The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post subject: Best and worst LIVE song from each album?
PostPosted: Mon July 17, 2017 5:07 pm 
Future Drummer

Now the criteria here is what you choose to make it. For example, a song they play all the time and you don't think they play well you might well pick for worst, even if there's another one they barely play that is actually worse. Because if they play one song all the time that you hate it might well be a detriment to their live shows (I'll get to that)

You can name more than one if like me you can't help but do so.

TEN:

This is such a hard one to do. Oh god. SO MANY Good songs.

These songs are ALL SUCH STAPLES and they are ALL LIVE HIGHLIGHTS! I literally don't know what to choose because there's SO MANY

Best: Release
Not sure there's anything that better sets the tone of the show than Release. Its wonderful, and Eddie's soaring vocals and the crowd singalong is just so good.

Honorable Mentions: Jeremy (great singalong), Why Go (tons of energy), Black (one of the best ever, but weakened nowadays by Eddie's vocals, though heightened again by McCready), Alive (their anthem song), Porch (A great set closer)

Worst: Oceans.
It's a great song, but EDDIE. CANNOT. SING. IT. Honestly this song sounded rough sometimes even when Eddie COULD sing, and now its practically intolerable. I actually cringe sometimes when I hear him attempt to do this song.

Honorable Mentions: Even Flow (one of their best songs, stripped of everything that makes it good. Honestly its still pretty good live and gets a good reaction of course, so it might not belong here but its just that it could be so much better), Garden (I like the song sort of but to me it stops the momentum of a show and its one of my least favorites on Ten), Once (I think they take it too slow and it drags and feels like Im trudging through mud, which is weird because usually they do the opposite. Eddie also sounds bad on it nowadays.)

VS:

Best: Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town
I will always love this song, I don't care. Its overplayed because its wonderful. I do think sometimes it drags and seems plodding, especially when its played early in a show. Ive heard some late set ones from like 2006 that were great. An amazing singalong.

Honorable Mentions: Daughter (amazing live, I almost put this as my choice, its the clear second for me. I love the tags but wish they were more creative with them and didnt just do the same ones. I loved when Eddie did Let it Go in Italy. More of that please it was fun.), Animal (Always a highlight especially in earlier years)

Worst: None
Honestly I couldn't do it. Every song on this album is great live. They never play WMA. I know they did when they played the whole album but I havent listened enough to judge it. Maybe that's the answer. I also don't like RVM at all and Eddie changing the melody makes me like it less, but the extended breakdown/instrumentals elevates it from the album version enough that I can't put it here. If I like it better live than on the CD I just can't list it.

Vitalogy:

Best: Better Man
Wow. This song is SO GOOD LIVE. The extensions to the end of the song work so perfectly, its maybe their best live song PERIOD. Bonus is Eddie still sounds pretty good on it and Matt Cameron actually does very wonderfully on this one. When I think of the fill before "SHE LOVED HIM" its Matt's I think of. Save it For Later tag is fun especially when he sings the whole song which he did at MSG this year.

Honorable Mentions: Corduroy. (Great song for crowd singalong and that bridge is great, Eddie's weakening vocals too hurt it)

Worst: Last Exit
I never felt like this song worked live nearly as much as it does on the album. Its a great album starter to set the tone, but its a weird song to throw in the middle of your show for me. I just can't listen to it as a standalone song and a lot of what it makes it set the tone so well for Vitalogy just doesn't come across that well live anyways.

Honorable Mentions: Immortality (Matt Cameron on this song really ruins a lot of it, and the solos on the album are so good that sometimes changing them takes away a lot. Ive listened to this live waiting to be blown away like on the album and then ended up going back to the album version instead afterwards. I didn't list it as my answer because there are some good versions too).

Post subject: Re: Best and worst LIVE song from each album?
PostPosted: Mon July 17, 2017 5:07 pm 
Future Drummer

More to come later <_<

Also you guys should do writeups like this I wanna read everybody's opinions these are just mine

PostPosted: Mon July 17, 2017 5:17 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

<_<

Poster of the Year

You lost me at "worst: oceans"

Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Lol at Last Exit being the worst. Dude, that is one of the best things about a live show.

PostPosted: Mon July 17, 2017 5:18 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

stip, knock this second account shit off, you know better.

PostPosted: Mon July 17, 2017 5:22 pm 
Future Drummer

Finally, somebody gets it... Oceans and Last Exit should never be played live again!

Bring back Dissident!!

Never stop!!!

PostPosted: Mon July 17, 2017 5:22 pm 

lol

PostPosted: Mon July 17, 2017 5:29 pm 
Future Drummer

cutuphalfdead wrote:
You lost me at "worst: oceans"

Well what would YOU say is the worst live song from Ten?

Im not ranking the songs themselves, Oceans is a great song, Eddie just cant sing it live at all

PostPosted: Mon July 17, 2017 7:42 pm 
Future Drummer

No Code:

Best: Present Tense
This is maybe the easiest one so far. This song is SO good live. Its better than the album. The ending with the intensity, the lighting, its all phenomenal, and then that sonic explosion going into Mike's beautiful guitar line. For me, live, it brings out even more of this song and that ending than you hear on the album. The effect live is just so striking its an EXPERIENCE. The singalong is also great it shows off different aspects of Ed's vocals. The ONE FLAW is 'all-en-fucking trip'.

Honorable Mentions: Red Mosquito (love it), Sometimes (Different from the album but great too. I like both versions)

Worst: Lukin
It kind of has charm but....I mean...Eddie just growls gibberish. I dont think he even knows the lyrics.

Honorable Mentions: Who You Are (With Matt Cameron)

Yield:

Best: Do the Evolution
I was torn between this and one of the honorable mentions, but I had to go with this one. Its a live staple for a reason. Its great. The crowd gets into it, it has energy...I think the live versions lose a bit from the studio track in terms of the general sound and texture but it makes up for it in pure energy. This one is played so much for a reason and a great addition to their live repertoire

Honorable Mentions: In Hiding (one of the best singalongs, I almost put this at best but it cant really beat DTE), Brain of J (one of their best live rockers), Wishlist (the extended versions are fun, theres been some really good long Wishlists)

Worst: Given to Fly
JUST HOLD ON AND LISTEN FOR A SEC! I agree its not actually their WORST live (all those yesteradys, push me pull me, can never live up to the record version) but the reason I put this here is they play it ALL the time and the song on the album is SO VERY GOOD. The live version is taken at about 8x speed, with NONE of the interesting bits...the drums are worse, and Eddie's soaring vocals are gone. Yes, the crowd still likes it, but its just so disappointing for me live now. Compared to what it was in say...1998

Honorable Mentions: The ones mentioned above (ATY, PMPM) are pretty bad compared to the albums but they also never play them so it doesn't take away too much. But otherwise Low Light. I don't think they nail the feel of it

Binaural:

Best: Grievance
I don't like this song much but they nail it live. Eddie sounds great on it even in modern versions. I dunno. I really like this one live if they don't play Binaural songs much around it. Im not a big Binaural fan but when this comes out in the middle of a show I dig it - I just don't like too many Binaural songs in a row.
Honorable Mentions: Light Years (IMO better live than on the album due to the increased tempo and bouncier guitar)

Worst: Evacuation
I don't think its particularly bad but I can't think of any of these songs they butcher live, and whichever ones they aer I probably haven't heard since they rarely play these.

PostPosted: Mon July 17, 2017 7:54 pm 
Future Drummer

Riot Act:

Best: Love Boat Captain
I like this song. Its a good song to get the crowd involved on an album without many songs that get the crowd involved. None of these songs are particularly good live though.

Honorable Mentions: All or None, Save You

Worst: ??

Honestly I don't hear these live enough to know, but none of them are particularly great.

Pearl Jam:

Best: Severed Hand
Actually a lot on this album are pretty good, in my opinion. This is a strong one that seems made for the live setting. I dunno that any on this album stand out that much but its the opposite of Riot Act in that a lot of them are good.

Honorable Mentions: Come Back, Life Wasted, World Wide Suicide, Comatose, Parachutes, Gone

Worst: None
These are all pretty good live to be honest. I wouldn't want a whole show of them but its a good album to add to their live repertoire.

Backspacer:

Best: Unthought Known
Probably the one they play the most, and the best addition to their live repertoire. I think in these later albums when the songs are no longer classics the question is which songs will stick around after the tour for the specific album? This is one that has endured on as a mainstay in their setlists and I think it deserves its space for the most part.

Honorable Mentions: The Fixer (Very very catchy, I think they should play it more though the lyrics suck), Got Some, Force of Nature (I honestly liked this live in the clips Ive seen)

Worst: Just Breathe
Its not bad I just never want to hear it <_<

Lightning Bolt:

Best: Lightning Bolt
Absolutely no question. Probably the best additions to their live songs in the last three albums. Its so good live and gets the crowd pumped up. Im happy they made this song, as on an album that in my opinion was full of more misses than hits, this was their biggest success. I feel like its a song they were looking to create for a while given how much they play Baba, Rockin in the Free World, etc...they wanted their arena rock song and they got it and I think it works. Also, Mike's solo at the end is always great and makes it stand above the album. This was amazing at the global citizen festival show in my opinion

Honorable Mentions: Pendulum (One of their absolute best openers I LOVE how they used it as like an intro to the real opener. GREAT use of this song)

Worst: Mind Your Manners
Ok Im gonna admit this is the song that inspired me to make this topic. I FRICKIN HATE THEM DOING THIS SONG ALL THE TIME. They OPENED with this at the global citizen festival, they played it on TV! The reason this is their worst song to me live is because of what it does to their concerts. I think they played it at every single show since it came out, and if it wasnt every one it was CLOSE to every one. This song is NOT as good as Eddie thinks it is. It doesnt sound good live, and the ending call and response is always SO AWKWARD. I cant figure out who sounds more awkward on the end, Eddie or Stone/Mike/whoever is singing the responses.

They think this song is amazing and its just not. I would so love them to stop putting it in every show. Im so disappointed whenever I hear it

Honorable Mentions: Sirens (Great song in my opinion, but not done justice live), Getaway (Tuned down and doesnt sound that good), Let the Records Play (not bad but whoever wants to hear it)

PostPosted: Mon July 17, 2017 8:13 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

fuck me there are a couple of moments where mikejason makes sense here

**jumps off building**

PostPosted: Mon July 17, 2017 8:24 pm 
Future Drummer

bodysnatcher wrote:

**jumps off building**

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon July 17, 2017 8:44 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

mikejasond wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

**jumps off building**

:thumbsup:

Are you pro snatch suicide?

PostPosted: Mon July 17, 2017 9:46 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Good thread idea, mjd. And I too agree with some of your choices. The one I'll make a point of disagreeing on is Present Tense. Ed fucking up the lyrics (not just the en-fucking trip part you mentioned, he ALWAYS fucks up the second verse) just kills it for me. Also, the studio cut is so delicate and then so powerful and then becomes so delicate again, this is something that is very difficult to replicate in the live setting, and they seldom do the album cut justice.

PostPosted: Tue July 18, 2017 3:07 pm 
Future Drummer

Guys you guys are supposed to do it also :(

PostPosted: Tue July 18, 2017 3:25 pm 

mikejasond wrote:
Guys you guys are supposed to do it also :(

Sorry, friend. I am currently in the hospital recovering from the aneurysm I had when I read that you think Last Exit is a bad live song.

PostPosted: Tue July 18, 2017 4:50 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

:haha:

PostPosted: Tue July 18, 2017 7:22 pm 
The worst

Ten

Best: Release, Alive, or Jeremy. I don't know that I can choose. All three are magical in their way - the later two in part for the way the audience is worked into the song, but that is a part of the live experience

Worst: Garden - it's a weaker song to begin with, and doesn't really generate any particularly striking energy to replace the lost atmosphere, which is the best part of the song

Lighting Bolt

Best: Lighting Bolt, for the addition of the full outro
Worst: Probably Getaway or MFS - two songs that, to my knowledge, they've never been able to pull off live

More later. I just wanted to give MJD something

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue July 18, 2017 7:45 pm 
Major Dude

For me, this exercise is dependent upon era. Jeremy USED to be a fucking monster track live. Now, not so much.

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam