The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Black Mirror on Channel 4
PostPosted: Fri November 25, 2016 3:28 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

theplatypus wrote:
ABNorman wrote:
I'm up to San Junipero - first episode was AWFUL, 2 and 3 were OK, San Junipero was wonderful, so a pretty mediocre season so far.

It was the weakest season by far, but I also feel like sometimes Black Mirror doesn't know where to go with the premises. It builds up this nightmarish scenario and then it just sits there. Episode 5 of this season is a great example of this. Interesting premise (if heavy-handed), then plateaus early and resolves in the lamest way. Episode 1 of season 2, same thing.

I think watching season 3 and seeing all of its weaknesses laid out so clearly (obvious and heavy-handed social commentary, mostly staid and ordinary visuals, narrative limpness, weak resolutions) has made me think less of the 2 previous seasons.

Also: even the title of the show is kind of an eyeroll. It's called Black Mirror because that's what you're looking at when your phone is turned off. It's a black mirror. C'mon.

PostPosted: Fri November 25, 2016 3:31 pm 
The Master

What a boring answer, Jorg. You're a way better trickster than you are a straight man.

PostPosted: Fri November 25, 2016 5:06 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

theplatypus wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
ABNorman wrote:
I'm up to San Junipero - first episode was AWFUL, 2 and 3 were OK, San Junipero was wonderful, so a pretty mediocre season so far.

It was the weakest season by far, but I also feel like sometimes Black Mirror doesn't know where to go with the premises. It builds up this nightmarish scenario and then it just sits there. Episode 5 of this season is a great example of this. Interesting premise (if heavy-handed), then plateaus early and resolves in the lamest way. Episode 1 of season 2, same thing.

I think watching season 3 and seeing all of its weaknesses laid out so clearly (obvious and heavy-handed social commentary, mostly staid and ordinary visuals, narrative limpness, weak resolutions) has made me think less of the 2 previous seasons.

Also: even the title of the show is kind of an eyeroll. It's called Black Mirror because that's what you're looking at when your phone is turned off. It's a black mirror. C'mon.

A little hokie I suppose, but given the show's primary target (how we as a species are rejecting our natural humanity in favor of technological replacements ), the idea of using this imagery of seeing only a shadow of yourself because your bridge to this more desirable world is off is understandable as a title to envoke a commonality in the stories.

PostPosted: Fri November 25, 2016 8:30 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Juniper was pretty good. I seem to like the more "out there" ones. The simpler ones aren't very interesting.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu December 01, 2016 1:59 pm 
The Master

So at least one episode's premise has come true:

http://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2016/12/01/ ... ial-credit

PostPosted: Thu December 01, 2016 4:51 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

"Men Against Fire": Possibly the worst episode of the series... bad acting, directing, and a borrowed plot.

PostPosted: Wed December 21, 2016 1:03 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I thought the roach and bee ones were ok. Men Against Fire gives it's gimmick away too soon, and I've already seen the plot in a recent short, but the last twist was ok.

I think I'd forgive the show's faults if they were shorter. They're too long for these skimpy plots. Must be a British thing.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed January 18, 2017 3:15 am 
Rank This Poster

Just watched ep 1. He fucked a goddam pig. This made me laugh. Remember when it was controversial for multiracial couples on tv? Our lifetimes. He fucked a goddam pig.

PostPosted: Wed January 25, 2017 3:47 am 
Rank This Poster

Man, episode 3 was fucked up. Seeing Broadchurch's Jodi Whitaker made me so happy, but then....I was left wondering, would life be better or worse if she cheated on me? It would blow to be cuckolded but, on the other hand, it means I would have been banging her.

PostPosted: Thu February 16, 2017 3:09 am 
Looks Like a Cat

http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/15/technology/bee-drone-pollination/index.html

PostPosted: Fri February 24, 2017 7:31 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

So I finally decided to give this show a spin last night after sitting in my watchlist forever. Watched the first episode about the pig.

This show has a 5 star average rating on Netflix? That was a super boring, predictable, and kinda lame story line.

It's like Marilyn Manson went to film school and tried to SHOCK EVERYONE.

PostPosted: Fri February 24, 2017 7:38 pm 
The Master

bodysnatcher wrote:
So I finally decided to give this show a spin last night after sitting in my watchlist forever. Watched the first episode about the pig.

This show has a 5 star average rating on Netflix? That was a super boring, predictable, and kinda lame story line.

The quality is all over the place. Try "The Entire History of You" or "San Junipero" for a couple that are universally acclaimed. And then "Playtest" is a personal favorite about video games.

PostPosted: Fri February 24, 2017 8:07 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

tragabigzanda wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

The quality is all over the place. Try "The Entire History of You" or "San Junipero" for a couple that are universally acclaimed. And then "Playtest" is a personal favorite about video games.

The second episode "15 Million Merits" is pretty great as well.

PostPosted: Fri February 24, 2017 8:13 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I really need to watch the Netflix episodes, but my wife hates this kind of entertainment (tried to watch "Be Right Back" with her and had to turn it off only a couple minutes in).

EDIT: And I'm one of the weirdo's who actually kind of liked the Waldo episode. :? Loved "White Bear".

Last edited by bune on Fri February 24, 2017 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri February 24, 2017 8:15 pm 
The Master

Bi_3 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

Yea, I enjoyed that one.

PostPosted: Fri February 24, 2017 9:08 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

tragabigzanda wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

Yea, I enjoyed that one.

haha damn, i was just chatting with my buddy and he said he's tried 3 times to get through that episode, but he just does anything else that he can think of

PostPosted: Fri February 24, 2017 9:14 pm 
The Master

bodysnatcher wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

Yea, I enjoyed that one.

haha damn, i was just chatting with my buddy and he said he's tried 3 times to get through that episode, but he just does anything else that he can think of

It sort of spoon-feeds you the story, but I have to admit it's lingered with me while others have faded.

PostPosted: Sat February 25, 2017 12:21 am 
Looks Like a Cat

The pay is big, and Bing's speech works on many levels. Fuck, it's more relevant today in America than when it was written in the U.K.

PostPosted: Sat February 25, 2017 12:39 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

bodysnatcher wrote:

man, the more this episode sets in 12 hours later, the more and more i hate it

PostPosted: Sat February 25, 2017 1:03 am 
The Master

bodysnatcher wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

man, the more this episode sets in 12 hours later, the more and more i hate it

Imbibe your favorite imbibable and watch one of the other ones tonight. I promise there are some great eps (assuming you're a sci-fi fan).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment