The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2473 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 124  Next
 Post subject: Re: Transgender Rights
PostPosted: Sun July 02, 2017 6:52 pm 
The Master

Bi_3 wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Also, I'm pretty sure if the child born with a penis turns out to be cis male, then the U on his birth certificate won't really be a big deal to him.

Then why have the category at all if 99.7% percent of the population (or whatever the non-trans rate is) don't consider it a big deal? This particular situation reeks of white suburban liberal social signaling vs genuine concern for the well being of mature adults who choose to transition. Kids are going to see the biological differences pretty quickly and deconstruction of the label isnt going to reverse millions of years of mammalian evolution. Better to identify and remove the administrative burdens imposed by the state on the community than to indulge yet another progressive arms race.

Okay, but we do have the category right now, so that suggestion is of no practical use.

Mark everyone "M" and move on to real issues.

Okay cool bro

PostPosted: Tue July 04, 2017 2:04 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Bi_3 wrote:
--- wrote:
behold trudeau's canada

http://globalnews.ca/news/3568563/bc-ba ... arker/amp/

Quote:
In what could be the first case in the world, a B.C. baby has been issued a health card with the letter “U” for a sex marker.

It comes as the baby’s parent fights to allow their child to develop their own gender identity.

“We’re not actually asking to have anyone’s ID changed against their will. We’re just asking to change the structure of how identification, particularly the birth certificate, starts out,” Doty said.

Doty said the goal is for the child to discover their own gender identity — and so far the decision hasn’t been a problem, even when people ask if the baby is a boy or a girl.

“Often I’ll just say I don’t know yet, or I’m not rushing to apply those types of labels on this kid. Right now they’re just a baby.”

Why isn't the name Barbara Finlay capitalized in that article but their title Human Rights lawyer is?

Not a typo:

"My name is spelled without capital letters. People make many assumptions about why that is. Here is the story. I have always signed my name without capital letters. When I was taking a Master of Laws degree in 1990, I had letterhead designed and my name was in lower case. I liked it, so I continued it when I returned to private practice in 1992. What an uproar! Lawyers called me up to say that they had a vote in their firm about why I chose that spelling; a court rejected an Order because my name was not properly spelled; and the local queer newspaper refused for years to spell my name without capital letters.

I realized that I had a perfect illustration of how we react when someone moves even a tiny bit away from a norm of behaviour, even with respect to something that has no impact on anyone else. So I have kept that spelling, and I tell this story in unlearning oppression workshops."

PostPosted: Tue July 04, 2017 5:06 pm 
Future Drummer

Many RMers were way ahead on that issue.

PostPosted: Tue July 04, 2017 5:07 pm 
The Master

bart wrote:
Many RMers were way ahead on that issue.

heh

PostPosted: Wed July 05, 2017 12:50 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Quote:
when people ask if the baby is a boy or a girl.

“Often I’ll just say I don’t know yet, or I’m not rushing to apply those types of labels on this kid. Right now they’re just a baby.”

:shake: I started this thread, and even I think this is liberalism run amock.

PostPosted: Wed July 05, 2017 2:07 pm 
post-structuralist

B wrote:
Quote:
when people ask if the baby is a boy or a girl.

:shake: I started this thread, and even I think this is liberalism run amock.

my niece is gay, and has recently decided she no longer wants to identify as gender specific. she had surgery two months ago to remove her breasts (and had been binding them for a few years prior) and now insists on being referred to as "they". In general, ive always been very liberal but there's something wrong, it seems to me, when the lengths a person goes to in order to hold to their belief in a way of life has to necessarily include this level of extremism. I understand it's how she wants to live, i understand she feels she's happier having removed her breasts, i even understand her having changed her name to a non gender identifiable one, but im bothered by it on a very emotional/visceral level, and i hate to think, welp, im just not enlightening enough to get it, so poor me. It all feels more like a way to gain more attention than a way to find peace or happiness.

I fear even expressing my opinion about it, actually because i anticipate the usual blowback i get around here, but i don't understand why it's become so important to take such extreme measures. Is there no credence anymore to finding what's good and perfect in ourselves as we exist?

It feels similar to me as women who get breast implants, in an effort to draw positive attention to themselves from men. Is it that crucial to be whatever everyone else wants? I dont know, im pretty sure this all goes beyond my comprehension anymore. I love my niece, and have always gotten along with her very well, i just worry about the intention behind taking these kind of steps.

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Wed July 05, 2017 3:57 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Sounds like you are doing the right thing Malice. Trans suicide rates are actually higher post-op than pre-op so demonstrating that they still belong in the family is a powerful statement to make at an unbelievably difficult time.

PostPosted: Wed July 05, 2017 7:14 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Yeah, I don't pretend to understand transgendered people in any way, shape, or form. When the issue involves an adult (or at least a teen), I'm fine to step back, hold my tongue, and let that person live how they need to live or do what they need to do. I guess I can even understand parents letting their small kids live the way they want to live based on their own knowledge of that kid.

I'm just lucky enough to not be in a position where any of my personal relationships are put at risk by my opinions. So, I don't have to test myself.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:45 am 
Looks Like a Cat

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/05/22/transgender-brain-scans-promised-study-shows-structural-differences/

No surprises there, genes drive 70%+ of our thoughts and actions.

PostPosted: Sun October 21, 2018 6:27 pm 
The Master

Jesus Christ. What the fuck is wrong with these people?

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... x-dna-test

PostPosted: Sun October 21, 2018 6:59 pm 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:

Everything. Everything is wrong with them.

PostPosted: Sun October 21, 2018 8:15 pm 
Future Drummer

B wrote:
Yeah, I don't pretend to understand transgendered people in any way, shape, or form. When the issue involves an adult (or at least a teen), I'm fine to step back, hold my tongue, and let that person live how they need to live or do what they need to do. I guess I can even understand parents letting their small kids live the way they want to live based on their own knowledge of that kid.

I'm just lucky enough to not be in a position where any of my personal relationships are put at risk by my opinions. So, I don't have to test myself.

I was like that until a person I worked with came out publicly. She gave a pretty emotional speech as she introduce herself to us all over again and requested we refer to he as Vanessa (and not Jordan). She told us a bit about her story and I had a couple thoughts;
- She was brave as fuck,
- She just wanted to be happy,
- We could make her life easier or harder, and everyone chose easier.

PostPosted: Sun October 21, 2018 8:30 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

It’s fascinating how passionate people are about an issue that effects like 0.5% of the population. I can’t imagine what we could accomplish if childhood poverty got that type of response.

PostPosted: Sun October 21, 2018 8:33 pm 
The Master

Bi_3 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

It’s fascinating how passionate people are about an issue that effects like 0.5% of the population. I can’t imagine what we could accomplish if childhood poverty got that type of response.

This seems like a really shitty thought. Who cares if it’s a small part of the population? When government policies are being designed to deliberately erase those persons’ identities, I’d say that’s a pretty huge deal worth caring about.

PostPosted: Sun October 21, 2018 8:45 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

This seems like a really shitty thought. Who cares if it’s a small part of the population? When government policies are being designed to deliberately erase those persons’ identities, I’d say that’s a pretty huge deal worth caring about.

Maybe they should literally just grow a pair.

PostPosted: Sun October 21, 2018 8:56 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

I don't really think that was a shitty response. He wasn't saying 'screw the transgender community'. I saw it more as a - imagine the change that could come about if people ALSO focused so passionately about these issues which affect so many more

PostPosted: Sun October 21, 2018 8:59 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Rangi Guy wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

I don't really think that was a shitty response. He wasn't saying 'screw the transgender community'. I saw it more as a - imagine the change that could come about if people ALSO focused so passionately about these issues which affect so many more

This guy gets it

PostPosted: Sun October 21, 2018 9:11 pm 
The Master

Bi_3 wrote:
Rangi Guy wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

This guy gets it

This is such a tired straw man. We can care about more than one thing.

PostPosted: Sun October 21, 2018 9:12 pm 
Rank This Poster

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Rangi Guy wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

This guy gets it

This guy gets it.

PostPosted: Sun October 21, 2018 9:13 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Rangi Guy wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

This guy gets it

A lot of people don't though, and there in lies the problem

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2473 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 124  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate