The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Home Theater Discussion
PostPosted: Sun January 15, 2017 11:44 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Life is precious.

PostPosted: Mon January 16, 2017 7:16 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Got word back that I can drop my reciever back to where I bought it and they'll still fix it for free. Still - it's going to be a few weeks of listening to movies through the TV speakers

PostPosted: Tue January 17, 2017 3:02 pm 
AnalLog

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
I know. But who can afford anything else? Also, how does anybody hook anything up?

It's not that expensive, really? And I LOVE hooking up home theater equipment. Just invite me over and I'll do it.

By the way, here's my setup:

Very nice, dude. I have the KS8000 now and love it now that I've finally got the picture configured the way I want it, but still stuck with the TV speakers for now until I find a decent/functioning soundbar. I was going to invest in the Bose Soundtouch 300 but have seen all over the net that there's some pretty significant software compatibility issues between the soundtouch and the Samsung KS TVs. I also have a PS4 Pro hooked up to mine.

PostPosted: Tue January 17, 2017 3:13 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

In my bedroom I have a 55" LG TV hooked up to an old laptop that I use as a blu ray player, and some Samsung (?) surround sound system thing. I have a 42" TV in my living room that is only really used when we have company over. Don't really know the model names. And I don't play videogames

My dad just bought this monstruous 70" 4k TV for his bedroom that he hasn't hooked up yet. I think it's kind of excessive

PostPosted: Tue January 17, 2017 3:21 pm 
The Master

Revelator wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
I know. But who can afford anything else? Also, how does anybody hook anything up?

It's not that expensive, really? And I LOVE hooking up home theater equipment. Just invite me over and I'll do it.

Very nice, dude. I have the KS8000 now and love it now that I've finally got the picture configured the way I want it, but still stuck with the TV speakers for now until I find a decent/functioning soundbar. I was going to invest in the Bose Soundtouch 300 but have seen all over the net that there's some pretty significant software compatibility issues between the soundtouch and the Samsung KS TVs. I also have a PS4 Pro hooked up to mine.

It is indeed the KS8500, but it's not the Bose. I have the Samsung HW-J7500R Soundbar.

PostPosted: Tue January 17, 2017 3:21 pm 
The Master

theplatypus wrote:
In my bedroom I have a 55" LG TV hooked up to an old laptop that I use as a blu ray player, and some Samsung (?) surround sound system thing. I have a 42" TV in my living room that is only really used when we have company over. Don't really know the model names. And I don't play videogames

My dad just bought this monstruous 70" 4k TV for his bedroom that he hasn't hooked up yet. I think it's kind of excessive

lol what a noob

PostPosted: Tue January 17, 2017 3:24 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I am glad you have one thing that brings you joy

PostPosted: Tue January 17, 2017 3:33 pm 
The Master

Revelator wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Do you like your PS4 Pro? I'm debating with myself if it is worth the upgrade.

PostPosted: Tue January 17, 2017 5:18 pm 
AnalLog

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Revelator wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I can't say that I'm a huge gamer, maybe an hour or two a week if I'm lucky anymore, but I can definitely tell a bit of a performance upgrade in graphical output and frame rate. I've mainly playing the new Tomb Raider game which looks fantastic. I've heard Uncharted 4 looks even better in UHD but I had already beat it on the old PS4 (that game is worth playing again though so I probably will). In all honesty, if you're not a huge gamer it's probably not critical that you upgrade right now. I got a great trade-in deal on Amazon and had some spare cash at Xmas so I said fuck it and upgraded (got a good black friday deal on the Pro, too). I mainly wanted to future proof my machine in anticipation of the new Red Dead and Last of Us. Having the ability to stream 4K content on Netflix is pretty sweet too. I'm still absolutely dumbfounded that Sony didn't incorporate a 4k player though. I know it would have increased production costs, but by and large I think the PS fanbase would have still paid the difference.

Last edited by Revelator on Tue January 17, 2017 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue January 17, 2017 5:21 pm 
The Beef

Would I really be bothered by 1080 vs 4K on a 50 inch or so screen in a normal-sized room?

PostPosted: Tue January 17, 2017 5:22 pm 
The Master

Revelator wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Revelator wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I can't say that I'm a huge gamer, maybe an hour or two a week if I'm lucky anymore, but I can definitely tell a bit of a performance upgrade in graphical output and frame rate. I've mainly playing the new Tomb Raider game which looks fantastic. I've heard Uncharted 4 looks even better in UHD but I had already beat it on the old PS4 (that game is worth playing again though so I probably will). In all honesty, if you're not a huge gamer it's probably not critical that you upgrade right now. I got a great trade-in deal on Amazon and had some spare cash at Xmas so I said fuck it and upgraded (got a good black friday deal on the Pro, too). I mainly wanted to future proof my machine in anticipation of the new Red Dead and Last of Us. Having the ability to stream 4K content on Netflix is pretty sweet too. I'm still absolutely dumbfounded that they didn't incorporate a 4k player though. I know it would have increased production costs, but by and large I think the PS fanbase would have still paid the difference.

Yeah, the lack of a 4K BD player is baffling, and is the only reason I didn't buy one. I bought the Xbox One S instead and I hate it.

PostPosted: Tue January 17, 2017 5:23 pm 
The Master

ABNorman wrote:
Would I really be bothered by 1080 vs 4K on a 50 inch or so screen in a normal-sized room?

50" is a decent size. I think it'd definitely be noticeable. But it's not just the resolution that makes the upgrade: it's the high dynamic range lighting and the wider color gamut. It really is a wonder to see on a good setup.

PostPosted: Tue January 17, 2017 5:38 pm 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Revelator wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Revelator wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I can't say that I'm a huge gamer, maybe an hour or two a week if I'm lucky anymore, but I can definitely tell a bit of a performance upgrade in graphical output and frame rate. I've mainly playing the new Tomb Raider game which looks fantastic. I've heard Uncharted 4 looks even better in UHD but I had already beat it on the old PS4 (that game is worth playing again though so I probably will). In all honesty, if you're not a huge gamer it's probably not critical that you upgrade right now. I got a great trade-in deal on Amazon and had some spare cash at Xmas so I said fuck it and upgraded (got a good black friday deal on the Pro, too). I mainly wanted to future proof my machine in anticipation of the new Red Dead and Last of Us. Having the ability to stream 4K content on Netflix is pretty sweet too. I'm still absolutely dumbfounded that they didn't incorporate a 4k player though. I know it would have increased production costs, but by and large I think the PS fanbase would have still paid the difference.

Yeah, the lack of a 4K BD player is baffling, and is the only reason I didn't buy one. I bought the Xbox One S instead and I hate it.

I think it says a lot about the future of 4k Blu Rays when the creator of Blu Ray technology chose not to include it in their premiere 4k capable box. I'm thinking of upgrading before Red Dead and Horizon. The HDR on the standard PS4 looks incredible. I bet the 4k looks just as good.

PostPosted: Tue January 17, 2017 6:12 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

samsung 60 inch 4k

+

PostPosted: Tue January 17, 2017 6:36 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I'll likely make the jump to 4K in the next few months. It really does look amazing. I've had my bedroom TV for about a year now, maybe I'll just move it to the living room and sell the living room TV off. It's just that technology is so fucking expensive in Argentina (often double what it costs in the US) and I feel silly spending so much money on a television when there are so many places I want to travel to this year.

PostPosted: Sat January 21, 2017 4:58 pm 
The Master

After much headache and hassle, I am thrilled that I have FINALLY fixed the audio lag on my system! :bammer:

PostPosted: Sat January 21, 2017 5:08 pm 
Major Dude

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
After much headache and hassle, I am thrilled that I have FINALLY fixed the audio lag on my system! :bammer:

How'd you fix it?

PostPosted: Sat January 21, 2017 5:14 pm 
The Master

wease wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

How'd you fix it?

I bought a new 4K player, and at first, while it was certainly an improvement in the lag, it was still present, even though it was slight. Thankfully, this player has a separate HDMI out for audio, so I hooked that up directly to my soundbar, bypassing the TV ARC. Now everything syncs up perfectly.

PostPosted: Sat January 21, 2017 5:53 pm 
Major Dude

Sweet.

PostPosted: Sat January 21, 2017 10:19 pm 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
wease wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

How'd you fix it?

I bought a new 4K player, and at first, while it was certainly an improvement in the lag, it was still present, even though it was slight. Thankfully, this player has a separate HDMI out for audio, so I hooked that up directly to my soundbar, bypassing the TV ARC. Now everything syncs up perfectly.

You going to sell the XBOX One then?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment