The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Place Without a Postcard - The Midnight Oil Thread
PostPosted: Tue April 04, 2017 10:58 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

I was in the ballot for their club show next week to kick off the tour. Unsuccessful but the dream was alive for a few days. What a show that's going to be.

PostPosted: Wed April 05, 2017 8:35 am 
Rank This Poster

I saw that come up in an e-mail somewhere. That would be a great show to be at for sure.

PostPosted: Thu April 06, 2017 2:24 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Going to start diving deep into the catalog this weekend. I'm pretty excited.

PostPosted: Thu April 06, 2017 3:39 pm 

:hooray:

PostPosted: Thu April 06, 2017 3:41 pm 
Rank This Poster

:hooray:

Make sure Red Sails in the Sunset gets a spin Ruddo. Its a cracker.

PostPosted: Thu April 06, 2017 3:42 pm 
Rank This Poster

:lol:

Timing!

PostPosted: Sat April 08, 2017 6:01 pm 
Rank This Poster

Bird Noises (EP) - 1980

I love bands that release EPs. You've got a couple extra damn fine tunes hanging around, but not quite enough to make a full album...EP that shit!

Love it. Winner for the band and winner for the punters.

Anyways, gotta say not keen on Peter Garrett's cry of "Let's Rock" to start this off. Not to many cringy moments in The Oils catalogue, but we may well have one right here. Anyways, bar that average start, No Time for Games actually turns out to be quite the decent song. Solid lyrics, solid musicality. Guitar driven, decent. Never gonna make a greatest hits comp but not bad all the same. The refrain "Some kids got no time for playtime, some kids got no time for games" is damn good and speaks to me.. And the outro here is pretty damn fine too. Tune gets better as it runs. I'll go with a 3 here.

Moving on to Knife's Edge... The start up is interesting for sure, drum intro y'all. Noice. The full band stuff that kicks in after is a tad 'samey' but gotta give Peter Garrett some credit for his vox here, keeps it interesting. The song continues to no great heights, but Rob Hirst's drums in particular keep it solid. In the end though, this is the weak sauce. 2 rating.

Wedding Cake Island is both track 3 and the name of the island off Coogee Beach that protects the beach from some hellish swells. This is both a nod to The Shadows and an example of The Oils love for the idea of the old school surf rock band. 3 stars, but in truth difficult to score.

I'm the Cure is likely my least fave tune from The Oil's catalogue to this point. I can certainly grab many musical items from it that are classic Oils and worth the listen, but overall, particularly lyrically and vocally, I don't see much to yodel over the mountains about. This is a 2.

In total we have a 2.5 rating across the EP. That's fair. not great, not terrible. I do want to again re-state my love and admiraton for the bands that are willing and able to put out EP's on a regular basis. Imagine a world in which we had, say, another 2 or 3 PJ EP's. Isn't that a better world for you and me?

This Midnight Oil EP lets them get out some songs that they've been toying with, and allows them to complete tunes that may have been pissing them off for some time. More importantly though, it lets them take another step forward, and lays the ground works for the band being willing to later on release another EP, one that, in my opinion, turned out to be their musical pinnacle, 1985's Species Deceases.

But we'll get there soon enough. Can you hear what's up next? Big things are-a-brewing...

PostPosted: Mon April 10, 2017 6:43 am 

I too like EPs. And Species may very well be my favourite EP ever. This one is okay, low 2's or maybe 2.5 stars. What I do like about this EP is after the first two albums this sounds like a live band in the studio. I'm The Cure has some guitar breakdowns that would have been a treat live for sure.

The Let's Rock is awful and starts the whole affair with a stutter. Which is apt as I believe all of these 4 tracks are almost hamstrung in some way. The drop beat in No Time For Games is tasty. The half time chorus and syncopation feels nice for the first verse but by the 2nd tim around it gets to feel like a car stalling when it should be cruising in 5th gear finally unleashing when it gets to the solo. Classic Garrett here in the verses and the pre chorus.

You're right, Higgs, the drums on Knife's Edge are a highlight on this EP. Hirst has definitely found his studio feet as this release has more energy than the first 2 albums. Not a fan of this song though.

Wedding Cake Island is nice for what it is yet I don't believe anyone has ever wanted to hear it. I am a fan of the guitar interplay here. Nice mood and they could do some movie scores based on this track. EPs are great for trying out a new direction or throwing a curveball.

I don't mind the last track either. The space in this shows that these songs were road tested before recording. Sounds like The Angels again at the start. Good backing vocals but not a particularly memorable melody. It gets a bit aimless before the solo.

It's a fair 4 song EP that has moments of classic Oils yet ultimately doesn't deliver or satisfy. I believe they had some other songs ready for their next album and maybe had decided how it was going to sound and these tracks didn't fit. I have no evidence of that though. Strangely, I have been wanting to hear this over the past week so it got more play than the other 2 albums. Maybe that's the allure of an EP.

PostPosted: Tue April 11, 2017 9:00 am 

Secret Show at Marrickville Bowlo

http://themusic.com.au/news/all/2017/04/10/midnight-oil-kick-off-reunion-with-surprise-syd-pub-show/

Plus King Of The Mountain as an encore

PostPosted: Tue April 11, 2017 9:04 am 

LetMeSleep wrote:
William Bloke wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:
Lament wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:
I was playing some Oils in the car and my boy liked Beds Are Burning so it was on repeat for a fair few weeks. He now runs around yelling the opening bahm bahm bahm like it's his superhero theme track. It's quite adorable.

He has also yelled out in the middle of his sleep "Give it back, we've got to give it back'. He asked about what it meant and it becomes so simple when you are talking to a 4 yr old. You cannot just take someone else's land etc. It made me quite proud when he quoted it to an uncle when his cousin wasn't playing nicely. "No you can't just take something. Give it back, like that Beds On Fire song". Man, I was so proud.

How does Wolf feel about Blue Sky Mine? That's my favorite Midnight Oil song.

He hasn't complained about the music which is a positive. I haven't started with the politics of blue asbestos mining and the impact on a community. I might save that for after Kindy or even year One.

Music wise he is in the Diesel and Dust camp, preferring Beds Are Burning and The Dead Heart. However there was a yell during Hercules that made me smile.

Fun fact: I know the dude who edited Blue Sky Mining. I worked with him for years.

'sfunny 'cause my son also really loved The Oils stuff he heard as a kid. To this day he always turns up volume if certain tunes hit the car stereo.

He's partial to Beds but 10 through 1 as a whole would be his fave.

Man I loved this band.

Wolf was headbanging to Hercules just yesterday. And Beds Are Burning is still a fav.

Higgs wrote:
This is something I will remember!

Just like this lad

PostPosted: Tue April 11, 2017 9:10 am 
Rank This Poster

Sweet! They didn't sound too bad either, all things considered.

By the time they get to me in October I fully expect them to be a juggernaut firing on at least 7 cyclinders. The music will be there for sure, a lot rests on Mr Garrett's substantial shoulders though.

Like I said though, don't sound too bad to me.

PostPosted: Tue April 11, 2017 11:19 am 

I'm looking forward to that gig October. And discovering their entire catalogue is mighty enjoyable so far.

PostPosted: Wed April 12, 2017 2:44 am 
Rank This Poster

LetMeSleep wrote:
Higgs wrote:
You're missing out bugs - these guys are great. I'd guess that they have a lot of stuff that you would like.

Try out 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 and the Species Deceases EP for sure.

Keep checking in here, bugs, for the next year. There's eleven albums all available on Spotify and it looks like we're going to LAL to them all.

But Species, Diesel and Dust, Blue Sky Mine and 10-1 are must listens.

I'll check em out.. so do their other good songs sound like beds are burning or was that like a song they crafted for the mainstream radio

PostPosted: Wed April 12, 2017 4:47 am 

i got bugs wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:
Higgs wrote:
You're missing out bugs - these guys are great. I'd guess that they have a lot of stuff that you would like.

Try out 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 and the Species Deceases EP for sure.

Keep checking in here, bugs, for the next year. There's eleven albums all available on Spotify and it looks like we're going to LAL to them all.

But Species, Diesel and Dust, Blue Sky Mine and 10-1 are must listens.

I'll check em out.. so do their other good songs sound like beds are burning or was that like a song they crafted for the mainstream radio

That album is definitely one where they focused on melody and producing a more mainstream album, that was only hinted at previously. If you're not keen to LAL to full albums then at least check out these tracks:

The Dead Heart
Dreamworld
Blue Sky Mining
Hercules
Progress
US Forces
King Of The Mountain
Forgotten Years
Power and The Passion
Kosciusko

PostPosted: Wed April 12, 2017 12:13 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Blue Sky is awesome

PostPosted: Wed April 12, 2017 12:20 pm 

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Blue Sky is awesome

Playing an impromptu gig on the streets of NYC in front of Exxon in protest is truly awesome.

Are you going to the Atlanta show, Ruddo? If not I have a spare for a show here.

PostPosted: Wed April 12, 2017 1:56 pm 
Rank This Poster

I have a spare for Perth too Ruddo. Aussie road trip!

PostPosted: Wed April 12, 2017 2:00 pm 

Ha. Anyone have a spare roundtrip airline ticket from the States?

PostPosted: Fri April 14, 2017 11:37 am 

Holy shit nearly all of Head Injuries.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/apr/14/midnight-oil-bring-scorching-set-to-sydney-pub-on-a-day-for-the-diehards

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:30 am 
Rank This Poster

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/inside-midnight-oils-triumphant-timely-return-w478911

In particular loved reading this:

"On May 26th, following the May 5th kickoff of the Oils' American tour in Atlanta, the band is issuing new box-set collections of their catalog. A special edition dubbed The Overflow Tank – as it comes in a facsimile of Hirst's signature percussion instrument, a rusted water tank – includes four CDs of live and unreleased material and eight DVDs of vintage concert films and documentaries. The drummer estimates that over their five months of rehearsal for the 2017 shows, the Oils played every song featured in that Tank – about 170 songs including B sides and outtakes – at least once. They then performed a close to a quarter of that bounty, almost 40 different songs, just at Selina's and Marrickville.

"The idea," Hirst says, "was that we should be able to play any of our recorded songs, so we can mix the sets up to such a degree that boredom would never set in – either for the band or the audience." That meant considerable extra homework for Hillman, who did not play on the Oils' first five studio albums."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands