The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114 ... 1306  Next
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Fri February 17, 2017 3:33 pm 
Major Dude

Fuck, I want Trump to respond in pure Trump fashion.

PostPosted: Fri February 17, 2017 3:38 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

McParadigm wrote:

:lol:

My how the cuck's have turned, Mr Bond!

PostPosted: Fri February 17, 2017 3:42 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

The AP wrote:
The Trump administration is considering a proposal to mobilize as many as 100,000 National Guard troops to round up unauthorized immigrants, including millions living nowhere near the Mexico border, according to a draft memo obtained by The Associated Press.

The 11-page document calls for the unprecedented militarization of immigration enforcement as far north as Portland, Oregon, and as far east as New Orleans, Louisiana.

Requests to the White House and the Department of Homeland Security for comment and a status report on the proposal were not answered.

The draft document has circulated among DHS staff over the last two weeks. As recently as Friday, staffers in several different offices reported discussions were underway.

If implemented, the impact could be significant. Nearly one-half of the 11.1 million people residing in the U.S. without authorization live in the 11 states, according to Pew Research Center estimates based on 2014 Census data.

PostPosted: Fri February 17, 2017 3:44 pm 
Rank This Poster

Solid power pose, Mike.

PostPosted: Fri February 17, 2017 3:46 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

digster wrote:

Solid power pose, Mike.

Something about him fairly screams "cartoon mouse" at me.

PostPosted: Fri February 17, 2017 3:50 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Bi_3 wrote:
Glenn Greenwald wrote:
The deep state, although there’s no precise or scientific definition, generally refers to the agencies in Washington that are permanent power factions. They stay and exercise power even as presidents who are elected come and go. They typically exercise their power in secret, in the dark, and so they’re barely subject to democratic accountability, if they’re subject to it at all. It’s agencies like the CIA, the NSA and the other intelligence agencies, that are essentially designed to disseminate disinformation and deceit and propaganda, and have a long history of doing not only that, but also have a long history of the world’s worst war crimes, atrocities and death squads. This is who not just people like Bill Kristol, but lots of Democrats are placing their faith in, are trying to empower, are cheering for as they exert power separate and apart from—in fact, in opposition to—the political officials to whom they’re supposed to be subordinate.

And you go—this is not just about Russia. You go all the way back to the campaign, and what you saw was that leading members of the intelligence community, including Mike Morell, who was the acting CIA chief under President Obama, and Michael Hayden, who ran both the CIA and the NSA under George W. Bush, were very outspoken supporters of Hillary Clinton. In fact, Michael Morell went to The New York Times, and Michael Hayden went to The Washington Post, during the campaign to praise Hillary Clinton and to say that Donald Trump had become a recruit of Russia. The CIA and the intelligence community were vehemently in support of Clinton and vehemently opposed to Trump, from the beginning. And the reason was, was because they liked Hillary Clinton’s policies better than they liked Donald Trump’s. One of the main priorities of the CIA for the last five years has been a proxy war in Syria, designed to achieve regime change with the Assad regime. Hillary Clinton was not only for that, she was critical of Obama for not allowing it to go further, and wanted to impose a no-fly zone in Syria and confront the Russians. Donald Trump took exactly the opposite view. He said we shouldn’t care who rules Syria; we should allow the Russians, and even help the Russians, kill ISIS and al-Qaeda and other people in Syria. So, Trump’s agenda that he ran on was completely antithetical to what the CIA wanted. Clinton’s was exactly what the CIA wanted, and so they were behind her. And so, they’ve been trying to undermine Trump for many months throughout the election. And now that he won, they are not just undermining him with leaks, but actively subverting him. There’s claims that they’re withholding information from him, on the grounds that they don’t think he should have it and can be trusted with it. They are empowering themselves to enact policy.

Now, I happen to think that the Trump presidency is extremely dangerous.

And it is important to resist them. And there are lots of really great ways to resist them, such as getting courts to restrain them, citizen activism and, most important of all, having the Democratic Party engage in self-critique to ask itself how it can be a more effective political force in the United States after it has collapsed on all levels. That isn’t what this resistance is now doing. What they’re doing instead is trying to take maybe the only faction worse than Donald Trump, which is the deep state, the CIA, with its histories of atrocities, and say they ought to almost engage in like a soft coup, where they take the elected president and prevent him from enacting his policies. And I think it is extremely dangerous to do that. Even if you’re somebody who believes that both the CIA and the deep state, on the one hand, and the Trump presidency, on the other, are extremely dangerous, as I do, there’s a huge difference between the two, which is that Trump was democratically elected and is subject to democratic controls, as these courts just demonstrated and as the media is showing, as citizens are proving. But on the other hand, the CIA was elected by nobody. They’re barely subject to democratic controls at all. And so, to urge that the CIA and the intelligence community empower itself to undermine the elected branches of government is insanity. That is a prescription for destroying democracy overnight in the name of saving it. And yet that’s what so many, not just neocons, but the neocons’ allies in the Democratic Party, are now urging and cheering. And it’s incredibly warped and dangerous to watch them do that.

The idea that Donald Trump is some kind of an agent or a spy of Russia, or that he is being blackmailed by Russia and is going to pass secret information to the Kremlin and endanger American agents on purpose, is an incredibly crazy claim that has been nowhere proven to be true. It reminds me of the kind of things Glenn Beck used to say about Obama while he stood at his chalkboard and drew those—those unstable charts that he drew, these wild conspiracy theories that are without evidence.

We ought to have a serious, sober, structured investigation of the claims that Russia hacked the DNC and John Podesta’s emails and that there were improper ties between Donald Trump and the Russians, and that ought to be made public so that we can see the information. But this constant media obsession of leaking whatever someone whispers to them about Donald Trump and Russia, because they know it will get their reporters huge numbers of retweets on Twitter and tons of traffic by people who are being fed what they want to hear, is really feeding into the worst kind of hysteria and even fake news that the media says they’re trying to combat. These are really serious claims that merit serious investigation, and that’s exactly what we’re not getting.

A rebuttal:
Quote:
I would never describe myself as someone who's rooting for the deep state. In fact, like most people who have any ounce of respect for democracy, I've always felt pretty terrified of the U.S. intelligence organizations and the brutal, unaccountable power they wield. Their primary influence throughout history has been to subvert democracy around the world any time the mood strikes them. But I have to admit...I take a certain pleasure in watching them devour one of their own.

No one has done more to "empower" the deep state than Republicans. That party has built their entire brand around fear-mongering propaganda, and that has in turn been used as justification for building up the monstrous U.S. intelligence apparatus. Whether it was red scare bullshit or xenophobia against Islam, Republicans have always been 100% a-okay with watching the CIA and NSA undermine democracy around the world and commit any number of horrendous crimes against humanity. So there's a sweet, dark irony to this moment. They helped build this fucking monster for decades, but NOW all of a sudden they care about respecting democracy and holding the deep state accountable? Fuck them. You reap what you sow. Political writers on the left have been critical of the deep state for years, and now all of the sudden I'm reading these morons on r/the_Donald acting so concerned about it, as if they would have EVER cared about this issue if it were anyone else. They cheered when their daddy was talking about "bringing back waterboarding and worse," but now they're so worried about reigning in the creepy power of the CIA? lol, gimme a break.

So I'm not enjoying this because I think for one second that the intelligence community are a bunch of heroes. They're scum of the earth, as far as I'm concerned. I'm enjoying this because it's fascinating to watch one evil entity turning against another evil entity.

PostPosted: Fri February 17, 2017 4:00 pm 
The Master

digster wrote:

Solid power pose, Mike.

my god those suits are atrocious

PostPosted: Fri February 17, 2017 4:01 pm 
Rank This Poster

bune wrote:
A rebuttal:
Quote:
I would never describe myself as someone who's rooting for the deep state. In fact, like most people who have any ounce of respect for democracy, I've always felt pretty terrified of the U.S. intelligence organizations and the brutal, unaccountable power they wield. Their primary influence throughout history has been to subvert democracy around the world any time the mood strikes them. But I have to admit...I take a certain pleasure in watching them devour one of their own.

No one has done more to "empower" the deep state than Republicans. That party has built their entire brand around fear-mongering propaganda, and that has in turn been used as justification for building up the monstrous U.S. intelligence apparatus. Whether it was red scare bullshit or xenophobia against Islam, Republicans have always been 100% a-okay with watching the CIA and NSA undermine democracy around the world and commit any number of horrendous crimes against humanity. So there's a sweet, dark irony to this moment. They helped build this fucking monster for decades, but NOW all of a sudden they care about respecting democracy and holding the deep state accountable? Fuck them. You reap what you sow. Political writers on the left have been critical of the deep state for years, and now all of the sudden I'm reading these morons on r/the_Donald acting so concerned about it, as if they would have EVER cared about this issue if it were anyone else. They cheered when their daddy was talking about "bringing back waterboarding and worse," but now they're so worried about reigning in the creepy power of the CIA? lol, gimme a break.

So I'm not enjoying this because I think for one second that the intelligence community are a bunch of heroes. They're scum of the earth, as far as I'm concerned. I'm enjoying this because it's fascinating to watch one evil entity turning against another evil entity.

I think if someone ends up on the side of being against leaks that expose criminality or dishonesty on the part of elected officials, they've taken a wrong turn somewhere. WikiLeaks, for example, seems very concerned with the 'motivation' of the leakers, which considering their history is fairly funny. Not every leaker is a Mark Felt or a Snowden, doing it solely for God and country. Many leakers have motivations or agendas; does that mean they shouldn't leak or people shouldn't report what they leaked. Whoever leaked on Clinton during the campaign obviously had an agenda; I doubt Greenwald thinks the proper response would have been to just ignore those leaks wholesale because the leaker has a selfish motivation.

And it's for the best; the longer the intelligence community and Trump are at loggerheads the longer it takes Trump to realize that they're kind of peas in a pod.

Last edited by digster on Fri February 17, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri February 17, 2017 4:05 pm 
Major Dude

McParadigm wrote:
The AP wrote:
The Trump administration is considering a proposal to mobilize as many as 100,000 National Guard troops to round up unauthorized immigrants, including millions living nowhere near the Mexico border, according to a draft memo obtained by The Associated Press.

The 11-page document calls for the unprecedented militarization of immigration enforcement as far north as Portland, Oregon, and as far east as New Orleans, Louisiana.

Requests to the White House and the Department of Homeland Security for comment and a status report on the proposal were not answered.

The draft document has circulated among DHS staff over the last two weeks. As recently as Friday, staffers in several different offices reported discussions were underway.

If implemented, the impact could be significant. Nearly one-half of the 11.1 million people residing in the U.S. without authorization live in the 11 states, according to Pew Research Center estimates based on 2014 Census data.

So, he's really gonna mobilize the SS, huh?

PostPosted: Fri February 17, 2017 4:12 pm 
Site Admin

digster wrote:

Solid power pose, Mike.
Almost perfect for this:

PostPosted: Fri February 17, 2017 5:16 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

wease wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
The AP wrote:

So, he's really gonna mobilize the SS, huh?

Sounds like this might get retracted soon.

PostPosted: Fri February 17, 2017 5:21 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

bune wrote:
A rebuttal:
Quote:

This is both not the point the Greenwald, Lake, and others were making but also pretty fucking stupid.

PostPosted: Fri February 17, 2017 6:15 pm 
Site Admin

Sad!

PostPosted: Fri February 17, 2017 6:34 pm 
Future Drummer

Green Habit wrote:
Sad!

Since a large faction of dumbass Trump supporters were basically scammed into voting for him, it's not surprising at all to see such a sharp change in approval now that the smoke has cleared.

PostPosted: Fri February 17, 2017 6:42 pm 
The Master

A guy called into OnPoint this morning and said that Trump was "really giving sticking it to the media." He went on to say that a lot of Trump supporters have felt disregarded by the media for a long time, and so it was therefore great to see how Trump was treating the media now. Tom Ashbrook's panel tried to explain that disregarding factual evidence to create his own narrative isn't really "sticking it to the media," but the caller just wasn't having it. So I guess there are people who are just angry and enjoy seeing their President behave in an irrational way?

PostPosted: Fri February 17, 2017 6:50 pm 
Major Dude

tragabigzanda wrote:
A guy called into OnPoint this morning and said that Trump was "really giving sticking it to the media." He went on to say that a lot of Trump supporters have felt disregarded by the media for a long time, and so it was therefore great to see how Trump was treating the media now. Tom Ashbrook's panel tried to explain that disregarding factual evidence to create his own narrative isn't really "sticking it to the media," but the caller just wasn't having it. So I guess there are people who are just angry and enjoy seeing their President behave in an irrational way?

I encounter this every day.

PostPosted: Fri February 17, 2017 6:59 pm 
The Master

wease wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

This was guy was a southerner, now that you mention it.

PostPosted: Fri February 17, 2017 7:03 pm 
Major Dude

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/arti ... nt-roundup

PostPosted: Fri February 17, 2017 7:04 pm 
Major Dude

tragabigzanda wrote:
wease wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

This was guy was a southerner, now that you mention it.

It's like he has created an alternate reality that all these people believe in 100%.

My area is the Bizarro World.

PostPosted: Fri February 17, 2017 7:11 pm 
The Master

Pruitt confirmed as EPA head, just before he has to release his correspondence with leaders of the fossil fuel industry (a court order gives him a deadline of next Tuesday for this). What a fucking joke.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114 ... 1306  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate