future Drummer

the squid recommended an experimental instrumental album...

'Maybe they'll turn Boom's keyboard up.'

bring Jack in for a track or three?

PostPosted: Wed August 02, 2017 2:49 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Iholdthepain wrote:
'Maybe they'll turn Boom's keyboard up.'

PostPosted: Wed August 02, 2017 3:49 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

Iholdthepain wrote:
'Maybe they'll blow Boom's keyboard up.'

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam