The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Anti-Trump fascists attack in Berkeley
PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 3:19 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

http://ijr.com/2017/03/817178-berkeley- ... t=Politics

Post subject: Re: Anti-Trump fascists attack in Berkeley
PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 3:23 pm 
The Master

You really don't need to be starting a new thread for every story you find

PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 3:34 pm 

PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 3:37 pm 

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
You really don't need to be starting a new thread for every story you find

Don't be a thread fascist.

PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 3:46 pm 
Rank This Poster

PHATJ wrote:
Political parties are inherently partisan. Each side claims the issues are blatantly obvious. From a detached, civilian perspective I've seen both parties unsuccessfully chase conspiracy theories that they would have bet the house on, only to have it blow up in their face. I'm not as eager as you to claim that what I think I know is pure fact.

PHATJ wrote:
It may SEEM that way to you because you let your bias color my opinions before you actually know them. Kinda like how I assumed you'd be more forgiving of unbecoming behavior by left than the right. Maybe we were both wrong here, maybe not. And I am more supportive of the administration. It seems that anyone that isn't calling for impeachment is more supportive than I am guessing you are. Again, maybe I shouldn't assume...

PHATJ wrote:
If it doesn't fit your world view, or your false narrative, just ignore it, right?

Hm.

PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 3:49 pm 
The Master

I'm pretty much ready for violence at this point, so meh

PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 3:50 pm 

digster wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
Political parties are inherently partisan. Each side claims the issues are blatantly obvious. From a detached, civilian perspective I've seen both parties unsuccessfully chase conspiracy theories that they would have bet the house on, only to have it blow up in their face. I'm not as eager as you to claim that what I think I know is pure fact.

PHATJ wrote:
It may SEEM that way to you because you let your bias color my opinions before you actually know them. Kinda like how I assumed you'd be more forgiving of unbecoming behavior by left than the right. Maybe we were both wrong here, maybe not. And I am more supportive of the administration. It seems that anyone that isn't calling for impeachment is more supportive than I am guessing you are. Again, maybe I shouldn't assume...

PHATJ wrote:
If it doesn't fit your world view, or your false narrative, just ignore it, right?

Hm.

Look at the evidence. What happened in Berkeley yesterday has nothing to do with my biases.

PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 4:13 pm 
Rank This Poster

Not to go down the rabbit hole, but in the past few days basically you've been giving us "the truth" that refuse to permeate our biases from, as far as I can tell, places like The Daily Caller, Daily Wire and the Independent Journal Review, with some additional reporting from Breitbart thrown in for good measure. Now maybe you read a ton of stuff and this is just what you've been posting, but these sites are in large part aimed at offering stories and incidents that fold succinctly into the narratives they already have about the world. That's what they're built for, and I would bet the owners of those sites would be upfront about that approach.

I'm as guilty as anyone in terms of letting biases formed over time, perspective and experience color my view of unfolding stories. It's part of being human and social media pumps that tendency with steroids. I'm just saying maybe to pump the brakes on claiming you have such a "detached perspective" and calling people out on letting their "biases color their opinions" when that's the case.

PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 4:30 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 5:51 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

It looks like both sides were fighting, but the IJR found a few Trump supporters that lost their fights.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states ... n-berkeley

Still ... :shake: ... Berkeley, you're not helping.

PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 6:05 pm 

digster wrote:
Not to go down the rabbit hole, but in the past few days basically you've been giving us "the truth" that refuse to permeate our biases from, as far as I can tell, places like The Daily Caller, Daily Wire and the Independent Journal Review, with some additional reporting from Breitbart thrown in for good measure. Now maybe you read a ton of stuff and this is just what you've been posting, but these sites are in large part aimed at offering stories and incidents that fold succinctly into the narratives they already have about the world. That's what they're built for, and I would bet the owners of those sites would be upfront about that approach.

I'm as guilty as anyone in terms of letting biases formed over time, perspective and experience color my view of unfolding stories. It's part of being human and social media pumps that tendency with steroids. I'm just saying maybe to pump the brakes on claiming you have such a "detached perspective" and calling people out on letting their "biases color their opinions" when that's the case.

Hey digster, thanks for the comment. I appreciate it and your honesty. I do read a lot of different sites and I do try to get as many perspectives as possible. That being said, this forum is very liberal in nature (which makes sense, it is a PJ based group), and my main goal with my recent post here is to give a perspective that isn't already readily available here.

The anti free speech movement that much of the left has seemingly embraced feels incredibly dangerous to me, And it flies directly in the face of classic liberalism (which I actually support in many ways). The second part that I find utterly mind boggling is that the left continues to propagandize the right at violent, when in the vast majority of these situations over the past several months it has obviously been the left that has been violent. The hypocrisy is stunning. This violent antifa group is the clearest example of hypocrisy. They claim to hate fascism, yet are violent, anti free speech, instigators. There actions seem to parallel those of true fascists.

PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 8:35 pm 
Rank This Poster

I really don't care how civilians are reacting to the Trump administration and I don't think it really matters much. What matters is what the administration is doing. What reason is there to report these kind of stories here? To try and show us we're all wrong about Trump because some people are rioting and have become violent? All reason and logic is wrong because some anti-Trump people did some bad things? The actions of these people does not negate the stupidity of the Trump administration.

PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 8:38 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

It's fine to report on it, just a new thread for every new thing seems like overkill

Make a catch-all thread and title it "THE SO-CALLED TOLERANT LEFT" or something stupid like that, and just bump it with each new instance

PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 8:46 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

theplatypus wrote:
It's fine to report on it, just a new thread for every new thing seems like overkill

Make a catch-all thread and title it "THE SO-CALLED TOLERANT LEFT" or something stupid like that, and just bump it with each new instance

Or call it "ITT: burt, bi_3, and PHATJ cum again, and again, and again"

PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 9:20 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Tue March 07, 2023 3:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 10:04 pm 
Future Drummer

PhatJ, you do realize that two Indian men were shot and killed in a xenophobic attack only a few days ago, right? I haven't seen anyone really talk about it.

PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 10:25 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Tue March 07, 2023 3:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 10:28 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Bad (or Sikh) guy!

PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 11:16 pm 

theplatypus wrote:

I have no problem with this but FYI, I've started TWO threads in the News & Debate forum in my 13 or 14 years on RM.

PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 11:18 pm 

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Mon March 06, 2023 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate