The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2011 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101  Next
 Post subject: Re: HALL OF FAME!!!!!!
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:30 pm 
Banned from the Pit

I've been lurking around here for years and the quality of this thread is what finally got me to register. Classic RM.

That said, we all know that Ed's singing is related to his hair length. He's like Samson. Once he grows it back out all will be fine, until then we will be forced to suffer through the squeeks and e-nun-see-a-shuns.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:51 pm 
mXn

Outbursts, backpedaling, n00bs, n00bs coming right out of the gate and calling people douches, Dave A., and Ed's warbling.

This thread really does have it all.

Welcome to the board!

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:21 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

There are some recent shows that were hard to listen to because of Ed. Lots of them peter out towards the end of the 1st encore into the 2nd. Some start off with his voice cracking and get better, while others have random moments that are bad. It's definitely not like it used to be where you could just pick a City/Date at random and be blown away. The ones that are pretty consistent all the way through are really good, though.

ETA: I'm just hoping for more b-sides/demos or a new record within the next year.. We're entering new territory as far as the waiting game is concerned. There's plenty of new merch, though! :?

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:42 pm 

I think the era of listening to their live bootlegs and really finding value in that is over. Being at the show and vibing out with the band is better than ever. Any vocal limitations are more than overcome when standing with the audience and being a part of all that, it takes away any issue with some vocal tick on those fast uptempo numbers, cause it's really about the energy and vibe, and he's doing enough to make the performances connect. But, listening back on audio only I'm sure it's different, but I don't think i've gotten a bootleg over any of the last 5 years or so.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:08 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Rusted wrote:
I've been lurking around here for years and the quality of this thread is what finally got me to register. Classic RM.

That said, we all know that Ed's singing is related to his hair length. He's like Samson. Once he grows it back out all will be fine, until then we will be forced to suffer through the squeeks and e-nun-see-a-shuns.

Welcome to the shit show, Rusted Tromboner.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:09 pm 

Tuolumne wrote:
I think the era of listening to their live bootlegs and really finding value in that is over. Being at the show and vibing out with the band is better than ever. Any vocal limitations are more than overcome when standing with the audience and being a part of all that, it takes away any issue with some vocal tick on those fast uptempo numbers, cause it's really about the energy and vibe, and he's doing enough to make the performances connect. But, listening back on audio only I'm sure it's different, but I don't think i've gotten a bootleg over any of the last 5 years or so.

I really believe that the vibe is what draws me in and is why I continue to listen to some of these recordings.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:01 pm 
The Master

It's okay To hate Pearl Jam these days. It's also okay to still love them despite their growing weaknesses.

I love the internet

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:04 pm 
Poster of the Year

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
michpall wrote:
Enough with the Bruce Springsteen comparisons. He doesn't hold a candle to Eddie....he wouldn't last 30 minutes fronting Pearl Jam. Not even a question. He isn't a hard rock singer and that is why his shitty voice is somewhat preserved. Overrated. If you want to compare someone in Vedder's class then maybe Cornell but even he wouldn't be able to sing PJ songs after three shows and not get booed off stage. Unfortunately, there is no singer that has taken the torch and moved rock music forward and not sold out by conforming to shitty trends. Until someone with the balls and courage to pave their own path, rock music will remain on life support and PJ will have to continue to carry it forward.

omg is this gary?!?

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:47 pm 

Strat wrote:
It's okay To hate Pearl Jam these days. It's also okay to still love them despite their growing weaknesses.

I love the internet

My hero... :luv:

In TWD's fandom, Daryl Dixon is the most polarizing character that receives the most hate/love. Common criticisms are that he mumbles and was a better character in earlier seasons. Lots of people have been wanting him dead for the last 3 years, but he's the most popular guy and will most likely never go away. Ed Vedder is the Daryl Dixon of PJ. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:13 pm 
mXn

Bammer wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
Hmmm don't recall socks but I may have overlooked them.

Ok well fingers crossed. I need to be swathed in PJ gear from head to toe.

Welp. No socks.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:36 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

Tuolumne wrote:

"The music sucks but the vibe is amazing, man!"

It's not totally inconceivable that people would be turned off by Ed's vocals in person either, it's not as though some there's some magic being sucked out in the process of preparing the bootlegs. How he sounds is how he sounds, it just depends on whether you're able to sufficiently engage with the "vibe" to look past it.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:53 pm 

I dunno, I was at the Wrigley shows, aint none of those 42,000 folks complaining about the vocals or the bands playing. That said, I think the vocals on Lightning Bolt are fantastic. And that is when I'm really closing my eyes or driving and really paying attention to the vocal detail. And there, it's still good. Yes, I am unapologetically there because of the "vibe, man". This shit aint classical or jazz music where I sit with my arms folded and critique. Whatever mocking that brings, so be it.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:52 pm 
Rank This Poster

I don't really understand the idea that there is some kind of "vibe" that exists independently of the music being played. Without the music being played, there is no vibe.

I also don't think the only way for someone to notice a band is playing poorly is to be some analytical poindexter. More prescient listeners to music may have a more discerning ear as to specifically what's wrong with a particular performance, but I think a casual listener is more than able to pick up on that kind of thing and have it deflate the moment, even if he doesn't necessarily use the language to explain why.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:55 pm 
AnalLog

My last two live shows were Hartord 2008 and Denver 2014. After seeing PJ on Conan (Got Some), Fallon (Ole) and Ed singing Comfortably Numb with Roger, I was really feeling down and out about the band. I couldn't escape focusing on Ed's vocals. I am the kind of fan that was disappointed when he stopped doing the vocal scales that used to bring Porch back in after the jam.

That being said, I was BLOWN away with how Ed sounded in Denver. His midrange is as strong as ever and he kept pushing that show. What he can do now, he does really well. Also, the band sounds better. Jeff is a monster in the mix and the Stone/Matt combination can be great.

I went on youtube and played the HBO versions of Better Man and Alive from the HOF show. Guys, this band is amazing. They still have it. I can't wait for the next time I get to see them live.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:38 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Bammer wrote:
Bammer wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
Hmmm don't recall socks but I may have overlooked them.

Ok well fingers crossed. I need to be swathed in PJ gear from head to toe.

Welp. No socks.

The Chili Peppers must have been in town.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:04 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Hatfield wrote:
My last two live shows were Hartord 2008 and Denver 2014. After seeing PJ on Conan (Got Some), Fallon (Ole) and Ed singing Comfortably Numb with Roger, I was really feeling down and out about the band. I couldn't escape focusing on Ed's vocals. I am the kind of fan that was disappointed when he stopped doing the vocal scales that used to bring Porch back in after the jam.

That being said, I was BLOWN away with how Ed sounded in Denver. His midrange is as strong as ever and he kept pushing that show. What he can do now, he does really well. Also, the band sounds better. Jeff is a monster in the mix and the Stone/Matt combination can be great.

I went on youtube and played the HBO versions of Better Man and Alive from the HOF show. Guys, this band is amazing. They still have it. I can't wait for the next time I get to see them live.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:07 pm 
The Master

Hatfield wrote:

That Denver show really was a highlight of my PJ concert going experience.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:15 pm 

That Denver show slays!!! :bammer: :bammer: :bammer: :bammer:

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:29 pm 

digster wrote:
I don't really understand the idea that there is some kind of "vibe" that exists independently of the music being played. Without the music being played, there is no vibe.

I also don't think the only way for someone to notice a band is playing poorly is to be some analytical poindexter. More prescient listeners to music may have a more discerning ear as to specifically what's wrong with a particular performance, but I think a casual listener is more than able to pick up on that kind of thing and have it deflate the moment, even if he doesn't necessarily use the language to explain why.

I guess we're getting into intangible territory here, live music. On albums, the music and performances have to be on point. Cause it's gotta be good enough to make me want to go back and listen again and again. So, I'm totally honed in on the vocals and all that shit (although fuck me if I'm saying something like "hey they really should make the 2nd rhythm guitar higher in the mix"). The music either moves me, or it doesn't. Live in concert, it's a give and take, it's an energy, it's a ... yes .. a "vibe". Does it make me wanna jump around? Sing along? "vibe" out? I've got 3 or 4 minutes for a song, no take backs, no re-listening, I either feel it or I don't. Fortunately, I more than feel it with them these days, live they are on point, scratchy vocals and all cause the energy and effort is good enough to make me jam out for those 3-4 minutes per song for the most part.

I think the bootlegs have served their purpose. I don't need them now, and I don't think they're particularly good. I think they are a good relic of those "middle" years. I actually want one of those audience recorded bootlegs like the ones from the early 90s where you could hear someone yelling or puking in the background or whatever. Takes you closer to that "vibe" thing.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:37 pm 
The Master

Tuolumne wrote:
I actually want one of those audience recorded bootlegs like the ones from the early 90s where you could hear someone yelling or puking in the background or whatever. Takes you closer to that "vibe" thing.

haha, i thought i was the only one. after spending the 90s listening to true bootlegs, i never could quite get into the official boots for those same reasons. only ever owned a handful, and didn't listen to them as much.

i'd also add that the official boots were too easy to acquire, whereas you had to hunt down the true boots, whether by b&p or by ordering them through your local independent record store. that was part of the fun and fulfillment.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2011 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam