The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: With ten years left...
PostPosted: Wed June 08, 2016 5:11 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I just hope we get a few more pictures where Ed is thinking about something like reallllly hard.

PostPosted: Wed June 08, 2016 5:28 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

10 more pics of Ed's new year's eve man pile

PostPosted: Wed June 08, 2016 6:18 pm 
The Master

Hopefully a couple more tours like this year's. Don't really care if there is a new album at this point. Maybe release some more b-sides and an EP if they really want to put together a few new songs.

PostPosted: Tue June 14, 2016 12:33 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Mine wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Mine wrote:
What i said earlier was that the songs at their core weren't better or worse.

I think you're nuts.

Mine wrote:
I didn't talk about production and performances but compositions and arrangements which can vary considerably for the same song.

When talking about a studio recording, I don't think those things are necessarily easily divisible.

Just lighten the fuck up.

Regardless of the process itself you can at least roughly differentiate between the skeleton of the song, the arrangement and the production. You can separate the melody, structure, lyrics, a riff, chord progressions (none of which changed drastically on the last 3 records) from the arrangement in detail. Performances and production aren't even particularly relevant here.
It's especially pertinent with Pearl Jam because they describe their process as there being a point when they do a rough version of the songs that they further work on.
It's why people have different opinions about the demo version of Speed Of Sound and the album version. And it's not because of the production, the strength of the song or the performances. It's the arrangement the band gave it that makes for the biggest difference.
Another example of what i'm talking about is Unthought Known a song that needed an arrangement that elevated the build up that is written in the song. But instead of doing that, like they did on In My Tree with the layered arrangement, it "builds" to the piano solo which sounds as if the song crashed into itself when it should have expanded sonically.
When some of them say they wished they could have written better parts for the No Code songs when promoting Lightning Bolt, what they mean is they wish No Code sounded more like the last 2 records do basically. This to me is the main limiting factor because this particular approach they are so fond of very rarely works for them.
What was probably the approach that works best for them is Binaural, another difficult record, which was the closest of each of them doing whatever they pleased with minimum cooperation.

And i've had enough of people here being assholes and insulting me for having opinions that differ from theirs, especially when it's about such trivial topics as Pearl Jam and bloody Lady Gaga.
It's ridiculous how the same discerning listeners with superior understanding of everything pertaining music that were ecstatic at the news Brendan O'Brien was again producing a record with them, started blaming for him for everything that is wrong with the band right after Backspacer was released. Before Backspacer came out it was outrageous to suggest O'Brien may not have been that influential on the 4 records he did with them in the 90's because for the geniuses here it was obvious his influence was essential. Not the only time the connoisseurs were full of shit either
No wonder so many people left the forum or barely post if every time one tries to say something you get attacked because, for some reason, it's terrible to have a differing opinion or just try to discuss something on a fucking forum.
I don't give a shit what people think of my posts but at least i've never insulted or been a jerk to anybody even when some of you were being jerks to me.

This was Mine's last post... I hope he's found peace, wherever he is

PostPosted: Tue June 14, 2016 1:35 pm 
Future Drummer

I'm used to people not being able to "get" the albums from Vitalogy-Riot Act. What baffles me is when people think that PJ's current style of tossing off boring songs in between manicures so they can be compiled into something they can tour stadiums behind a'la The Rolling Stones, is somehow a return to the first two albums.

PostPosted: Wed June 15, 2016 12:54 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

McParadigm wrote:
I just hope we get a few more pictures where Ed is thinking about something like reallllly hard.

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Wed June 15, 2016 3:31 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
I'm used to people not being able to "get" the albums from Vitalogy-Riot Act. What baffles me is when people think that PJ's current style of tossing off boring songs in between manicures so they can be compiled into something they can tour stadiums behind a'la The Rolling Stones, is somehow a return to the first two albums.

So you're baffled by what the band thinks.

PostPosted: Wed June 15, 2016 11:17 am 
Future Drummer

McParadigm wrote:
Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:

So you're baffled by what the band thinks.

The same band that bitched and moaned for years about how much CD's suck and vinyl rules, and then proceeded to cut their vinyl from CD masters?

No, I'm not baffled.

PostPosted: Wed June 15, 2016 12:50 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

ha ha I forgot that happened

PostPosted: Mon July 31, 2017 9:28 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I would be really excited for a Lost Dogs part two now.

PostPosted: Tue August 01, 2017 12:54 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

Agree a second Lost Dogs would be the most interesting to me.
And I will be perfectly happy if they keep doing short tour runs nearly every year.

PostPosted: Tue August 01, 2017 1:53 pm 
The worst

A new album will always be at the top of my priority list

followed by a LD compilation

followed by tours

And since I'll keep carrying the 'people would like the last 3 albums a lot more if they were remixed/remastered/rewhatever the term is' I'd love to see that happen

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue August 01, 2017 1:59 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

stip wrote:
And since I'll keep carrying the 'people would like the last 3 albums a lot more if they were remixed/remastered/rewhatever the term is' I'd love to see that happen

Not the last 3, just S/T.

The last two sucked and I could care less how they were produced, the music is still not good.

PostPosted: Tue August 01, 2017 2:08 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

What was up with the inside artwork on S/T? Something about the whole thing with the cover, the artwork, the name, the production, the group of songs, just seemed a bit off for me.

PostPosted: Tue August 01, 2017 2:11 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Tacky is the word

PostPosted: Tue August 01, 2017 2:21 pm 
The Master

Yucky is the word.

PostPosted: Tue August 01, 2017 2:38 pm 
The Master

Photoshopy is the word.

PostPosted: Tue August 01, 2017 2:41 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Tue August 01, 2017 4:24 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

When I first saw the artwork for S/T I was reminded of NIN and Tool for some reason. :lol: I wish the super deluxe box sets didn't stop. I was really excited anticipating the No Code/Yield and Binaural/Riot Act sets.. Lost Dogs 2 would be welcomed by me. I want new music, but not in the same vein as the last couple of records. They were okay, but I'm hoping for something a little more challenging next time.

Can they still get in a room to write/record longer than a couple of weeks? Half of LB was recorded in 2011 and half in 2013. Both sessions were around 2-3 weeks. I was rolling a joint on a Rolling Stone from 2011 last week and afterwards, started flipping through it and found an interview with Ed where he mentioned recording the follow up to BS. The last time we know that they spent an extended period of time together was 2005-2006.

PostPosted: Tue August 01, 2017 5:36 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

why do you have a 6 year old Rolling Stone magazine laying around?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam