The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: "Again, Dada, Again!": The Kids' A&E Thread
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:59 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

I've been meaning to start this thread for a while now as my daughter--about 20 months now--has started to develop taste when it comes to things like movies, TV shows, music, and books. This thread is for discussions of A&E subjects that you are only exposed to (or overexposed to) because they're something your kids are interested in--so we can keep discussions about entertainment ostensibly aimed at children but also frequently enjoyed by adults (like Star Wars cartoons, Lego, etc.) in their own threads.

Some questions to get us all started: what are your kids into now, and how old are they? What's something that they're into that doesn't drive you absolutely bonkers--something that you can watch or listen to over and over without wanting to burn away your own eyes or ears? What are some interesting observations you've made about the A&E that they're into? Ever get into a heated debate with your spouse about something the kid likes? Any tips on limiting screen time or getting your kids into new stuff? Perhaps the most important: any recommendations for other RMers about what their kids might enjoy and what might not drive us to insanity?

Post subject: Re: "Again, Dada, Again!": The Kids' A&E Thread
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:59 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

As I said in the header post, my daughter is almost 20 months old. At this point, she understands the purpose of and differences between movies, TV shows, music, and books, and has her favorites when it comes to all of them. Currently:

TV Show: "Elmo" (not a stand-in for "Sesame Street"; when a segment not featuring Elmo comes on, she asks us to fast forward)

Movie: "Elsa" / "Fwo-ee" (obviously, it's Frozen, which she watched many times with her cousins who are older)

Music: A mixture of the first two (anything Elmo sings on Spotify and the Frozen soundtrack), plus "Baby Genius" nursery rhymes

Books: The one she asks for most is "Monkey!" (a book version of "Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed"), plus "Llama Llama Red Pajama" and those books with big-ass pictures she is starting to be able to identify

Just some scattered thoughts:

--At this point, I have probably watched Frozen more than I have watched just about any other movie in my life (Star Wars included)--we averaged about 4-5 times per week, during the winter months, but thank god that's dipping now that it's nicer out (somebody else can start the "Outdoor Activities for Kids" thread). While my wife and I agree that the messaging of the narrative is good and all (and it does have some good jokes and stuff), there are a few things that bother us. Did you notice that Elsa never apologizes for plunging the kingdom into an eternal winter? Even in the scene where Anna comes up to her ice palace, Anna starts to apologize and Elsa says, "No, no, you don't have to apologize..." And this would have been the perfect spot for Elsa to say that she's sorry, but she doesn't; to be fair, she hasn't fully "grown" yet, but even at the end of the film, everyone just starts smiling but she doesn't tell her sister she's sorry. Just strange.

--My daughter asking me to start a book over from the beginning right after we've started reading it is the best feeling in the world; her asking me to start a movie over or to watch something more than once in a day is the worst (and something I try not to do).

--My wife and I sort of came to the decision not to severely limit our daughter's "screen time" as long as it's a social thing. So if we're watching nursery rhymes on YouTube and having a dance party, that's fine; if we're watching Frozen (again) and talking about what's happening in the story / asking her questions and stuff / singing along to the songs together, that's fine with us; but what we're trying to avoid is just plopping her in front of the TV or handing her an iPad in order to shut her up. It still happens occasionally, but we're getting better at it as time goes on. The toughest part is that we know it happens when we're not around: my mother-in-law watches all four of her granddaughters (the oldest will be 4 in July), and I completely get why she might queue up a video on her phone for one of the younger girls if the bigger one is having a crisis; but she's working on it as well.

--My daughter is very close to being able to talk to our Google Home assistant; you've got to say something like, "Hey, Google, play songs from the Frozen soundtrack." She knows to run over to where it is on the counter and yell, "Google! Fwo-ee!" She's close.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:05 am 
The Master

My neighbor's adopted kids always want to watch that one episode of Diff'rent Strokes where Arnold gets molested by his neighbor. Or at least I'm pretty sure that's the one they always want to watch.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:13 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

tolerable (little) kids music:

....the Wiggles and Raffi

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:07 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Our two year old used to be really into Sesame Street but has since grown bored with it. Our babysitter has a 9 year old son who likes to watch Teen Titans Go when he gets home from school so my son likes that even though I won't let him watch it at home as it's incredibly irritating and there's some violence. He'll watch Paw Patrol and Bubble Guppies which are more tolerable and his favorite thing right now is Wild Kratts. He has some Paw Patrol books that I've had to read over and over and he likes the Little Blue Truck books too. Somehow we ended up with a copy of Oh the Places You'll Go and he always wants me to read it because he likes the cover but it's not a favorite of mine so I try to hide it from him.

He doesn't have the attention span for entire movies yet, he'll usually wander off halfway through one and go do something else, unless it's Wreck it Ralph. He loves that one. I got him to watch Robin Hood with me a week ago as it is one of my favorites and he enjoyed it. Now when we're in the car all he wants to hear is "Oo-de-Lally" on repeat.

We don't like giving him our phone, but sometimes we do to save our own sanity and he'll watch youtube videos with a song about shapes, five little monkeys, and of course the greatest evil on earth, Daddy Finger.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:02 pm 
The Master

did somebody say kids?

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:05 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Movies I've watched more than 5 times with my nephew in the past 7 months:

Minions
Trolls
Moana
Secret Life of Pets
Gnomeo and Juliet
Smurfs 2
Despicable Me 1 & 2
Angry Birds

Shows I watch with him

PJ Masks
Pac Man (this one is on Netflix and is actually hilarious)
Elena of Avalor
Some Mickey Mouse kart racing cartoon

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:06 pm 
Simple Torture wrote:
--My daughter is very close to being able to talk to our Google Home assistant; you've got to say something like, "Hey, Google, play songs from the Frozen soundtrack." She knows to run over to where it is on the counter and yell, "Google! Fwo-ee!" She's close.

:haha: Last week we got a Google Home free with my new phone. I was setting it up yesterday, trying to get it to Chromecast Moana to our TV, saying "OK Google, play Moana," etc. Daughter is watching me intently the whole time. I left the room for a second to find the instructions and when I came back she's got her face a couple inches from it, going, "OK Goo Goo...Play Barney."

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:09 pm 
RM Elitist

My son made me watch "How to Train Your Dragon" daily for a year.

I was fine with it.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:26 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

My son was also all about that Dragon lifestyle until sometime in the last year. Netflix got those cartoons and he's all, "Ugh, dad." I say something about the third movie and it's about the same.

Oh yeah, he's turning 12 next month. That's probably it. Sigh.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:05 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

I watched Frozen with my little nieces. The animation was gorgeous but I didn't think the story made much sense. The girls certainly didn't seem to mind though.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:07 pm 
The Master

My sister keeps telling me to watch Moana. Is there any good reason why a 36-year old man might be inclined to take her advice to heart?

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:16 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

tragabigzanda wrote:
My sister keeps telling me to watch Moana. Is there any good reason why a 36-year old man might be inclined to take her advice to heart?

It was cute. I was really taken by the hair animation for some reason. My wife and kids liked it. You could probably skip it. Might be nice to watch on a snowy day in the middle of winter when you want to dream of warmth.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:16 pm 
The Master

bada wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

It was cute. I was really taken by the hair animation for some reason. My wife and kids liked it. You could probably skip it. Might be nice to watch on a snowy day in the middle of winter when you want to dream of warmth.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:19 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

tragabigzanda wrote:
bada wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

:thumbsup:

I really liked it. And it is cool to see my 5 year old nephew get into the movies that have the female leads. He loves Moana and Frozen.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:22 pm 
The Master

dammit ruddo

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:24 pm 

wat

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:26 pm 

My wife and kids rocked the Moana soundtrack for two months straight. The Bowie-esque Crab song is the best. They've moved on to the GOTG Awesome Mixes now.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:29 pm 

bada wrote:
My wife and kids rocked the Moana soundtrack for two months straight. The Bowie-esque Crab song is the best. They've moved on to the GOTG Awesome Mixes now.

OMG. That crab song is on my iPod because of my nephew. He loves that song.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:31 pm 

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
bada wrote:

OMG. That crab song is on my iPod because of my nephew. He loves that song.

The guy who sings it does it perfect.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment