The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anti-Trump fascists attack in Berkeley
PostPosted: Tue March 07, 2017 4:13 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

The Argonaut wrote:
This one is indefensible. Just embarrassing.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... ng/518652/

Very interesting article. Thanks for sharing. The very real attack on peaceful assembly and free speech that is happening all across the country should be of high concern to everyone, and denying its existence is dishonest and dangerous. This is the kind of evidence that continues to be ignored or skewed by so many that insist freedom of speech isn't under attack and that protesters are peaceful, when they clearly aren't. I fully support the right to peacefully protest, but what is happening more often than not is violent uprising of people that believe in physically silencing anyone that dares to think differently than them. Until this truth is recognized and condemned by those that continue to deny it, affirm it, or encourage it, I fear these types of incidents and violent altercations will only escalate and eventually people are going to die.

PostPosted: Tue March 07, 2017 5:53 pm 
Future Drummer

Now if only you were concerned that the actual president of the United States has deemed the press the enemy of the American people, which is an actual fascist action. Look up what fascism actually means. What the people in the above article are doing isn't good, but it's not fascism, which has a very specific definition. Criminalizing peaceful protest (which this administration has actually made overtures to) would also fall under that umbrella. As scary as the Black bloc and some of these other groups can be, they have no real power. They aren't in the government making laws. If you're a libertarian you should be much more concerned about the people writing actual anti-liberty laws in the books.

Also, the anti-immigration rhetoric is absolutely creating violence against LEGAL immigrants. Multiple Indian men (who often hold highly needed jobs as doctors, engineers, etc.) have been shot and killed in xenophobic attacks in the past several days, and no one seems to give a shit. There is thought now that communities in red states are facing doctor shortages in part due to the immigration order, which again, is an actual legislative policy of the current government.

Last edited by Orpheus on Tue March 07, 2017 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue March 07, 2017 5:58 pm 

Orpheus wrote:
Now if only you were concerned that the actual president of the United States has deemed the press the enemy of the American people, which is an actual fascist action. Look up what fascism actually means. What the people in the above article are doing isn't good, but it's not fascism, which has a very specific definition.

Silencing dissent through force is fascism, and I am concerned about the president and the media. Both sides are extreme in my view. The media has perpetrated many untruths and deserves skepticism, but a free and honest press is a pillar of a free people.

PostPosted: Tue March 07, 2017 6:03 pm 
Future Drummer

Sorry for the edit after your reply, just had more to say on that.

PostPosted: Tue March 07, 2017 6:10 pm 
Rank This Poster

There's a lot of merit to what Friedersdorf is saying here (this topic is, for lack of a better term, an obsession for him), but Orpheus is right to note the disparity in concern between things like this and a president who, on paper, is tantamount to a libertarian's worst nightmare. The question of these kinds of actions on college campuses is notable, and I get why they concern people, but to act like this is Chapter 1 to the End of the Republic is fairly overblown; opposition from libertarians to Trump has been paltry compared to the coverage things like this get.

You get the impression libertarians feel more comfortable in these waters than taking on Trump. From my outside perspective, that seems to be starting to change, but it's still notable that it's taken this long.

PostPosted: Tue March 07, 2017 6:48 pm 
Poster of the Year

The Argonaut wrote:
This one is indefensible. Just embarrassing.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... ng/518652/

Yeah that's pretty fucked up.

PostPosted: Tue March 07, 2017 9:41 pm 
Future Drummer

cutuphalfdead wrote:
All I did was call him a nazi. It might not be the most accurate term, but it's not the same as when people call everyone they disagree with nazis. If that was the case I'd be calling you a nazi, which I'm not.

Nobody can ever be a nazi because free speech. Duh!

PostPosted: Tue March 07, 2017 9:42 pm 
Poster of the Year

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
All I did was call him a nazi. It might not be the most accurate term, but it's not the same as when people call everyone they disagree with nazis. If that was the case I'd be calling you a nazi, which I'm not.

Nobody can ever be a nazi because free speech. Duh!

God you're sexy.

PostPosted: Wed March 08, 2017 12:44 am 
Broken Tamborine

PHATJ wrote:
The very real attack on peaceful assembly and free speech that is happening all across the country.

I fully support the right to peacefully protest, but what is happening more often than not is violent uprising of people.

The hyperbole is strong with this one.

PostPosted: Wed March 08, 2017 1:52 am 

Dscans wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
The very real attack on peaceful assembly and free speech that is happening all across the country.

I fully support the right to peacefully protest, but what is happening more often than not is violent uprising of people.

The hyperbole is strong with this one.

Would you prefer happening in many areas across the country and happening at an alarming rate?

PostPosted: Wed March 08, 2017 10:04 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Tue March 07, 2023 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri March 10, 2017 4:44 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

BurtReynolds wrote:
At this point, libertarian's only tangible connection to the Republican party is Rand Paul, and he's so inconsistent he's barely worth supporting.

For all his flaws, still better than Gary Johnson's 2016 run. Yikes.

PostPosted: Sat March 11, 2017 10:58 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Tue March 07, 2023 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat March 11, 2017 2:42 pm 
Future Drummer

BurtReynolds wrote:
Trump's only been around for a few months. For the most part he's a useful idiot. His incompetence exposes the problem with strong central government, and the look on democrat faces when they had to hand over control of the weaponized federal government they created was nearly worth him winning. So far he's been a bull in a china shop in Washington, though there isn't much intelligence behind it.

"I'm glad they put the toddler behind the wheel of that tractor trailer. When he ran over all those people, it really exposed the problem with allowing such huge trucks to exist."

PostPosted: Sat March 11, 2017 8:52 pm 

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Tue March 07, 2023 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun March 26, 2017 3:19 am 

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Tue March 07, 2023 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun March 26, 2017 4:14 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Kill your IP

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sun March 26, 2017 5:40 am 

PostPosted: Sun April 16, 2017 1:51 am 

PostPosted: Sun April 16, 2017 2:13 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

BurtReynolds wrote:
new Trump rally scheduled in April at Berkeley. Somebody will probably die at this one.

pshhh, you were way off...

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate