The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1571 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 79  Next
 Post subject: Re: Post Random T.V.-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Wed June 21, 2017 6:35 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Lindelof is mostly garbage, but maybe he'll have more luck on the small screen than he did on the big screen.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed June 21, 2017 6:39 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

durdencommatyler wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Breaking Bad was sort of disappointing and a bit of a cop-out. It seemed to spit in the face of it's own overarching themes and contradict the underlying danger of consequences that the show had built so well.

wat

Spoiler: show
Walter got off easy and never had to actually pay for his actions. He gets to go out a hero and save his family at the same time.
The series made no bones during the run about real consequences to illegal actions. To me, the show felt like it tried to force WW into a hero role, which I don't think was earned or appropriate. It was kind of a cop-out. Fine, he died. But he still go everything else he wanted and I think he deserved worse than a pseudo "heroes death." The show had set the viewers up for something totally different. Time and time again. Then it sort of just... chickened out.

He did one decent thing before he died, but it was as much out of vengeance than heroism. His family was utterly destroyed and Jesse was a broken shell. He didn't die a hero. He died surrounded by meth, the only thing he had left in the end.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed June 21, 2017 6:45 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I liked the ending, but let's not pretend those last 2 episodes weren't meant to serve as a redemption arc. He took down a bunch of Nazis with a crazy machine gun apparatus (PRETTY HEROIC), saved his sidekick, secured the money for his family, and made peace with his estranged wife. He died a peaceful death, surrounded by what he loved (the lab equipment).

PostPosted: Wed June 21, 2017 6:48 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

BurtReynolds wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Breaking Bad was sort of disappointing and a bit of a cop-out. It seemed to spit in the face of it's own overarching themes and contradict the underlying danger of consequences that the show had built so well.

wat

Walter got off easy and never had to actually pay for his actions. He gets to go out a hero and save his family at the same time.
The series made no bones during the run about real consequences to illegal actions. To me, the show felt like it tried to force WW into a hero role, which I don't think was earned or appropriate. It was kind of a cop-out. Fine, he died. But he still go everything else he wanted and I think he deserved worse than a pseudo "heroes death." The show had set the viewers up for something totally different. Time and time again. Then it sort of just... chickened out.

He did one decent thing before he died, but it was as much out of vengeance than heroism. His family was utterly destroyed and Jesse was a broken shell. He didn't die a hero. He died surrounded by meth, the only thing he had left in the end.

He gets to win. He beats the bad guys. He gets his revenge. His family gets the money. He saves Jessie. He wins as much as a guy in his situation possibly can. I just think that's a writer/show-runner getting in the way. And Breaking Bad did that a lot. My biggest issue with the series was the way it would bend the characters, even making them act out of character, for the sake of plot rather than listening to what's been established and allowing moments to be completely earned or grow organically. The ending was no different. And it was fine. I don't hate the ending. But did feel like a forced save as opposed to the "right" ending, to me.

PostPosted: Wed June 21, 2017 6:53 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

wat

He gets to win. He beats the bad guys. He gets his revenge. His family gets the money. He saves Jessie. He wins as much as a guy in his situation possibly can. I just think that's a writer/show-runner getting in the way. And Breaking Bad did that a lot. My biggest issue with the series was the way it would bend the characters, even making them act out of character, for the sake of plot rather than listening to what's been established and allowing moments to be completely earned or grow organically. The ending was no different. And it was fine. I don't hate the ending. But did feel like a forced save as opposed to the "right" ending, to me.

I agree. The ending becomes more and more unsatisfying to me as get further away from it.

PostPosted: Wed June 21, 2017 7:07 pm 
The Master

I was totally happy with the ending to BB. What I hated was the far-too-long arc of Jessie's nihilistic addict phase, throwing money around at his parties, that stuff just became so tedious.

The last 2-3 seasons of Lost were an abomination.

PostPosted: Wed June 21, 2017 7:07 pm 

I didn't feel like anything was out of character. My only complaint was that The machine gun bit was a little contrived, but then again the show had similar contrived bits.

After hank died, the show was all about punishing Walter. The aftermath, viewed over the last episodes, was devastating. If the last episode ends on a slightly higher note, I don't have a problem with that.

The story is essentially over once he realizes why he really did the things he did. After that, he wouldn't act the same way he did up to that point. He deserved a small redemption I think (though it was far too little too late).

PostPosted: Wed June 21, 2017 7:13 pm 

I see that there is a The Mist series now. Anyone heard about it?

PostPosted: Wed June 21, 2017 7:13 pm 
The Master

BurtReynolds wrote:

Some of the imagery looks pretty intense. I'm skeptical, but I'll give it a shot.

PostPosted: Wed June 21, 2017 7:22 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

Some of the imagery looks pretty intense. I'm skeptical, but I'll give it a shot.

Why do they do this with Stephen King books? These books have a clear ending/resolution. This will suck just like Under the Dome sucked.

PostPosted: Wed June 21, 2017 7:27 pm 
The Master

well the movie already sucked so

PostPosted: Wed June 21, 2017 7:42 pm 
Rank This Poster

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

Why do they do this with Stephen King books? These books have a clear ending/resolution. This will suck just like Under the Dome sucked.

It's crazy how bad under the dome was. It's like it was intended as a parody of crappy network TV.

PostPosted: Wed June 21, 2017 7:53 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

theplatypus wrote:
I liked the ending, but let's not pretend those last 2 episodes weren't meant to serve as a redemption arc. He took down a bunch of Nazis with a crazy machine gun apparatus (PRETTY HEROIC), saved his sidekick, secured the money for his family, and made peace with his estranged wife. He died a peaceful death, surrounded by what he loved (the lab equipment).

About BrBa ending
I don't think they did the redemptive arc correctly, and that is my major problem with the ending. Walt goes to the Nazis hoping to kill Jesse, bc he's mad at Jesse bc he thinks Jesse is cooking Walt's secret recipe. A season ago, that motivation would've been fine. But post-Hank and post-New Hampshire, that rang false. He should've known Jesse never would've willingly worked with the Nazis (that was clear at that point) and Walt should've gone there to save Jesse, an open acknowledgment that this would be his redemption. Instead, Walt goes in the name of revenge and stumbles into redemption in a split second decision (jumps on Jesse). His redemption would be more powerful and meaningful if he did it on purpose.

It just wasn't right

PostPosted: Thu June 22, 2017 4:13 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

durdencommatyler wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
So, apparently HBO wants Damon Lindelof to show-run their new Watchmen series. People are gonna shit if that happens.

If it is half as good as the Leftovers I am on board. The butthurt over the LOST ending is one of the most tired things on the internet.

Totally agree. I'm a big Lindelof fan. I think this is outstanding news. I hope he commits. I'd love to see Watchmen as an HBO series.

If they leave the pirate thing off, I'm in. I didn't get the "deeper" story from it at all when I read the book.

PostPosted: Thu June 22, 2017 4:24 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

I was going to say a version of this
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
well the movie already sucked so

But that the book already sucked. Probably the only SK book I actively dislike. I don't hate it, I just hate the introduction of aliens and then suddenly that's why everything's happening. I don't know why, it just felt like too much of a Tommyknockers pseudo-sequel or something, just derivative of his own work.

PostPosted: Fri June 23, 2017 12:29 am 

Heisenberg died in New Hampshire. All that was left was Walter White. And Walter White cares about Jesse. He isn't jealous or vengeful. They flubbed that key element. Which is tragic because through the penultimate episode, they nailed it.

PostPosted: Mon July 17, 2017 2:23 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I didn't have this thought, but it seems accurate

PostPosted: Wed August 02, 2017 5:27 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

The Middle is calling it a wrap after this coming season. While it had zero buzz and even less of a hip factor it's been an underappreciated, solid family sitcom throughout its run.

PostPosted: Fri August 04, 2017 8:08 pm 

Quote:
Original “Karate Kid” Gets A Sequel Series

Original “The Karate Kid” stars Ralph Macchio and William Zabka are reuniting on “Cobra Kai,” a sequel series to the classic films being developed for YouTube Red.

The ten-episode, half-hour series is set thirty years after the events of the 1984 film. A down-and-out Johnny Lawrence (Zabka) seeks redemption by reopening the Cobra Kai karate dojo.

This reignites his rivalry with the successful Daniel LaRusso (Macchio), who has been struggling to maintain a life balance without the guidance of his late mentor Mr. Miyagi.

“Hot Tub Time Machine” scribe Josh Heald and “Harold & Kumar” creators Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg will pen and executive produce the series which is being made by Sony Pictures Television Studios and Overbrook Entertainment.

Hurwitz and Schlossberg will direct much of the series while James Lassiter and Caleeb Pinkett will also executive produce.

Source: The Live Feed

I'd watch that shit.

PostPosted: Fri August 04, 2017 8:09 pm 
The Master

bada wrote:
Quote:
Original “Karate Kid” Gets A Sequel Series

Original “The Karate Kid” stars Ralph Macchio and William Zabka are reuniting on “Cobra Kai,” a sequel series to the classic films being developed for YouTube Red.

The ten-episode, half-hour series is set thirty years after the events of the 1984 film. A down-and-out Johnny Lawrence (Zabka) seeks redemption by reopening the Cobra Kai karate dojo.

This reignites his rivalry with the successful Daniel LaRusso (Macchio), who has been struggling to maintain a life balance without the guidance of his late mentor Mr. Miyagi.

“Hot Tub Time Machine” scribe Josh Heald and “Harold & Kumar” creators Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg will pen and executive produce the series which is being made by Sony Pictures Television Studios and Overbrook Entertainment.

Hurwitz and Schlossberg will direct much of the series while James Lassiter and Caleeb Pinkett will also executive produce.

Source: The Live Feed

I'd watch that shit.

:heartbeat:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1571 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 79  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment