The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 711 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hate Groups: White Supremacists, Neo-Nazis, the Alt-Righ
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:16 am 
Production Police

Simple Torture wrote:
Being from the Boston suburbs, this sort of thing really wasn't an issue in my community growing up--I did go to a very white school where we had no black students until I was in 5th or 6th grade, but the community at large was pretty diverse. As many have sort of indicated, the only real racism I saw was the "soft, old-person kind" where people used to bemoan, "The neighborhood used to look different, you know what I mean?" But my family had a summer home in a small town in New Hampshire where we'd go every summer, and that town was 99% white--probably 100% white when my parents bought a cottage there in the mid-'80s. When I was 15 or so and working at a local camp, my mother asked if I'd walk home with one of my co-workers and her little brother--their house was on the way, and I walked home every day, so it wouldn't be a real big deal, right?

I don't remember if it was later that summer or after the summer was over, but I eventually found out that my co-worker's parents had asked my boss to see if any white staff member would walk home with them--they were black--and my boss contacted my mom to set it up. The reason? They were the first black family to move into the town maybe ever (or at least as long as anyone could remember), and the KKK started putting up fliers and actually held a rally at the post office to vaguely declare that the town "wouldn't be taken over" and that they would "do anything necessary" to keep it the way it was (I did some searching online and found this article from the Boston Phoenix that references when it was all getting rolling). Once I found out what was going down, I started to piece together why people would speed up in cars while passing us, and I think there may have been a few shouts out of windows as well. But while it was all going on, I had no idea. The family moved that year, I think, and things quieted down quickly. They still have the house up there and there hasn't been a peep since.

Looking at the date in that article, I guess I was 14, not 15 that summer. Which means my mother put me between this family and the Klan when I was fourteen years old. Thanks, Mom.

Real pro move keeping your friends' black identity secret until the second paragraph -- suddenly the whole narrative shifted!

Seriously, this story is super interesting to me. My experience in Gloucester was fairly similar (though the Portuguese community had no problem with the influx of Brazilians that happened in the 90s).

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:17 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

tragabigzanda wrote:
Real pro move keeping your friends' black identity secret until the second paragraph -- suddenly the whole narrative shifted!

I knew I'd use these English degrees someday!

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:18 am 
Production Police

BurtReynolds wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Find your local hate group!

https://www.splcenter.org/hate-map

I don't see Red Mosquito listed.

First Pearl Jam has to be designated as a race or religion before we can all be designated a hate group.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:20 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

tragabigzanda wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I don't see Red Mosquito listed.

First Pearl Jam has to be designated as a race or religion before we can all be designated a hate group.

I've never seen a nonwhite member of the Jamily. hmmm...

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:22 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

tragabigzanda wrote:

I found mine; real subtle, guys.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:23 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I've come across some militant catholic groups out there recently. What's that about?

They seem to view protestants as degenerate, but not as bad as the rest.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:26 am 
Production Police

BurtReynolds wrote:
I've come across some militant catholic groups out there recently. What's that about?

Pfft, the Catholics have been dealing in immense shame for centuries; it's just a hop, skip, and a jump to hate.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:29 am 
Production Police

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:30 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

tragabigzanda wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

Pfft, the Catholics have been dealing in immense shame for centuries; it's just a hop, skip, and a jump to hate.

take it to the White Guilt thread

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:36 am 

96583UP wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

take it to the White Guilt thread

Neo-Inquisitors.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:52 am 
RM Elitist

cutuphalfdead wrote:
happy birthday skitch

lol

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:48 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

racism infuriates me. just because of someones skin color you hate them or think you are better than them? spend 15 minutes with someone and you will surely find 4 things to despise them for

when i lived in california i had two interactions with skinheads. the first one was playing basketball. had had the iron cross and swastikas tattoos all over his body, head shaved etc. he never used racial slurs and was actually quite intelligent. he didnt use the chance of an intentional foul to send a message to any minorities. talked to him a few times and he just stated he thought white people should stay with white people and black stay with black. he didnt say he wanted them dead or anything and at least at that base level i could understand his logic even thought i completely disagree with him. there was a general respect among everyone on the court that you just didnt discuss that stuff and there was never any trouble.

second time was walking down the PCH near the huntington beach pier when i heard some guys say hello and i didnt look up and i just said good afternoon guys and kept walking. a few seconds later my brother nudged me and asked me what the fuck i was doing. i had no idea what he was talking about and and he said whyd you say hi to them? my reply was simple, they had said hello. did you even look at them? i turned and they were probably 100 feet or so away but middle of august and they were in black tank tops, camo pants and boots with what looked like a shit ton of tattoos from where i was (couldnt make them out). my brother than said they gave me the salute as they walked by since i was bald and wearing a tank top also (just shorts and probably flip flops) and no tattoos to signify that i was "one". i just shrugged that one off and nothing came of it.

you hear people always say, whats the big deal with being a minority it isnt so bad....what do you have to fear etc. one place i played basketball was outside at a highschool probably 100-150 people on all the courts at any given time. maybe 10% of us where white. i never really felt threatened but you were very aware of how outnumbered your skin color was. no one really bothered anyone other than the standard alpha dog trying to let you know this was his court etc..

playing into the evening when things would wrap up talking about various stuff would happen and it usually centered around music, like tupac, dre and cube etc. people would look at me and my only reply was, how bout that new areosmith huh? was a good way to break the ice with the guys but it really did give me an idea of how "minorities" must feel when surrounded by the man in other aspects of life.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:48 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

racism infuriates me. just because of someones skin color you hate them or think you are better than them? spend 15 minutes with someone and you will surely find 4 things to despise them for

when i lived in california i had two interactions with skinheads. the first one was playing basketball. had had the iron cross and swastikas tattoos all over his body, head shaved etc. he never used racial slurs and was actually quite intelligent. he didnt use the chance of an intentional foul to send a message to any minorities. talked to him a few times and he just stated he thought white people should stay with white people and black stay with black. he didnt say he wanted them dead or anything and at least at that base level i could understand his logic even thought i completely disagree with him. there was a general respect among everyone on the court that you just didnt discuss that stuff and there was never any trouble.

second time was walking down the PCH near the huntington beach pier when i heard some guys say hello and i didnt look up and i just said good afternoon guys and kept walking. a few seconds later my brother nudged me and asked me what the fuck i was doing. i had no idea what he was talking about and and he said whyd you say hi to them? my reply was simple, they had said hello. did you even look at them? i turned and they were probably 100 feet or so away but middle of august and they were in black tank tops, camo pants and boots with what looked like a shit ton of tattoos from where i was (couldnt make them out). my brother than said they gave me the salute as they walked by since i was bald and wearing a tank top also (just shorts and probably flip flops) and no tattoos to signify that i was "one". i just shrugged that one off and nothing came of it.

you hear people always say, whats the big deal with being a minority it isnt so bad....what do you have to fear etc. one place i played basketball was outside at a highschool probably 100-150 people on all the courts at any given time. maybe 10% of us where white. i never really felt threatened but you were very aware of how outnumbered your skin color was. no one really bothered anyone other than the standard alpha dog trying to let you know this was his court etc..

playing into the evening when things would wrap up talking about various stuff would happen and it usually centered around music, like tupac, dre and cube etc. people would look at me and my only reply was, how bout that new areosmith huh? was a good way to break the ice with the guys but it really did give me an idea of how "minorities" must feel when surrounded by the man in other aspects of life.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:23 am 
Looks Like a Cat

tragabigzanda wrote:
I just don't understand why some people feel that their "native-by-birth, yet descendent of immigrants" position in a given country is somehow more righteous than "new immigrant" (did I state that question clearly?)

What are your feelings on colonization?

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:59 am 
Production Police

Bi_3 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
I just don't understand why some people feel that their "native-by-birth, yet descendent of immigrants" position in a given country is somehow more righteous than "new immigrant" (did I state that question clearly?)

Great for the colonizers, sucky for the colonized.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:35 am 
Looks Like a Cat

tragabigzanda wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Yeah, it kinda does. What is a colonizer in your view?

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:45 am 
Production Police

Bi_3 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Yeah, it kinda does. What is a colonizer in your view?

Off the top of my head: One who tries to impose, through force, their ideology, government, and/or economic system on a group of people from another country (or ungoverned territory).

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:45 am 
Production Police

Sort of like Lenny with his quote pyramids.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:01 pm 
AnalLog

Some unsettling stuff coming out in Germany regarding Nazi like groups that have infiltrated their army.

So far they have attempted to frame refugees for crimes to stir hate and anti-refugee emotions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... 8621b2c7f8

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:06 pm 
Production Police

jwfocker wrote:
Some unsettling stuff coming out in Germany regarding Nazi like groups that have infiltrated their army.

So far they have attempted to frame refugees for crimes to stir hate and anti-refugee emotions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... 8621b2c7f8

The scariest part of this story is the indication of a new direction in white supremacy: where before they seemed mostly content to disseminate hateful views, save for the DIY terrorist Timothy McVeighs of the world, this suggests they are taking a page from ISIS/etc in their obtainment of weaponry. They're getting smarter about the systems that will allow them access to larger instruments of violence, and I suspect we'll see a major white supremacist attack (on citizens of all backgrounds) in short time. Recall that McVeigh bombed the Federal building to instigate a race war; my sense is that there is a new generation of hate groups who feel that war has yet to be properly ignited, and a chemical/nuclear/dirty bomb attack in a large public area is apt to make bigger waves than McVeigh's fertilizer bomb that was contained in the parking garage of a Federal office building.

Related, this happened in Bozeman yesterday:
http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/ne ... 6435d.html

While hate groups' presence in MT is well established, I have never seen any evidence that they are in the (largely progressive) southwestern part of the state. This story is interesting to me because it illustrates these groups' growing dexterity with the internet. That the Daily Stormer could compel a handful of knuckleheads to take (non-violent) action in a place without an established presence fits nicely into the larger narrative of a decentralized collection of hate groups who are able to share their ideas easily online, and who feel they need to make their presence and beliefs known outside of their own circles. This is definitely not a Hayden Lake "let's build a white compound society in the mountains" scenario; this is a concerted (if nascent) effort to grow and influence the world beyond their established reach.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 711 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 36  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate