The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 655 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: TV: Fargo
PostPosted: Thu June 22, 2017 4:24 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

I did not like the finale at all.

PostPosted: Thu June 22, 2017 1:31 pm 
I thought it was the perfect long, whistling fart of an ending to cap this long, whistling fart of a season. Nothing about s3 really worked for me at all.

PostPosted: Thu June 22, 2017 5:45 pm 

I thought it was good and got better each week. Unfortunately, I feel like it all ultimately culminated in a fizzle. Too bad, really

PostPosted: Thu June 22, 2017 5:58 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

I, too, was in the "Season 3 got better as it went along" camp. My feelings on the finale are mixed: I feel like it wasn't emotionally satisfying (which would've been tough either way, because I wasn't emotionally invested in many of these characters, except maybe Ray) but I also understand some of the decisions they made. Varga was this really interesting figure (I loved that emphasis on food in his final conversation with Emmit, especially considering how he treats food), especially in the way he sort of represents how a B+ in freshman philosophy can lead to some dark shit if you just run with it. I know there have been glowing reviews of Winstead's performance, but I didn't feel much tension around her storyline after she and Wrench solved Varga's puzzle in the hotel lobby. Just an up-and-down season, which happens--I'm perfectly fine with an auteur hitting some false notes as long as they're pushing the envelope in some ways (this is why I was so backlash-to-the-backlash when it came to True Detective Season 2).

PostPosted: Thu June 22, 2017 6:51 pm 
A Return To Form
 WWW  Profile

This season had some good moments, but it seemed to overemphasize the "what is truth" and "randomness of the universe" themes than focusing on a story and the universe the characters inhabited. Case in point, the cold open in East Germany felt like a distracting plot thread hanging in the wind. It served as an interesting mirror to the final scene, as a contrast in the shift in power. I guess I prescribe to the Chekov's gun point of story telling.

PostPosted: Thu June 22, 2017 7:05 pm 
The Master

Finished episode 8 last night. That chase through the woods was really good.

PostPosted: Thu June 22, 2017 7:12 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

I know there's been some rumblings that there may not be another season, but it's pretty obvious that they left the door open for Yuri to be a returning character down the line.

PostPosted: Fri June 23, 2017 6:00 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

The guy who makes it is doing a Kurt Vonnegut Cat's Cradle TV show soon, and a bunch of movies. He said he expects to be able to work on Fargo again... in the 2020s. Waiting on a different fuckin' decade for a new TV show, what the hell.

Also I hated Legion. It's all visual style with no substance and an incoherent mess of "plot". I'm not a fan of superhero shows to begin with though.

PostPosted: Fri June 23, 2017 6:14 pm 
The Master

Jammer XCI wrote:
The guy who makes it is doing a Kurt Vonnegut Cat's Cradle TV show soon, and a bunch of movies. He said he expects to be able to work on Fargo again... in the 2020s. Waiting on a different fuckin' decade for a new TV show, what the hell.

Also I hated Legion. It's all visual style with no substance and an incoherent mess of "plot". I'm not a fan of superhero shows to begin with though.

Legion gave me a headache. I stopped watching after four episodes. Its visual style, while very pretty, was just too much.

Last edited by Monkey_Driven on Fri June 23, 2017 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri June 23, 2017 6:15 pm 
AnalLog

The Argonaut wrote:
I did not like the finale at all.

Yah we didn't either. Was pretty disappointed.

PostPosted: Sat June 24, 2017 3:50 pm 
The Master

Simple Torture wrote:
Just an up-and-down season, which happens--I'm perfectly fine with an auteur hitting some false notes as long as they're pushing the envelope in some ways (this is why I was so backlash-to-the-backlash when it came to True Detective Season 2).

What were your thoughts on TD2, ST?

PostPosted: Sat June 24, 2017 4:40 pm 
The Master

This was definitely the weakest of the three seasons but I still enjoyed it. A solid B.

PostPosted: Sat June 24, 2017 5:56 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

tragabigzanda wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Just an up-and-down season, which happens--I'm perfectly fine with an auteur hitting some false notes as long as they're pushing the envelope in some ways (this is why I was so backlash-to-the-backlash when it came to True Detective Season 2).

Bloated is the first word that comes to mind. It's been so long since I've watched it that it's hard to be more specific than that, but one thing that was lost between Seasons 1 + 2 was a real elegance of form: SE01 was just about these two guys, and even with all the jumps in time and space you understood who they were, what they were after, and what mattered to them. SE02 seemed to be going for the same thing with Farrell and McAdams, but then you also had this other cop who was supposed to be central but always felt ancillary to the main plot, and then we also were shoved into the world of one of the criminals. Just a lot going on. The pathetic appeal in the second season was also just a bit too up front: you were supposed to feel sympathy for all of these characters, because look how tough stuff is for them--SE01 was more complicated. However, I do think it was bold and tried some interesting things--it just ended up falling flat. When I say that I was backlash-to-the-backlash, I just mean that I saw so many reactions that made it sound like people took the down quality of the season as a personal affront, as if Pizzolatto had betrayed them. It was just so-so TV.

PostPosted: Sat June 24, 2017 6:10 pm 
The Master

Simple Torture wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

Bloated is the first word that comes to mind. It's been so long since I've watched it that it's hard to be more specific than that, but one thing that was lost between Seasons 1 + 2 was a real elegance of form: SE01 was just about these two guys, and even with all the jumps in time and space you understood who they were, what they were after, and what mattered to them. SE02 seemed to be going for the same thing with Farrell and McAdams, but then you also had this other cop who was supposed to be central but always felt ancillary to the main plot, and then we also were shoved into the world of one of the criminals. Just a lot going on. The pathetic appeal in the second season was also just a bit too up front: you were supposed to feel sympathy for all of these characters, because look how tough stuff is for them--SE01 was more complicated. However, I do think it was bold and tried some interesting things--it just ended up falling flat. When I say that I was backlash-to-the-backlash, I just mean that I saw so many reactions that made it sound like people took the down quality of the season as a personal affront, as if Pizzolatto had betrayed them. It was just so-so TV.

Welp, I'd agree with all of this. I was so floored by TD1 -- watching it in real-time (weekly as it aired, rather than binging) was the greatest TV experience I've ever had: It was great fun to follow the clues and red herrings on Reddit. Remember the circle drawing done by Woody's daughter that was on their fridge? Or how about Michelle Monaghan's dad and his rose garden? The whole thing felt so tightly wound and fleshed out, and then in the end it wound up just being the single greatest buddy cop story I've ever seen...

TD2 had a lot of awesome imagery, scenes, and dialogue that added up to a whole lot of nothing. "You ever bully or hurt anybody again, I'll come back and buttfuck your father with your mom's headless corpse on this goddamn lawn" was an amazing line. Everything with the mayor was stellar. E6 (the sex party) was amazing. Vince Vaughan turned in a passionate performance weighed down by laughable dialogue. While I agree that Taylor Kitsch felt ancillary, his ending was the one that hit me the hardest...

But there was just so much nonsense to it all: The crow mask was pointless, even if the initial visual was awesome. The reveal of the murderers' identities was telegraphed and dull. Valcoro's decision to head into the Redwoods in the last episode was ridiculous. McAdams' relationship with her sister was just a lot of filler...

And the worst offense of all was that shootout in E4, because it essentially reset the plot back to square one. Why spend the first four eps of an eight-episode series slowly laying all these puzzle pieces out, only to completely wipe them off the table? They could have condensed the first three eps into one great pilot ep; done the shootout ep for E2; and then built from there.

PostPosted: Sat June 24, 2017 6:13 pm 
The Master

Also, we watched the Fargo S3 finale last night. It was a solid ending to a solid season, just it was a notable step down from the first two seasons. I didn't really start to care of any of the characters until way too late in the series, and their respective endings were just not satisfying.

PostPosted: Sat June 24, 2017 7:59 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
Also, we watched the Fargo S3 finale last night. It was a solid ending to a solid season, just it was a notable step down from the first two seasons. I didn't really start to care of any of the characters until way too late in the series, and their respective endings were just not satisfying.

Same feeling here.

PostPosted: Sat June 24, 2017 11:36 pm 

The only really truly good season of this show (so far, at least) was Season 2. I like all the seasons, but Season 1 hewed maybe a little too close to the original movie and Season 3 didn't quite hold together when all was said and done. All three seasons have their charms, though.

PostPosted: Thu June 29, 2017 3:20 pm 
Future Drummer

I finished the finale last night. I thought it was a slow start but got better as the season went along. Bring back the guy from seaosn 1 was cool, but felt kinda rushed as he just appeared on the prison bus. People loved episode 3 out in LA, but I felt it didn't add much except back story to her step father which did not need to be a whole episode IMHO. But after season 2, this season was gonna never come close to how great last season was with the whole plot line.

My only real question after thinking about the finale is
Is Varga real and supposed to represent the Devil?

PostPosted: Wed December 27, 2017 1:57 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Just finished season one last, was awesome.

PostPosted: Wed December 27, 2017 2:58 pm 
The Master

Bi_3 wrote:
Just finished season one last, was awesome.

Nice? Do you plan to watch season 2 soon next? It is even better.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 655 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 33  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment