The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2624 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 132  Next
 Post subject: Re: The everyone LOVES radiohead thread!
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:45 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i just snagged one of the limited blue variants

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:50 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

bodysnatcher wrote:
i just snagged one of the limited blue variants

bourbon-barrel aged with vanilla bean?

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:59 pm 
Future Drummer

j's brain wrote:
"...and a C90 cassette mix tape compiled by us, taken from OK COMPUTER session archives and demo tapes."

This is what I'm looking forward to the most. Hopefully full versions of song demos or alternate takes.

Same here. I'd be pleasantly surprised if it was a full 90 minutes and if it contained full songs - probably more likely 45 minutes (same each side) of song snippets.

This is probably RH's way of giving fans the early versions of Nude, True Love Waits, Follow Me Around, etc. that they're clammoring for, without having to put them out as finished pieces (which they obviously consider they were not). Demos would be very cool too :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:11 am 
Future Drummer

I've hit the wall with these deluxe sets. I won't buy them unless they are exactly to my liking. Three options here, and they all suck. A 3 or 4-CD set would have been nice with the stuff on the cassette on the third disc and a concert on the fourth. Then I would have bought it. But fuck that. I'm not buying the whole thing over again for 3 new songs and a download code.

They could have padded this with all kinds of content and nobody would have complained. Instead they give us something that appears skimpier than the illicit set that EMI put out.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:45 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

radiohead's my favorite band, but i went with the blue 3LP. down the road, if the price drops on the box, i'd consider it just because. but overall, agreed, this deluxe shit is getting out of control.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:09 am 
Future Drummer

The box for me - I'm a sucker for ephemera etc, plus OKC is my favourite album of all time (hardly original I know :roll:).

It would have been nice if a live CD or DVD was included, but I guess the focus is on the studio sessions (and I think the tape is a great way to do that).

While I know there is a plethora of live stuff available (13 discs worth in fact ;) ), it still surprises me that for such an amazing live band they've yet to put out a full-length live album.

Last edited by ridleybradout on Wed May 03, 2017 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:20 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

I'm also in "wait and see" mode on this one--my vinyl pressing of OK Computer sounds great, and I don't see myself spinning a b-sides disc very often. But if I see it used or on sale someday, I'd probably pick it up.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:31 am 
tl;dr

I'll get the three songs off iTunes (or in FLAC if they're available as such) and add them to the third disc of "Every Last Crumb" as bonus tracks. The demo stuff doesn't excite me much.

For an album in zero need of sonic refurbishing to have received "deluxe reissue" treatment twice in twenty years is ridiculous. This shit has got to stop.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:52 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Kevin Davis wrote:
I'll get the three songs off iTunes (or in FLAC if they're available as such) and add them to the third disc of "Every Last Crumb" as bonus tracks. The demo stuff doesn't excite me much.

For an album in zero need of sonic refurbishing to have received "deluxe reissue" treatment twice in twenty years is ridiculous. This shit has got to stop.

agreed.

but counterargument is that the band wasn't involved with the first reissue through Capitol

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:05 am 
Future Drummer

bodysnatcher wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

agreed.

but counterargument is that the band wasn't involved with the first reissue through Capitol

Exactly - I think this is probably the most deserving album of theirs to get the proper band-curated deluxe treatment.

Remember when XL purchased the bands catalogue last year?
Quote:
“This is the first step in the transfer of Radiohead’s back catalogue from Parlophone to XL. The main albums are being made available in their original form as a start, before non-LP material is reconfigured.”

I wonder if this means there will be more deluxes in the future? An insight into the sessions/demos for Kid A/Amnesiac would be most welcome :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:50 am 
tl;dr

I am certainly in favor of the material coming out, I just prefer the Incesticide/Lost Dogs/Echo of Miles/Bootleg Series release approach to this practice of including it as bait on redundant and often overpriced reissues of albums I already paid for.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:54 am 
AnalLog

Kevin Davis wrote:

Yes, yes it does. I think the superdeluxe is overpriced and I'm probably not going to buy it, but I certainly hope to come across the demo recordings in some way...

That being said, I'm beyond excited for the three new tracks and my copy of OK Computer is utterly unplayable at this point (as I got it in 1997 and have played it approximately 10 billion times since then) so I'm happy to have a new CD edition. I'm just not sure if I want to go further than that.

As I mentioned to a friend earlier today I'm not surprised there's no live stuff. The band clearly feel that the OKC tour was a low point in their history and they probably don't feel like wading through any of it to find a good live show. As much as we might lionize that era of the band I think they probably don't want to revisit that tour at all. Or it could just be that they didn't record many shows at that point; paying off MTV or some other company for a recording is not something Radiohead are likely to do.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:52 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
I've hit the wall with these deluxe sets. I won't buy them unless they are exactly to my liking. Three options here, and they all suck. A 3 or 4-CD set would have been nice with the stuff on the cassette on the third disc and a concert on the fourth. Then I would have bought it. But fuck that. I'm not buying the whole thing over again for 3 new songs and a download code.

They could have padded this with all kinds of content and nobody would have complained. Instead they give us something that appears skimpier than the illicit set that EMI put out.

The gold standard for these '90s-reissue campaigns has to be The Smashing Pumpkins. So much friggin' content.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:03 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

yeah the sp were cool.

Im thinking of getting OKC in vinyl, but just the regular one.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:12 pm 
Champion of RM

Lionize?

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:27 pm 
tl;dr

li·on·ize
ˈlīəˌnīz/
verb
give a lot of public attention and approval to (someone); treat as a celebrity.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:13 am 
Champion of RM

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=590277

Source 1:
Multiple Wireless Sources > Multitrack Recorder
Taper: Hoserama

Source 2:
Schoeps mk4 > Actives > B-Box > Sony M10
Taper: TheMan

Mixed, Produced, and Mastered by Sharebear/Hoserama
Aligned in Adobe Audition
Mixed in Nuendo 4, using extra waves, Ozone, Slate plug-ins
Dithered using Izotope MBIT+
Flac'ed using Trader's Little Helper
Mix version 4

I've been collecting audience recordings for about 20 years, what the hell does that mean? Does that mean they "stole" the signal from each member's IEM and recorded and mixed it themselves? It sounds really good.

I've always wanted to hear a set of IEMs. Too bad the whole lot isn't available.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:10 am 
Future Drummer

CopperTom wrote:
I've been collecting audience recordings for about 20 years, what the hell does that mean? Does that mean they "stole" the signal from each member's IEM and recorded and mixed it themselves? It sounds really good.

That has to be the case. How they pulled it off, I have no idea.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:26 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

CopperTom wrote:

That has to be the case. How they pulled it off, I have no idea.

i don't know anything about IEMs, but surely there's some sort of device out there that can pick up the wireless transmission signal. if cheap baby monitors can pick up on each other, there's got to be a way. the question is probably getting that device into the show, or are the transmission signals strong enough so that you could pick them up right outside of the venue?

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:47 pm 
A Return To Form

agreed, i kinda feel like a sucker now for buying the box set, but whatever, i'm sure it'll be packaged nicely.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2624 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 132  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands