The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 360 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Celebration Rock with Steven Hyden (PJ Audio History)
PostPosted: Mon March 13, 2017 6:58 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I haven't listened to this yet. But it's Part 1 of a 7-part podcast-series where Steve Hyden analyzes the history of Pearl Jam. The first one focuses on Ten and everything leading up to it. It seems promising. But I'll warn you: it's a 1:32 long. Hyden does interview Mark Pellington and some dude from Rolling Stone.

https://audioboom.com/posts/5702220-vit ... -jam-s-ten

If it sucks, don't blame me.

Post subject: Re: A (Lengthy) Audio History/Analysis of this Stupid Band
PostPosted: Mon March 13, 2017 7:06 pm 
The Master

Rose from the ashes

PostPosted: Mon March 13, 2017 7:08 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Strat wrote:
Rose from the ashes

I'd be disappointed to not hear that phrase.

PostPosted: Mon March 13, 2017 7:11 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

so far nothing. just a reference to some guy having a heroin overdose..

PostPosted: Mon March 13, 2017 7:41 pm 
Cool. I will devour this.

PostPosted: Mon March 13, 2017 7:47 pm 
Stone's Bitch

guestT wrote:
Cool. I will devour this.

PostPosted: Mon March 13, 2017 8:21 pm 
Stone's Bitch

http://uproxx.com/music/celebration-rock-pearl-jam-ten/

The Celebration Rock Podcast: Our Seven-Part Series On Pearl Jam Begins By Delving Into ‘Ten’
Quote:
Welcome to The Celebration Rock Podcast, a weekly talk show hosted by Steven Hyden about the past, present, and future of rock music.

Next month, Pearl Jam will be inducted into the Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Fame. To mark this momentous occasion, we’re excited to launch Vitalogy-alogy, our seven-part series on the history of one of America’s biggest and most fascinating bands.

Our purpose is to answer one question: How did Pearl Jam survive? In the early ’90s, Eddie Vedder was the biggest young rock star in the world — in the wake of Ten‘s success, he was even more popular than his erstwhile rival, Kurt Cobain. And it practically happened overnight — when the video for “Jeremy” debuted on MTV in the fall of 1992, sending Ten into the stratosphere, it was barely two years after Pearl Jam’s first rehearsal. The way that Pearl Jam reacted to that sudden fame informs the narrative of the band’s entire career. Decades before they were feted by the Rock Hall, Pearl Jam had to figure out what kind of band they wanted to be as millions of people watched their every move.

For our episode on Ten, we spoke with journalist Brian Hiatt of Rolling Stone, who got to know the band while profiling them for a 2006 cover story and over many subsequent interviews. We also spoke with Mark Pellington, one of the greatest music-video directors ever, about his experience making the iconic video for “Jeremy.”

PostPosted: Mon March 13, 2017 9:16 pm 
The worst

I will probably listen to this someday, but that day would be greatly hastened by someone else listening to this and confirming it is worhtwhile

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon March 13, 2017 9:23 pm 
The Master

Unless the band ever opens up about unheard recordings, Ed's divorce (and impact on music), or new info on the drummer history, I don't expect there's anything new to be found in revisiting their history. The PJ20/Pearl Jam Twenty combo pretty much covered everything else.

PostPosted: Mon March 13, 2017 9:29 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

tragabigzanda wrote:
Unless the band ever opens up about unheard recordings, Ed's divorce (and impact on music), or new info on the drummer history, I don't expect there's anything new to be found in revisiting their history. The PJ20/Pearl Jam Twenty combo pretty much covered everything else.

They did a good job on keeping a lot of inner stories really locked.

PostPosted: Mon March 13, 2017 9:34 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

How did Pearl Jam survive? A guy took over, the other guys said "Well, we've tried for years to get to this point. We're set for life. If we leave now we'll probably get another flake singer. They're all flakes." So they stayed and enjoyed the fruits(and made some good music).

PostPosted: Mon March 13, 2017 9:36 pm 
The Master

rick malone wrote:
How did Pearl Jam survive? A guy took over, the other guys said "Well, we've tried for years to get to this point. We're set for life. If we leave now we'll probably get another flake singer. They're all flakes." So they stayed and enjoyed the fruits(and made some good music).

No disrespect, but I think this is a gross oversimplification. Eddie back in the day was a special dude, and a rare breed in the music world: Incredible pipes, a real passion for the music, a vision for where the band could go, and no major drug or alcohol dependencies. My sense is they had already seen enough of the rock world to know how lucky they were to have him.

PostPosted: Mon March 13, 2017 9:48 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

tragabigzanda wrote:
rick malone wrote:

No disrespect, but I think this is a gross oversimplification. Eddie back in the day was a special dude, and a rare breed in the music world: Incredible pipes, a real passion for the music, a vision for where the band could go, and no major drug or alcohol dependencies. My sense is they had already seen enough of the rock world to know how lucky they were to have him.

Yes oversimplifying but I basically said your last sentence in a different way. They knew lightning probably wouldn't strike twice.

PostPosted: Mon March 13, 2017 9:59 pm 
The Master

rick malone wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
rick malone wrote:

Yes oversimplifying but I basically said your last sentence in a different way. They knew lightning probably wouldn't strike twice.

Ah, sorry. I misunderstood your comment to be painting the bandmembers in a more lazy/opportunistic light.

PostPosted: Mon March 13, 2017 10:03 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I agree with everything's that been said, but they still owe a lot to serendipity. They still get a lot of mileage out of being a part of and helping ushering in a new "sound." They definitely came in at the right time smack dab during a huge inflection point for music.

PostPosted: Mon March 13, 2017 10:12 pm 
The Master

Chris_H_2 wrote:
I agree with everything's that been said, but they still owe a lot to serendipity. They still get a lot of mileage out of being a part of and helping ushering in a new "sound." They definitely came in at the right time smack dab during a huge inflection point for music.

Yep. But I do think it's interesting that MLB, while not really one of my favorite bands, had a sound that was somewhat fresh and different from the popular rock of the day, while the Indian Style stuff sounds like a watered-down RHCP cover band. Ed needed the boys every bit as much as they needed Ed.

PostPosted: Mon March 13, 2017 10:44 pm 
The worst

Bad Radio definitely plays to his Ten era sensibilities, though he obviously upped his game

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon March 13, 2017 11:52 pm 
Rank This Poster

It also didn't hurt that they basically formed and walked into a major label deal almost instantaneously.

PostPosted: Tue March 14, 2017 12:06 am 
The Master

Yea, their A&R guy from Polygram/MLB moved to Epic at just the right time.

PostPosted: Tue March 14, 2017 12:53 am 
what on earth am I talking about

Band always walked in nirvanas shadow and filtered every decision through how Cobain would view it and mock them mercilessly for it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 360 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam