The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 66  Next
 Post subject: Re: I Feel Stupid And Contagious / A Nirvana Thread
PostPosted: Tue March 14, 2017 9:28 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Birds in Hell wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Oh yeah i got a US copy...I need that album to end with Like Suicide...i mean, SLS is a pretty cool song, but its not the closer track.

Exactly.

When I saw the show online where they played the album it jarred that they ended on LS. Bonus tracks made me hate the record industry.

PostPosted: Tue March 14, 2017 3:26 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Bonus tracks you can only get in another country by paying $45 for a cd and then you get in trouble for 'illegally' downloading them made me hate the record industry. How is it illegal when you literally can't buy the fucking thing in your country?

PostPosted: Tue March 14, 2017 4:07 pm 

The bonus track and anniversary remaster phase in the mid 90s is certainly a factor in napster and future piracy. I remember my old man saying that he'd bought Dark Side at least 3-4 times in 94.

PostPosted: Wed March 15, 2017 12:35 am 
tl;dr

LetMeSleep wrote:
The bonus track and anniversary remaster phase in the mid 90s is certainly a factor in napster and future piracy. I remember my old man saying that he'd bought Dark Side at least 3-4 times in 94.

People are great. "This remaster of my old favorite album must have superior audio, so I will download a 96kbps rip of it off Napster so that I can have the best-sounding version of it without having to buy it again."

PostPosted: Wed March 15, 2017 12:40 am 
"Supersonic sucks."

LetMeSleep wrote:
I remember my old man saying that he'd bought Dark Side at least 3-4 times in 94.

I'm struggling with the temptation to fact check this.

PostPosted: Wed March 15, 2017 12:43 am 
tl;dr

Birds in Hell wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:
I remember my old man saying that he'd bought Dark Side at least 3-4 times in 94.

Vinyl, 8-track, cassette, CD?

PostPosted: Wed March 15, 2017 12:49 am 
"Supersonic sucks."

Kevin Davis wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:

Vinyl, 8-track, cassette, CD?

Oh, I misunderstood, I'd read it as though he'd bought multiple different reissues of DSotM in (rather than by) 1994.

Anyway, I've never understood why people get worked up about new reissues of old records with bonus tracks and whatever. Just don't buy them?

PostPosted: Wed March 15, 2017 1:54 am 
tl;dr

"Worked up" may be an overstatement, but you can certainly count me among those who don't care for the practice. As someone who enjoys an element of completism to his listening, it's frustrating when additional material -- which is clearly marketed towards established fans -- is only available if I pay a second time for an album I already bought in the past, possibly as part of some ludicrous "collectors'" package full of useless doo-dads and whatzits.

PostPosted: Wed March 15, 2017 2:55 am 
"Supersonic sucks."

I guess, though I admit I'm rarely interested in whatever bonus tracks are tacked onto reissues so I find it fairly easy to resist the temptation to buy things again and again. In fact, I'm usually more excited by a fresh mastering of the original album if the previous editions are deficient in some way or another. I usually make efforts to avoid bonus tracks where possible, eg. when I had to track down a US copy of Superunknown without She Like Surprises tacked on the end. I think they more often than not compromise the experience of listening to an album from front to back.

PostPosted: Wed March 15, 2017 3:25 am 
tl;dr

Oh, no temptation here -- I haven't bought a reissue (of an album I already own) since the Vs./Vitalogy thing in 2011. After getting suckered in a few times I've come to the conclusion that there is simply no album that I listen to enough to warrant buying a second time, no matter how much a remastered version may offer, unless my other copy is damaged; there's just too much other music out there to waste time fussing over whether a new version of an album sounds better than the one I've been perfectly content with for x number of years. What disappoints me is when the bonus material is something I'd gladly have paid for as standalone releases (the Paramount and Live and Loud shows from the recent Nirvana reissues being good examples, as well as some stuff from the recent Pumpkins reissues, and the 12 unreleased tracks in the recent $129 Springsteen "River" box), but they're only available as tack-ons when I re-purchase something I already bought.

PostPosted: Wed March 15, 2017 3:28 am 
tl;dr

Kevin Davis wrote:
Oh, no temptation here -- I haven't bought a reissue (of an album I already own) since the Vs./Vitalogy thing in 2011.

Wait, this isn't true -- I bought Mogwai's "Come On Die Young" reissue in 2014, but it was priced like a single disc, which offset any potential buyer's remorse.

PostPosted: Wed March 15, 2017 3:33 am 
Future Drummer

Thankfully the ability to purchase single tracks in FLAC format is becoming more common.

PostPosted: Wed March 15, 2017 3:36 am 
tl;dr

ridleybradout wrote:
Thankfully the ability to purchase single tracks in FLAC format is becoming more common.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed March 15, 2017 4:23 am 
Future Drummer

Kevin Davis wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
Oh, no temptation here -- I haven't bought a reissue (of an album I already own) since the Vs./Vitalogy thing in 2011.

Wait, this isn't true -- I bought Mogwai's "Come On Die Young" reissue in 2014, but it was priced like a single disc, which offset any potential buyer's remorse.

I was amazed by the Bob Dylan box with two dozen concerts (17 of them soundboards) priced well under $100. I realize this is previously unreleased material, but I hope it sets a precedent in general.

The only deluxe sets that I have recently purchased are the Velvet Underground ones, because all of them contain something that I deem essential, though some of the material that they include is the epitome of excessive padding.

PostPosted: Thu March 16, 2017 2:02 am 
tl;dr

Yeah, that Dylan set is a treasure -- I've still barely scratched the surface of it, though.

PostPosted: Sat April 01, 2017 9:23 pm 
Lost Cat

fyfe79 wrote:
I've been collecting Nirvana on and off over the years, but I'm mainly a collector/fanboy for an Irish band called Therapy? and my plan is to compile similar definitive comps. Well, tbh, I've already compiled them (and revised multiple times, as I'm sure you'll understand!) but am looking to create decent artwork in order to "release" them to the Therapy? community (yes, there is one!). Any recommendations for decent cd artwork programs?

If you want help with the artwork, I'd be glad to do it (fellow Therapy? obsessive here, also Irish) as I have a lot of experience producing artwork for CD, vinyl and DVD releases, and I like to think I've got a good idea what I'm doing by now!

PostPosted: Sun April 02, 2017 1:36 pm 
A Return To Form

phantom4000 wrote:
fyfe79 wrote:
I've been collecting Nirvana on and off over the years, but I'm mainly a collector/fanboy for an Irish band called Therapy? and my plan is to compile similar definitive comps. Well, tbh, I've already compiled them (and revised multiple times, as I'm sure you'll understand!) but am looking to create decent artwork in order to "release" them to the Therapy? community (yes, there is one!). Any recommendations for decent cd artwork programs?

If you want help with the artwork, I'd be glad to do it (fellow Therapy? obsessive here, also Irish) as I have a lot of experience producing artwork for CD, vinyl and DVD releases, and I like to think I've got a good idea what I'm doing by now!

Deadly. Small world, eh? Give me a few weeks as I'm busy with college stuff at the moment, but I'll get in touch with tracklists, as I need to go through my stuff again to make sure I've everything and in the right place etc.

Btw, found out recently that the 'classic' Therapy? font, from the Troublegum era, is 'Microgramma D OT Extended' so that would be a good starting point I think for any artwork.

PostPosted: Thu April 20, 2017 8:42 pm 
Lost Cat

fyfe79 wrote:
phantom4000 wrote:
fyfe79 wrote:

Deadly. Small world, eh? Give me a few weeks as I'm busy with college stuff at the moment, but I'll get in touch with tracklists, as I need to go through my stuff again to make sure I've everything and in the right place etc.

Btw, found out recently that the 'classic' Therapy? font, from the Troublegum era, is 'Microgramma D OT Extended' so that would be a good starting point I think for any artwork.

No bother man, just whenever you have time. I know what it's like!

PostPosted: Wed August 30, 2017 1:11 pm 
The worst

Nirvana songs need your help in the Grunge Tournament

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon September 04, 2017 6:46 pm 

In Utero

Milk It
Heart Shaped Box
All Apologies
Pennyroyal Tea
Rape Me
Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge On Seattle
Dumb
Serve the Servants
Tourette's
Scentless Apprentice
Very Ape
Radio Friendly Unit Shifter

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 66  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands