The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2677 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 134  Next
 Post subject: Re: What podcasts are you listening to?
PostPosted: Fri July 21, 2017 3:07 pm 
Posting (live)

No Plus Ones has a few good eps. Dan Ozzi has some good guests and they discuss different aspects of bands/music industry. A couple of the reunion show eps were really insightful.

PostPosted: Fri July 21, 2017 3:21 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Ooooohhh

PostPosted: Sat July 22, 2017 2:54 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Simple Torture wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
Sword and Scale episodes 93 and 94 (and the host's follow-up apology/clarification on Soundcloud) were the most worthless fucking podcast episodes I've ever listened to. What a waste of time. Mike Boudet is a goddamn dilweed. My podcast feed is down to just MBMBaM, Chapo Trap House and Radiolab.

Details? I only got through like the first 15 episodes and was like "Meh."

Yeah. So I was already listening very sporadically because I already thought the guy was a dick, but some episodes were still interesting enough to stay subscribed. Episodes 93 and 94 were about the story of Andrew Blaze, an internet animator who killed some people. Andrew identifies as female, which Boudet (the host) already knew about, yet constantly refers to them with the wrong pronoun and, through clearly-sarcastic readings of some social media posts, implicitly mocks the concept of "misgendering". Which, fine. Whatever. If you're the kind of dick who acts like they're hugely inconvenienced by such a simple thing, fine, you're a douche, but it's not a dealbreaker. However, the episode itself was also SO GODDAMN BORING: several 20-minute chunks of audio from youtube clips of the killer ranting about a bunch of shit, with very little detail about the actual crime. The worst part of it all is the inordinately long, awkward phone call (actually several phone calls) Boudet has with an online acquaintance of the killer's, a person who has absolutely NOTHING TO DO with the murders, a person who is clearly not all there mentally, badgering them about why they don't feel bad that they knew a serial killer, asking them the same question over and over again. Both episodes got a lot of backlash, so Boudet throws out an "announcement" on Soundcloud that he didn't know the killer was trans until after his phone call with their friend (bullshit, he mentions it early on episode one), and that the killer's friend, who Boudet says """""claims""""" to be autistic, asked him to remove the very awkward interview from the episode but instead he is going to release the entire interview. Why? What for? It's not interesting or even related to the killing. The whole thing is just a waste of time.

Boudet's weird judginess, gross editorializing, and audio dumping are all things I already disliked about the show, but this was the breaking point. i googled "Mike Boudet asshole" and, thankfully, instead of pics of his butthole, I found this thread where people talk about his behavior: apparently he threatens people, doxxes people, bans/blocks people immediately if they offer even a small piece of constructive criticism, writing everybody who doesn't kiss his ass as a "hater", constantly badgers his listeners for money (on the podcast itself and on social media) even though the podcast already brings in tens of thousands of dollars a month through Patreon and he only releases two episodes a month (MANY OF WHICH CONSIST MOSTLY OF VERY LONG, PUBLICLY AVAILABLE AUDIO CLIPS), has repeatedly asked his female fans for nudes, disses fellow true crime podcast hosts for merely existing, repeatedly moans about "the death of the age of reason" and "social justice warriors" because of course he does, ignores/sometimes outright attacks people for requesting that a traumatic moment of their loved ones' lives aren't included in the show, etc. etc. etc. This isn't made up; there are screenshots of most of that shit available here. Guy's a fucking douche and I'm mad I ever donated to his show.

PostPosted: Sat July 22, 2017 2:58 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Wow. I haven't actually listened to an episode of Sword & Scale in months. I think I quit back when the episodes were in the 70s. I'm gonna go ahead and just unsubscribe from it now.

PostPosted: Sun July 23, 2017 5:37 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Self Titled you stupid bitch. I wrote all that for you. Acknowledge it NOW

PostPosted: Wed July 26, 2017 9:56 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Been cherry picking episodes of the Runner's World podcast lately. This one with Peter Sagal goes beyond running. It's really good. He discusses the intimacy of radio, the rise of podcasts, Serial and a lot of other cool things.

http://www.runnersworld.com/the-runners ... eter-sagal

PostPosted: Wed July 26, 2017 10:50 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Mike is on the Steve Jones Podcast.

Should be cool.

PostPosted: Wed July 26, 2017 11:03 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

washing machine wrote:
Been cherry picking episodes of the Runner's World podcast lately. This one with Peter Sagal goes beyond running. It's really good. He discusses the intimacy of radio, the rise of podcasts, Serial and a lot of other cool things.

I remember on the day of the Boston Marathon bombing that he was working as a correspondent for NPR--he was running the race when the bombs went off, so he just called NPR on his cell to describe the scene.

PostPosted: Thu July 27, 2017 12:03 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Simple Torture wrote:
washing machine wrote:

I remember on the day of the Boston Marathon bombing that he was working as a correspondent for NPR--he was running the race when the bombs went off, so he just called NPR on his cell to describe the scene.

I didn't know that. He talks a bit about his book which is about how bad that whole year was for him.

This was a great interview. He had a lot of good stuff to say about funny people getting serious when they talk about running and about the depression that comes from realizing after a running injury that the only thing that would really get you out of that funk would be the one thing you can't do: run.

PostPosted: Thu July 27, 2017 12:05 am 
Poster of the Year

Just finished up the Last Podcast on the Left's Timothy McVeigh series. It was interesting.

PostPosted: Thu July 27, 2017 3:06 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

washing machine wrote:

You know, I listen to him every week on Wait Wait and I didn't even think you were talking about him until I saw this post:
Simple Torture wrote:
washing machine wrote:

PostPosted: Thu July 27, 2017 8:22 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Argo or anyone else, how's Homecoming and Reply All been lately? I fell way behind a few months ago.

PostPosted: Thu July 27, 2017 10:06 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

I've never been a listener of either of those shows, so you'll have to rely on anyone else.

PostPosted: Thu July 27, 2017 10:38 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I thought you and I were the two Gimlet fanboys on the thread? Maybe I'm thinking of durdencomma

EDIT: After confirming that you did mention Gimlet a while back I realize that I was mixing up show names. Homecoming was that fictional thriller thing with David Schwimmer. Heavyweight is what I was trying to ask about in the previous post. Whoops.

So, uh, how's Heavyweight been?

PostPosted: Thu July 27, 2017 10:51 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

You're also on record as liking Gimlet shows in ST's super helpful RMer podcast guide. You should check it out if you haven't already. Again, super helpful guide.

PostPosted: Thu July 27, 2017 11:45 pm 

I hate that ST thing. I think it's the only thing ST has ever done that I've disliked. It's not a guide, it's just who mentioned which podcast first. And Heavyweight hasn't had a new episode since last fall. It was a great first season though. I can only pray that it does not go the way of its spiritual predecessor, the marginally superior Mystery Show.

PostPosted: Fri July 28, 2017 12:20 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Yeah, that would suck. Heard the theme song on a playlist today which prompted the post. Good to know I haven't missed anything.

PostPosted: Fri July 28, 2017 12:58 am 

washing machine wrote:
Yeah, that would suck. Heard the theme song on a playlist today which prompted the post. Good to know I haven't missed anything.

Yes, that's a good song. I listen to it periodically.

PostPosted: Fri July 28, 2017 1:22 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

Hey, Argo: get fucked!

PostPosted: Fri July 28, 2017 1:29 am 

well i never

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2677 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 134  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment