The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 579 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: political ideology/philosophy Thread
PostPosted: Mon June 12, 2017 6:06 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Green Habit wrote:
malice wrote:
Darrin, i think
Darrin always used consistently proper capitalization and punctuation.

PostPosted: Mon June 12, 2017 8:42 pm 
post-structuralist

BurtReynolds wrote:
malice wrote:
Neo-Accelerationist

I don't know what that means but it sure sounds good

Quote:
In political and social theory, accelerationism is the idea that either the prevailing system of capitalism, or certain technosocial processes that have historically characterised it, should be expanded, repurposed, or accelerated in order to generate radical social change. Some contemporary accelerationist philosophy takes as its starting point the Deleuzo-Guattarian theory of deterritorialisation, aiming to identify, deepen, and radicalise the forces of deterritorialisation with a view to overcoming the countervailing tendencies that suppress the possibility of far-reaching social transformation.[1][clarification needed] Accelerationism may also refer more broadly, and usually pejoratively, to support for the deepening of capitalism in the belief that this will hasten its self-destructive tendencies and ultimately lead to its collapse.[2][3]

Accelerationist theory has been divided into mutually contradictory left-wing and right-wing variants. "Left-accelerationism" attempts to press "the process of technological evolution" beyond the constrictive horizon of capitalism, for example by repurposing modern technology for socially beneficial and emancipatory ends; "right-accelerationism" supports the indefinite intensification of capitalism itself, possibly in order to bring about a technological singularity.

Sounds interesting. Kind of a transhumanist idea.

pls explain transhumanist . im vaguely familiar with humanism, but not the trans . and since im on the subject, I'll have to go through the above descriptions once im home. Too much bus shaking to read now

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Mon June 12, 2017 8:51 pm 
post-structuralist

Green Habit wrote:
malice wrote:
Darrin, i think
Darrin always used consistently proper capitalization and punctuation.

I was going by the batshit crazy diatribe only, but youre right. Darrin, while insane, was quite good with punctuation.

people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Mon June 12, 2017 8:56 pm 
The Master

I think I would describe myself as a retronaturalist

PostPosted: Mon June 12, 2017 9:06 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I'm only dimly aware of the terms myself, and I'm on my phone right now so I can't type, but I tend to go back and forth between transhumanism and primitivism, if those can be thought of as opposite poles on a spectrum.

I kinda think of a technology singularity as game over, though, so I'm not sure I want that.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon June 12, 2017 9:14 pm 
post-structuralist

BurtReynolds wrote:
I'm only dimly aware of the terms myself, and I'm on my phone right now so I can't type, but I tend to go back and forth between transhumanism and primitivism, if those can be thought of as opposite poles on a spectrum.

I kinda think of a technology singularity as game over, though, so I'm not sure I want that.

So akin to Timothy Leary talking about how technology will advance at an exponential rate until we'll need drugs to expand our consciousness enough to benefit and understand it properly

PostPosted: Sun June 25, 2017 10:05 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

vs.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sun July 16, 2017 7:09 am 

PostPosted: Thu July 20, 2017 12:39 am 
Broken Tamborine

This is one of the best things I've read in a while.
https://cdn.cato.org/libertarianismdotorg/books/ThreeLanguagesOfPolitics.pdf

Basically, the author articulates three political axes: oppressor v. oppressed, civilization v. barbarism, and coercion v. liberty. For the most part, people tend to view the world through only one of these axes.

Quote:
For a progressive, the highest virtue is to be on the side of the oppressed, and the worst sin is to be aligned with the oppressor. For a conservative, the highest virtue is to be on the side of civilizing institutions, and the worst sin is to be aligned with those who would tear down those institutions and thereby promote barbarism. For a libertarian, the highest virtue is to be on the side of individual choice, and the worst sin is to be aligned with expanding the scope of government.

PostPosted: Fri July 28, 2017 7:46 am 

PostPosted: Fri July 28, 2017 1:13 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Get out of here, flat earther

PostPosted: Fri July 28, 2017 5:00 pm 

Flat Earth Society

PostPosted: Sat July 29, 2017 12:09 am 

get this fascist off the stage!

PostPosted: Sat August 05, 2017 5:25 am 

PostPosted: Sat August 05, 2017 5:38 pm 
Poster of the Year

oh great another meme thread

PostPosted: Sat August 05, 2017 5:46 pm 

cutuphalfdead wrote:
oh great another meme thread

You're right. I may have gone too far with that last one.

PostPosted: Sat August 05, 2017 6:56 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

PostPosted: Sun August 06, 2017 6:33 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

cutuphalfdead wrote:
oh great another *spook* thread

Egoist correction

PostPosted: Sun September 03, 2017 6:26 pm 
AnalLog

So in light of your ideological bent, where do you stand on federal assistance for Texas in the wake of Harvey? There's an attitude in this country that rears its head sometimes saying the people who do something stupid, who then require emergency services/rescue, ought to foot the bill for it. Because why should hard-working taxpayers subsidize the stupidity and carelessness of others, right?

Yet Houston was essentially built on a giant flood plain, and only 15% of homeowners in the hardest-hit areas had flood insurance. Why should hard-working taxpayers subsidize the stupidity and carelessness of Houston's city planners and residents? After all, they chose to live there knowing the danger, right?

PostPosted: Sun September 03, 2017 7:11 pm 

meatwad wrote:
So in light of your ideological bent, where do you stand on federal assistance for Texas in the wake of Harvey? There's an attitude in this country that rears its head sometimes saying the people who do something stupid, who then require emergency services/rescue, ought to foot the bill for it. Because why should hard-working taxpayers subsidize the stupidity and carelessness of others, right?

Yet Houston was essentially built on a giant flood plain, and only 15% of homeowners in the hardest-hit areas had flood insurance. Why should hard-working taxpayers subsidize the stupidity and carelessness of Houston's city planners and residents? After all, they chose to live there knowing the danger, right?

Well Houstonians are taxpayers, too. Why shouldn't they be able to get something for the money they were forced to give up? I assume that's part of the contract, though in my experience with Katrina, you don't get back nearly what you pay in (or in my case, anything at all).

I think most places in the country have their share of danger associated with them, whether its floods, fires, earthquakes, blizzards etc. But many of those places are strategically important, so it's impractical to say that people living in a high risk area are on their own (to a certain extent). I can see the usefulness of using taxpayer dollars to prop up a city like New Orleans (to a certain degree. At a certain point you're throwing good money after bad), Port cities are too important, etc. Everyone can't live in Nebraska where its safe.

But Houston? Houston is a blighted place where no right-thinking people should live. Abandon it to the swamps and never speak of it again.

-------

Then again, if the goal is to help people, it would probably be a lot more efficient to reallocate funds used for helping people rebuild beachfront property in flood plains to other programs.

edit: There's also the hidden long-term cost of promoting people moving to higher risk areas that will cost taxpayers a tremendous amount over time. This has been the trend for decades, and it adds billions to the cost of these disasters.

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Sun September 03, 2017 7:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 579 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 29  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate