The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 120  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ask LoathedVermin
PostPosted: Sat June 03, 2017 1:44 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Have you seen Paddington? Do you have an opinion about it if you have?

I have not. You are not the first person to steer towards that movie, but man, it looks so unappealing. I have trouble mustering interest in modern kids' movies.

To be clear, I haven't seen it either. I'm just asking based on a recent podcast I listened to.

PostPosted: Sat June 03, 2017 1:46 am 
The Master

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
should i watch the nice guys tonight or rm instead?

Definitely RM

PostPosted: Sat June 03, 2017 1:54 am 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:

Definitely RM

i'm not really feeling committing to watching a movie tonight...i have it and warrior that i need to watch before due back at the medium sized library

PostPosted: Sat June 03, 2017 1:58 am 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:

Definitely RM

i'm not really feeling committing to watching a movie tonight...i have it and warrior that i need to watch before due back at the medium sized library

Man I haven't been able to commit to any movies I haven't seen lately. So I just keep going to the theater since then I have no choice.

PostPosted: Sat June 03, 2017 2:05 am 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

Definitely RM

Man I haven't been able to commit to any movies I haven't seen lately. So I just keep going to the theater since then I have no choice.

i may go see logan at the cheap theater tomorrow for the exact same reason

PostPosted: Sat June 03, 2017 2:38 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I haven't seen B v S or Wonder Woman yet, so perhaps I'm out of line, but you keep referencing Snyder's "visionary" take on Superheroes as gods. But this is what has always been presented in the comics.

So, when you reference Snyder's "brilliance" do you meen his translation of superheroes in film? Are you comparing this to Nolan and his more "real world" take on the Batman character?

I guess I don't see what's so revolutionary or brilliant about an age old interpretation.

PostPosted: Sat June 03, 2017 2:43 am 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
I haven't seen B v S or Wonder Woman yet, so perhaps I'm out of line, but you keep referencing Snyder's "visionary" take on Superheroes as gods. But this is what has always been presented in the comics.

So, when you reference Snyder's "brilliance" do you meen his translation of superheroes in film? Are you comparing this to Nolan and his more "real world" take on the Batman character?

I guess I don't see what's so revolutionary or brilliant about am age old interpretation.

I can't speak to what is explored in the comics, but contemporary mythology has been what Snyder has been dealing in his whole career; it's not just BVS. And speaking in terms of film, no one has approached superheroes in the way he has. Even if comics had presented them as gods before, that's not all it is (as evidenced by Wonder Woman's unsatisfying take on this). It's his singular aesthetic and contemporary themes that elevate them to something visionary and relevant. His idiosyncratic expression and ideology are crucial.

PostPosted: Sat June 03, 2017 2:46 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I just don't understand that take. Seems biased and reactionary to me.

PostPosted: Sat June 03, 2017 2:47 am 
The Master

In what way?

PostPosted: Sat June 03, 2017 2:52 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

In every way.

I guess I don't understand your primary take on his work as new or revolutionary. It feels shopworn to me. And as a result of your enthusiasm in the face of that, I have to feel it's your own bias (which isn't a bad thing). You admit to not being able to speak to what other representations audiences have but care only about Snyder's take. That feels like the definition of bias to me. Maybe I just don't get where you're coming from. My apologies if that's the case. Just trying to understand your take.

PostPosted: Sat June 03, 2017 2:58 am 
The Master

you're being awfully rude, joey

PostPosted: Sat June 03, 2017 3:01 am 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
In every way.

I guess I don't understand your primary take on his work as new or revolutionary. It feels shopworn to me. And as a result of your enthusiasm in the face of that, I have to feel it's your own bias (which isn't a bad thing). You admit to not being able to speak to what other representations give audiences but care only about Snyder's take. That feels like the definition of bias to me. Maybe I just don't get where you're coming from. My apologies if that's the case. Just trying to understand your take.

There is nothing shopworn about BVS. It is a singular vision, and what makes it so is very specific and personal to Snyder. I don't have "enthusiasm in the face of" it being "shopworn," because I don't think it is. Seems like that judgment would be based in your bias, not mine?

Having seen all Snyder's other work, his take on superheroes is utterly congruent with what he has always done. It is pure Snyder. Having seen thousands of films, what he does in BVS is new and thrilling to me. Why would not being into comic books invalidate the cinematic thrill I find there? Just because a comic book may deal in a similar narrative, that has nothing to do with the way a cinematic artist will adapt that vision to the screen. What Snyder creates is uniquely, defiantly cinematic, and designed to explore themes that are specifically rooted in what is happening RIGHT NOW in the world. He makes it current and vital.

I have always - ALWAYS - been clear in my belief that the director is paramount in a film. Again, it's not just that he sees superheroes as contemporary gods, it's what he does with that concept cinematically and ideologically. THAT'S what makes it visionary. You give the same concept to someone like Joss Whedon or Matt Reeves and that visionary spark will be gone.

PostPosted: Sat June 03, 2017 3:03 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

you're being awfully rude, joey

Well, that's certainty not my intention. And I think LV knows that. I'm only looking for greater understanding and conversation.

PostPosted: Sat June 03, 2017 3:09 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
In every way.

I guess I don't understand your primary take on his work as new or revolutionary. It feels shopworn to me. And as a result of your enthusiasm in the face of that, I have to feel it's your own bias (which isn't a bad thing). You admit to not being able to speak to what other representations give audiences but care only about Snyder's take. That feels like the definition of bias to me. Maybe I just don't get where you're coming from. My apologies if that's the case. Just trying to understand your take.

There is nothing shopworn about BVS. It is a singular vision, and what makes it so is very specific and personal to Snyder. I don't have "enthusiasm in the face of" it being "shopworn," because I don't think it is. Seems like that judgment would be based in your bias, not mine?

Having seen all Snyder's other work, his take on superheroes is utterly congruent with what he has always done. It is pure Snyder. Having seen thousands of films, what he does in BVS is new and thrilling to me. Why would not being into comic books invalidate the cinematic thrill I find there? Just because a comic book may deal in a similar narrative, that has nothing to do with the way a cinematic artist will adapt that vision to the screen. What Snyder creates is uniquely, defiantly cinematic, and designed to explore themes that are specifically rooted in what is happening RIGHT NOW in the world. He makes it current and vital.

I have always - ALWAYS - been clear in my belief that the director is paramount in a film. Again, it's not just that he sees superheroes as contemporary gods, it's what he does with that concept cinematically and ideologically. THAT'S what makes it visionary. You give the same concept to someone like Joss Whedon or Matt Reeves and that visionary spark will be gone.

Gotcha.

I think that makes more sense. Again, having never seen the movie, it's hard to have a real conversation about the content/context. But I think I see where you're coming from. I'll keep that in mind if I ever seer either BvS or Wonder Woman and then we can have a more authentic conversation about it.

Thanks for the response., man. I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Sat June 03, 2017 3:14 am 
The Master

wow

PostPosted: Sat June 03, 2017 3:15 am 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
In every way.

Gotcha.

I think that makes more sense. Again, having never seen the movie, it's hard to have a real conversation about the content/context. But I think I see where you're coming from. I'll keep that in mind if I ever seer either BvS or Wonder Woman and then we can have a more authentic conversation about it.

Thanks for the response., man. I appreciate it.

love you bro

PostPosted: Sat June 03, 2017 3:20 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I'm so glad you're here LV.

PostPosted: Sat June 03, 2017 3:56 am 
Major Dude

durdencommatyler wrote:
I'm so glad you're here LV.

Me too, even tho I couldn't disagree more with you re: the portrayal of superheroes in Snyder films.

PostPosted: Mon June 12, 2017 3:08 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

What's the main thing, the main role of, the most important thing a critic and criticism can do/does?

PostPosted: Mon June 12, 2017 3:12 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
What's the main thing, the main role of, the most important thing a critic and criticism can do/does?

Create understanding.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 120  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment