The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 263 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Logan
PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 9:25 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Rangi Guy wrote:
LV has a good point. A movie should be self contained without any prior knowledge of the universe it's set in

i agree if it was a self contained movie and not a sequel etc. i would wager that a majority of people who saw x3, saw x2 who saw x1. when it is part of a contained universe there is a reasonable expectation that the user will have some previous knowledge.

PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 9:26 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

But you're talking about stuff from the comics, not stuff from other movies.

PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 10:00 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

theplatypus wrote:
But you're talking about stuff from the comics, not stuff from other movies.

all the comic movies (not origin stories) to date take bits and pieces of stories that have been well received by the comics counterpart

civil war
winter soldier
age of ultron
x2
x3
first class
DoFP
AoA

for the most part they have to be changed and be vague about something simply due to the fact that they dont have the rights to the characters needed to fully flesh out the story or the fact that a movie is 2-2.5 hours long and comic arcs can be made up of a few years of stories. so some movies have to gloss over some things that some people may just accept or others can say, oh, thats because in the comics so and so did such and such. you dont need to know EXACTLY what happened, just that something did happen

but its vague because of the comics (what part of the story is taken from). fox doesnt have the rights to include the back story, that the reason logan drove across the country was to help clint, which would pay him money, to get the hulks off his ass. instead of showing that the heroes finally got their shit together and attacked the heroes to and took over the world, they made a vague reference to the xmen passing (stop being whatever). you dont need to know the specific reason for the story to move on. they left it vague (IMO) as i said so as to not sully your perception of either charles or logan.

its explained that the antagonist for the most part is behind the lack of mutants and has set up trying to create new mutants as weapons.

yes, some of it is vague but by no means did it hurt or mute the tone of the story

PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 10:08 pm 
The Master

I really don't think you're getting what people are saying here.

PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 10:35 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

I liked it. Put up against the deadpool trailer for that new film where it's referenced a number of times shows an odd train of thought. Deadpool was great but they're going for the same quip laden jock jokes? Again? Seriously? Hope it's a misdirect. These two films and franchises are nothing alike apart from fanbois wanting to see wolverine and deadpool on screen together.

Stewart was brilliant here. As was jackman. Storytelling drops the ball a few times but it's the best comic book movie they've come up with.

PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 11:50 pm 
AnalLog

http://comicbook.com/2017/03/05/logan-t ... es-xavier/

That's why its vague... nothing to do with the comics, or previous movies or knowledge... pretty much how I guessed it.

PostPosted: Mon March 06, 2017 12:04 am 
The Master

MadTIGERmaN wrote:
http://comicbook.com/2017/03/05/logan-the-westchester-incident-chales-xavier/

That's why its vague... nothing to do with the comics, or previous movies or knowledge... pretty much how I guessed it.

I think I probably mislead with my original post. Like I said, the specific event being vague isn't really the issue for me. I like what Mangold said: "I wanted to make a movie less about information and more about character." But my problem is just that: some of the nuance of who Logan is as a character in this world feels a little undeveloped. Clearly he feels the need to hide from something. Clearly he is tired of everything. But the missing element for me is WHY Logan feels so exhausted and miserable. Understanding that could, I think, make his relationship with Xavier and Laura much more impactful. As it is, his prima facie I'm sick of everything demeanor doesn't mean much to me, and I don't think it even makes all that much sense coming after the previous X movies.

PostPosted: Mon March 06, 2017 12:35 am 
The Master

guys, just because the preview had hurt playing over it doesn't mean this movie is deep enough to analyze to this degree.

PostPosted: Mon March 06, 2017 12:40 am 
The Master

PostPosted: Mon March 06, 2017 12:45 am 
The Master

exactly.

PostPosted: Mon March 06, 2017 4:07 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Im fine with the information we got from the movie....even i read Old Man Logan, they handled everything pretty good. I dont need to know what happened, or why Logan is that way more than they are telling me. Actually, i thought it was refreshing to know little, in this moment were movies explain themselves too much or are being serialized.

Spoiler: show
I loved that the one who killed every x men was xavier in the movie. Good choice.

PostPosted: Tue March 07, 2017 9:46 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I liked it. Felt like it ran out of ideas about halfway through but it was fine. The first third or so was awesome!

The lack of backstory or whatever was a plus to me, I didn't feel like it was missing anything.

Capt Picard and Jackman were really good. The girl, too.

The farm stuff was lame but, woah, Eric LaSalle sighting. Where has that guy been?

The clone was a little weird.

B

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed March 08, 2017 5:50 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I will say one thing I think is lacking in this movie is context for the world in which it's set. There are all these passing references to mutants being nearly wiped out, and one toward the end about Richard E. Grant being the one who did it, but none of that is ever illustrated. It was very vague, which made Logan and Xavier's exhaustion and desperation a bit formless and unearned.

They did tease it a bit here

PostPosted: Thu March 09, 2017 8:23 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I loved this movie

PostPosted: Fri March 10, 2017 12:37 am 
AnalLog

I've seen it 3 times now (gotta love $5 Tuesdays) it stood up each watching.

the ONLY thing I might have changed, is having the black family live. It was such a good moment and night... it just seemed like they needed a bunch of random good people / humans, for
X-24 to kill.

and I totally agree Vinyl guy about Xavier in your spoiler, 100%
and, I love that
we don't really even know if Xavier did it? or if he made Wolverine do it like in the comics. near the beginning Xavier says to Logan "what did YOU do" so its possible, Logan did the killing because of Xavier? or Xavier did the killing, no one really knows since they didn't show it. The only thing that was a lil dumb, was on the radio in the car at one point "the incident in Westchester a year ago where 600 people and seven mutants died, including several of the X-men. So there was only 7 mutants left already? should have just said 600 people died including most of the X-men or mutants. don't put a number on it, but that's really nitpicking

PostPosted: Fri March 10, 2017 1:07 am 
jeeeesus relax already

MadTIGERmaN wrote:
I've seen it 3 times now (gotta love $5 Tuesdays) it stood up each watching.

the ONLY thing I might have changed, is having the black family live. It was such a good moment and night... it just seemed like they needed a bunch of random good people / humans, for
X-24 to kill.

and I totally agree Vinyl guy about Xavier in your spoiler, 100%
and, I love that
we don't really even know if Xavier did it? or if he made Wolverine do it like in the comics. near the beginning Xavier says to Logan "what did YOU do" so its possible, Logan did the killing because of Xavier? or Xavier did the killing, no one really knows since they didn't show it. The only thing that was a lil dumb, was on the radio in the car at one point "the incident in Westchester a year ago where 600 people and seven mutants died, including several of the X-men. So there was only 7 mutants left already? should have just said 600 people died including most of the X-men or mutants. don't put a number on it, but that's really nitpicking

i loved the black family died...it was gruesome and violent and i specially loved how the father died. The best thing this movie has is that is not taking anything for granted. Everyone dies.

PostPosted: Fri March 10, 2017 1:09 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

They were just so darn saintly and perfect. I was glad they died.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri March 10, 2017 8:11 pm 
AnalLog

BurtReynolds wrote:
They were just so darn saintly and perfect. I was glad they died.

Which is I think why, I wouldn't minded them living? It was too obvious they were going to die lol

PostPosted: Fri March 10, 2017 8:15 pm 
The Master

Logan Airport is the worst. Awful traffic, shitty food, and that's where the 9/11 hijackers departed from.

PostPosted: Fri March 10, 2017 8:22 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
Logan Airport is the worst. Awful traffic, shitty food, and that's where the 9/11 hijackers departed from.

LaGuardia is the worst. Logan is not far behind.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 263 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment