The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1890 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 95  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bruce Springsteen
PostPosted: Tue January 03, 2017 5:34 pm 
The Master

Really? I hadn't noticed.

PostPosted: Tue January 03, 2017 5:57 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Bruce is tomorrow's guest on Marc Maron's podcast, if anyone cares (I do not care).

Oh shit, this is a big one

I'm curious. He's a magnificently crafty bullshitter regarding his own history though, and one thing Maron is not is a determined digger. So many moments in the 'Bruce' bio have multiple people relating a story that doesn't fit his narrative, and then a great "gee shucks I dunno maybe but we were a band" Bruce interview that paves it all over. It's a big part of why I'm hesitant to read the auto.

Yea, my impression of him is that of a guy who has no problem inflating his own narrative.

He's a storyteller, so that's should be expected. I'm about to start his book, can't wait.

I don't follow your logic. Because he writes songs about fictitious characters, he should be able to spin a false narrative about himself? That would be sort of like if the singer of some other popular rock band decided to deny the existence of his former drummers. :mrgreen:

More so that he would twist and exaggerate facts to make a better story. I don't think you get to his position as an American/Rock and Roll icon without a certain degree of ego and/or hubris.

Ugh. I hate rock stars.

Bruce sounds a lot like this guy:

PostPosted: Tue January 03, 2017 8:10 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

dimejinky99 wrote:
But he's actually honest about it.

This was my thing. These are my songs. I started this.

Well, at least he's willing to take the blame.

PostPosted: Tue January 03, 2017 8:48 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Birds in Hell wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
But he's actually honest about it.

This was my thing. These are my songs. I started this.

Well, at least he's willing to take the blame.

At least he's not taking credit where he doesn't deserve any (hi dave a )

PostPosted: Wed January 04, 2017 2:36 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

yep. when I think of Pearl Jam and "Fame" I definitely think only of Dave Krusen & Matt Cameron

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Thu January 05, 2017 1:23 am 

tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Bruce is tomorrow's guest on Marc Maron's podcast, if anyone cares (I do not care).

I'm curious. He's a magnificently crafty bullshitter regarding his own history though, and one thing Maron is not is a determined digger. So many moments in the 'Bruce' bio have multiple people relating a story that doesn't fit his narrative, and then a great "gee shucks I dunno maybe but we were a band" Bruce interview that paves it all over. It's a big part of why I'm hesitant to read the auto.

Yea, my impression of him is that of a guy who has no problem inflating his own narrative.

He's a storyteller, so that's should be expected. I'm about to start his book, can't wait.

I don't follow your logic. Because he writes songs about fictitious characters, he should be able to spin a false narrative about himself? That would be sort of like if the singer of some other popular rock band decided to deny the existence of his former drummers. :mrgreen:

More so that he would twist and exaggerate facts to make a better story. I don't think you get to his position as an American/Rock and Roll icon without a certain degree of ego and/or hubris.

Ugh. I hate rock stars.

Hang on. You guys are complaining about Bruce.

Have any of you read anything about Neil Young and just how many people he's fucked over down the years?

Secondly have you read his meandering, totally bonkers and deluded autobiography?

PostPosted: Thu January 05, 2017 1:29 am 
The Master

dimejinky99 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Ugh. I hate rock stars.

Have any of you read anything about Neil Young and just how many people he's fucked over down the years?

Secondly have you read his meandering, totally bonkers and deluded autobiography?

I read Shaky, which was awesome, but I did not read the autobiography. Yea, Neil has been a dickhead many, many times. But I don't get the sense it's because he's enamored with himself (like I do with Bruce or Eddie or Axl or Sir Paul or Bono or...). Shaky makes it clear that his mother was a cantankerous, stubborn woman who did what she wanted, and it seems like Neil would probably be that way whether he was a rock star or a plumber.

PostPosted: Thu January 05, 2017 1:32 am 
A Return To Form

tragabigzanda wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Ugh. I hate rock stars.

I read Shaky, which was awesome, but I did not read the autobiography. Yea, Neil has been a dickhead many, many times. But I don't get the sense it's because he's enamored with himself (like I do with Bruce or Eddie or Axl or Sir Paul or Bono or...). Shaky makes it clear that his mother was a cantankerous, stubborn woman who did what she wanted, and it seems like Neil would probably be that way whether he was a rock star or a plumber.

Besides his poor attitude, how do you think he'd do as a plumber?

PostPosted: Thu January 05, 2017 1:33 am 
The Master

MissYouAllDay wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Ugh. I hate rock stars.

Besides his poor attitude, how do you think he'd do as a plumber?

He'd be a shitty laborer, but probably a successful owner/operator.

PostPosted: Thu January 05, 2017 1:42 am 

tragabigzanda wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Ugh. I hate rock stars.

Bruce's book is mostly about his father torturing him and his family for years with his paranoid schizophrenia. I've read both. Bruce had a harder time. And fucked nobody over. But suffers crippling depressions all his life.

Neil's a consistently selfish cunt throughout his entire life. And doesn't seem to care.

PostPosted: Thu January 05, 2017 1:42 am 
The Master

dimejinky99 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Ugh. I hate rock stars.

Bruce's book is mostly about his father torturing him and his family for years with his paranoid schizophrenia. I've read both. Bruce had a harder time. And fucked nobody over. But suffers crippling depressions all his life.

Neil's a consistently selfish cunt throughout his entire life. And doesn't seem to care.

But his music is 1000x better.

PostPosted: Thu January 05, 2017 1:49 am 

tragabigzanda wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Ugh. I hate rock stars.

They're both great at what they do. I'd take Bruce over Neil though.

PostPosted: Thu January 05, 2017 1:49 am 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Ugh. I hate rock stars.

Well that's just not true

PostPosted: Thu January 05, 2017 1:56 am 
A Return To Form

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Ugh. I hate rock stars.

Well that's just not true

1000 * 0 = 0

PostPosted: Sat January 07, 2017 3:09 am 
tl;dr

I was going to order some of those live archive shows with holiday gift money, but after shipping they were so expensive I just decided to limit myself to one (I got the 2005 one; I have the 1980 one already). But then I realized I never picked up the "Hammersmith Odeon, London '75" album from a few years ago, so I ordered a used copy for about $4. Listening right now -- what a great sounding show. Even early on he was radically reimagining songs (the slow version of "E Street Shuffle" is really cool, and of course the solo piano "Thunder Road"). An artist with the world at his fingertips -- a thing to behold.

PostPosted: Sat January 07, 2017 2:35 pm 

Kevin Davis wrote:
I was going to order some of those live archive shows with holiday gift money, but after shipping they were so expensive I just decided to limit myself to one (I got the 2005 one; I have the 1980 one already). But then I realized I never picked up the "Hammersmith Odeon, London '75" album from a few years ago, so I ordered a used copy for about $4. Listening right now -- what a great sounding show. Even early on he was radically reimagining songs (the slow version of "E Street Shuffle" is really cool, and of course the solo piano "Thunder Road"). An artist with the world at his fingertips -- a thing to behold.

He really hated that show. Speaks about it at length in his book.

PostPosted: Sat January 07, 2017 3:13 pm 
tl;dr

You'd sure never guess that from his liner notes in the CD

PostPosted: Sat January 07, 2017 4:49 pm 

Kevin Davis wrote:
You'd sure never guess that from his liner notes in the CD

It was the hype the promoter had built up around London and the venue.
Shows how sensitive / relatively insecure he was at that time.

The DVD of the show comes with the born to run box set I think. I loved it. All grainy n 70s

PostPosted: Sun January 08, 2017 11:02 pm 
known prankster

Kevin Davis wrote:

If you're looking for another archive show to buy, I'd recommend the Christic Shows from the early 90s. It's just Bruce on guitar/piano. His voice sounds fantastic (it's right before he started singing in that horrible country music twang that still plagues him today).

The version of Real World may be one of his best performances: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_PxWw_g_pE

And yet the version that would eventually be recorded for Human Touch a few years later is abysmal.

PostPosted: Sun January 08, 2017 11:21 pm 
tl;dr

I almost grabbed the Christic shows but it lost out due to the fact that it was 2 shows with almost identical setlists. I'll get 'em next go-'round.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1890 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 95  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands