The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139 ... 215  Next
 Post subject: Re: Total Fucking Godhead / The Soundgarden Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:20 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

dimejinky99 wrote:
I just can't get my head around the suicide aspect either. Just doesn't make sense. I think it's just press rushing to iudgmenet

I'm still in this mindspace too.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:26 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

EJ wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
I just can't get my head around the suicide aspect either. Just doesn't make sense. I think it's just press rushing to iudgmenet

How is it the press rushing to judgement if the coroner ruled it a suicide?

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:30 pm 
Gone

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
EJ wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

It was a preliminary finding. If they get tox back and find he had been eating Ativan like Skittles that could change things up a little.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:34 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
EJ wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

I shouldn't have replied to Dime's post actually. I don't entirely agree with Dime in that sense. Just agree with him that my mind can't process this suicide. The potential side effects of Ativan (mixed with whatever potentially) seems more plausible as the trigger. But, that's just still just wild speculation at this point. I'm just frustrated and sad like everyone else.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:34 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

verb_to_trust wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
EJ wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

It was a preliminary finding. If they get tox back and find he had been eating Ativan like Skittles that could change things up a little.

Ok, but saying it is a suicide wouldn't change, right? If he died by hanging or some other self-induced asphyxiation, whether pills caused him to do it or not, it is still suicide. Unless someone is saying he OD'd? Clearly the coroner found some kind of physical evidence to suggest suicide.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:36 pm 
AnalLog

likeatab wrote:
some great thoughts here. i haven't spent much time here in recent years but i knew i could come around for some group therapy. this fucking sucks and it's going to be some time before any of us get over it i expect.

Nice to see your username dude. Sorry it's under such shitty circumstances.

verb_to_trust wrote:
Why was a recovering drug addict being prescribed a controlled substance to 'help him sleep'?

Does this question really need to be asked? The entire country has pills shoved down their throats as the solution to everything. It's OK to be addicted to drugs as long as your doctor prescribes it. ;)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to- ... ion-drugs/

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:40 pm 
AnalLog

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
EJ wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

Ok, but saying it is a suicide wouldn't change, right? If he died by hanging or some other self-induced asphyxiation, whether pills caused him to do it or not, it is still suicide. Unless someone is saying he OD'd? Clearly the coroner found some kind of physical evidence to suggest suicide.

I don't think anyone's arguing that he took his own life. The question is, were there factors beyond his control (like an OD) that put him in that position. Not sure how that's "wild speculation" given the circumstances, it's a legitimate concern and possibility.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2047018/

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:44 pm 
Gone

If he was under the influence or having a negative reaction to the drug or drugs that could make things a little easier to swallow here. If he did this sober that's pretty fucking dark.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:44 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

It would be deemed an accidental death or death by misadventure if there was pharmaceuticals found in his system though right?

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:50 pm 
Gone

dimejinky99 wrote:
It would be deemed an accidental death or death by misadventure if there was pharmaceuticals found in his system though right?

Not necessarily. He still hung himself. If what the lab results say is he took too much Ativan and possibly had a negative reaction that could explain his actions. That would give the family more comfort than what has been reported I would think.

Last edited by verb_to_trust on Fri May 19, 2017 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:51 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Don't recommend listening to ed singing the end today.

Weirdly close to this whole situation lyrically.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:09 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PHATJ wrote:
bune wrote:
Most of what I've been thinking, especially with the suddenness of this, is that maybe it's like with Robin Williams.

Meaning what? Didn't Robin Williams have a debilitating disease that was becoming hard to function with normally?

Exactly that, yes.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:16 pm 
Rank This Poster

meatwad wrote:
likeatab wrote:
some great thoughts here. i haven't spent much time here in recent years but i knew i could come around for some group therapy. this fucking sucks and it's going to be some time before any of us get over it i expect.

verb_to_trust wrote:
Why was a recovering drug addict being prescribed a controlled substance to 'help him sleep'?

Does this question really need to be asked? The entire country has pills shoved down their throats as the solution to everything. It's OK to be addicted to drugs as long as your doctor prescribes it. ;)

My whole family is on anti depressants and anti anxiety meds. They don't really seem to do them any good. Certainly there are some people they really need these drugs, but everyone?

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:22 pm 
AnalLog

bune wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
bune wrote:
Most of what I've been thinking, especially with the suddenness of this, is that maybe it's like with Robin Williams.

Meaning what? Didn't Robin Williams have a debilitating disease that was becoming hard to function with normally?

Exactly that, yes.

Even so, hanging himself in his hotel room in the middle of a tour after a show seems out of character from those who knew him best.

Look I don't know Chris Cornell, but the person who I think he was based on "knowing" him through his music and message, interviews he's given, etc. just don't add up to this sort of sudden and shocking demise. I don't think there's any evidence of him having some sort of debilitating illness...he was an active 52-year-old by all accounts, played nonstop with his bands and continually created.

Even if there was some sort of illness, he seemed like the kind of guy who would have faced it with his family by his side. At least that's who I continue to believe he was. Kurt Cobain? Wasn't that surprising. The guy was a 27-year-old, anxiety-ridden junkie. Scott Weiland? Another junkie trainwreck. Same with Layne. That wasn't Chris Cornell, and his having lived through all the friends he lost, to come through on the other side with a wife and young kids that by all accounts he loved and adored, his band, the adulation and adoration of pretty much everyone...it all just makes this seem so implausible.

I've been thinking about the whole Phil Hartman situation again. This reminds me of that.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:23 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

psychobain wrote:

ex-Foo Fighters

ex-Wool, more like. He was barely in the Foo.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:24 pm 
AnalLog

tommymtcom wrote:
meatwad wrote:
likeatab wrote:

verb_to_trust wrote:

My whole family is on anti depressants and anti anxiety meds. They don't really seem to do them any good. Certainly there are some people they really need these drugs, but everyone?

I've been troubled by prescription rates for years, because I don't think everyone needs this shit. It's called life. You're supposed to feel it, the good and the bad. Clinically depressed? Sure, I get that, but the surge in "anxiety" that everyone is popping pills for seems kinda strange.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:38 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Moshimistic wrote:
A friend posted this quote today on Facebook:

"The so-called ‘psychotically depressed’ person who tries to kill herself doesn’t do so out of quote ‘hopelessness’ or any abstract conviction that life’s assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing.

The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant.

The variable here is the other terror, the fire’s flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It’s not desiring the fall; it’s terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling ‘Don’t!’ and ‘Hang on!’, can understand the jump. Not really. You’d have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling."
~ David Foster Wallace

So true. My wife has flirted with the idea of suicide - to the point of planning how I and my son would be taken care of after - because of the amount of constant pain she is in. When you're faced with that much pain for days or weeks of time, you look at suicide and say, "hey, that will only hurt for a moment."
meatwad wrote:
bune wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
bune wrote:

Exactly that, yes.

Even so, hanging himself in his hotel room in the middle of a tour after a show seems out of character from those who knew him best.

Look I don't know Chris Cornell, but the person who I think he was based on "knowing" him through his music and message, interviews he's given, etc. just don't add up to this sort of sudden and shocking demise. I don't think there's any evidence of him having some sort of debilitating illness...he was an active 52-year-old by all accounts, played nonstop with his bands and continually created.

Even if there was some sort of illness, he seemed like the kind of guy who would have faced it with his family by his side. At least that's who I continue to believe he was. Kurt Cobain? Wasn't that surprising. The guy was a 27-year-old, anxiety-ridden junkie. Scott Weiland? Another junkie trainwreck. Same with Layne. That wasn't Chris Cornell, and his having lived through all the friends he lost, to come through on the other side with a wife and young kids that by all accounts he loved and adored, his band, the adulation and adoration of pretty much everyone...it all just makes this seem so implausible.

I've been thinking about the whole Phil Hartman situation again. This reminds me of that.

Phil Hartman was killed by his wife who was coked out of her mind.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:44 pm 
The Master

bune wrote:
Moshimistic wrote:
A friend posted this quote today on Facebook:

"The so-called ‘psychotically depressed’ person who tries to kill herself doesn’t do so out of quote ‘hopelessness’ or any abstract conviction that life’s assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing.

The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant.

The variable here is the other terror, the fire’s flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It’s not desiring the fall; it’s terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling ‘Don’t!’ and ‘Hang on!’, can understand the jump. Not really. You’d have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling."
~ David Foster Wallace

So true. My wife has flirted with the idea of suicide - to the point of planning how I and my son would be taken care of after - because of the amount of constant pain she is in. When you're faced with that much pain for days or weeks of time, you look at suicide and say, "hey, that will only hurt for a moment."
meatwad wrote:
bune wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
bune wrote:

Exactly that, yes.

Phil Hartman was killed by his wife who was coked out of her mind.

There was a recent interview on Maron's podcast with a former SNL member (I think it was David Spade?). Whoever it was, they said they believed it was a combination of cocaine and prescription meds before bed that caused her to wake up in a fit of insanity.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:07 pm 
AnalLog

I was finally able to write something this morning. Thought I'd share it with you guys.

I can remember early in high school listening to an album called Ultramega OK that Scott was cool enough to be in the know about. Soundgarden was immediately the coolest, darkest, heaviest band I'd ever heard. This amalgamation of Sabbath riffs with the soaring vocals of Zeppelin. And a good dose of punk-rock "fuck you" and tongue-in-cheekiness that immediately struck me as music being made by intelligent people. Ever since, that's something I've always searched for and valued in the music I love. Anyone who knows me knows I'm all about a sick riff, but if there's nothing to say behind it, I'll likely get bored pretty quick.
Anyone who knows me well probably thinks of Pearl Jam instantly, but those who know me best know that for me, Soundgarden was always the band I loved most. I can close my eyes and instantly travel to 1997, standing in the kitchen of Chris's Place working graveyard, and hearing the DJ come on the radio and announce that they had broken up. I was in disbelief. The only silver lining was that Matt Cameron immediately joined Pearl Jam. By default Pearl Jam was the only of my favorite bands still active, and that's when I started going to all the shows, collecting tapes and CDs.
It was one of those things I guess I always held out a little hope for, but with each passing year I accepted that no Soundgarden in the world was just going to be the way it was. Then, in 2010, Chris Cornell alerted us that the Knights of the Soundtable would be riding again. And ride we did. They graced us with another fantastic album, and I was finally able to remedy the fact that the only time I'd seen them live was in 1992, opening for Guns 'n' Roses, my second concert ever. The sound was awful. I was so disappointed.
If you've been in my home or my restaurant, you've seen the posters. I spent the last several years seeing my favorite band from the lawn (and the medical tent) at the Gorge with Justin to right up close at the Fonda in LA with Russell, where he lucked out and scored one of the signed posters. At the Wiltern with Philip, David and Nicholas, Again with Russell, seeing Chris play acoustic at the Hult Center in Eugene, a shining gem amongst the thousands of shows I've been to. Temple of the Dog with Russell and Donelle, which defies words as to its importance in my musical life.
So many of my friendships and the best times of my life had a soundtrack provided by Soundgarden. The sudden death of Chris Cornell has been a very hard one to swallow. It's not just the end of Soundgarden and all the music that was to come, it's thinking of his family, bandmates, and friends who lost a father, husband and friend. It's a generation who lost our greatest therapist, the guy who channeled his depression into music that made us all understand this experience of life a little better, and know that we weren't alone in our darkest times. A world that has lost one of the greatest vocalists and songwriters it's ever known. And for me, I've lost a guy I never met, but somehow feel like I've lost a brother.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:41 pm 
tl;dr

Over a major intersection in Peoria today:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139 ... 215  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands