The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2017 Tour Rumors
PostPosted: Thu January 05, 2017 12:26 pm 
Champion of RM

TouringReg wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
Progressive Field rumors....

That's not a rumor, that's people on the official message board assuming every concert annoucement is Pearl Jam. There is no way Pearl Jam can play a stadium in Cleveland. From what I've seen there are zero rumors of holds on venues for 2017 for PJ.

And that stadium show in Cleveland is likely U2.

It's strange that the RRHoF is involved in the announcement though.

PostPosted: Thu January 05, 2017 4:51 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

The only reason Wrigley and Fenway work for them is because those two stadiums are significantly smaller than your average American stadium in a major city. If they start trying to branch beyond those two it's going to be a disaster.

PostPosted: Thu January 05, 2017 5:13 pm 
A Return To Form

numbers wrote:
The only reason Wrigley and Fenway work for them is because those two stadiums are significantly smaller than your average American stadium in a major city. If they start trying to branch beyond those two it's going to be a disaster.

And Pearl Jam is super popular in those two cities. New York and Philly are the only other two cities I think they could play stadiums. And they'd have to plan the shows properly (not in the middle of tours, isolated shows on summer weekends).

PostPosted: Thu January 05, 2017 7:17 pm 
Champion of RM

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Billy Joel has put Cleveland back on the stadium concert map.

At a press conference at Progressive Field's Infiniti Club Thursday afternoon, concert promoter Live Nation, Rock & Roll Hall of Fame President and CEO Greg? Harris and the Cleveland Indians Senior Vice President of Public Affairs Bob DiBiasio announced that the Rock & Roll Hall of Famer would be headlining a gig at the Tribe's home park on Friday, July 14.

Joel, who was inducted into the Rock Hall in 1999, opened what was then Gateway Plaza Arena five years earlier. He returned on the 20th anniversary of that show, in 2014, to play to a sold-out Q.

It's the first true rock 'n' roll stadium show in Cleveland since the September 1995 concert to open the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame at the old Cleveland Municipal Stadium, the home of the city's celebrated Word Series of Rock concerts.

Earlier that year, Progressive Field - then known by its original Jacobs Field sobriquet -- played host to Jimmy Buffett in a concert that left the outfield grass scarred for the entire season. Country star Brad Paisley headlined a show at the ballpark in 2011, and country superstar Jason Aldean stepped up to the plate in 2014.

Municipal Stadium's replacement - FirstEnergy Stadium - has welcome several acts, most notably country stars George Strait, Kenny Chesney and Luke Bryan, as well as boy band One Direction.

The configuration for the show will see the stage in left field, meaning the left-field bleachers, which will be behind the stage, will be blacked out. However, fans will be allowed on the field, so the 35,000-capacity of Progressive Field will remain unchanged.

Some may wonder whether Joel can sell out a stadium. But if the enthusiasm of the crowd in that 2014 crowd at the sold-out Q is any indicator, it won't be a problem. He has filled to capacity other stadiums, including Chicago's Wrigley Field and Boston's Fenway Park, among others.

Larry Doby Jr., who has been a member of Joel's production team for more than 20 years, was the tie between the Indians and the singer known as "The Piano Man.''

Tall as his Baseball Hall of Fame father and looking like he could still strap on the spikes or shoulder pads for his Duke University alma mater, Doby Jr. heads the riggers for Joel. He is faced with the challenge of where to put things like trucks and other equipment.

Ironically, while this will be Joel's musical debut at Progressive Field, it won't be his initial performance here. Indians Senior Vice President of Public Affairs Bob DiBiasio, who was already beaming in the wake of a morning press conference to announce the signing of Toronto Blue Jays slugger Edgar Encarnacion, gushed when he told the story:

Tribe fans remember the home opener in 2007 had been snowed out, which forced the team to relocate to Milwaukee to launch the season. The first game in Cleveland was April 13, 2007. Fate put Joel in town then, to play a gig at Quicken Loans Arena.

Through Doby Jr., who spent much of his youth in Cleveland, and is well known to Indians management, Joel was convinced to throw out the first ball of the season. After, of course, the younger Doby provided the devout Yankees fan with considerable instruction.

"You coached him well,'' DiBiasio joked from the podium. "He threw a perfect strike.''

By the way, DiBiasio's constant smile got even bigger when asked if he worried about letting a lifelong New York fan inside the gate.

"Not in the least,'' he said, quipping that maybe the team could make him a Tribe fan . . . at least for one day.

Joining DiBiasio and Live Nation Senior Vice President of Marketing Barry Sanders at the podium in making the announcement was Rock & Roll Hall of Fame President and CEO Greg? Harris. Harris' own ties to baseball are extensive: Prior to joining the Rock Hall, he spent 14 years at the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York.

Gabel confirmed that there will be an opening act for the show, but noted that Joel prefers to pick his own from among artists he himself favors.

Tickets will range from $49.50 to $139.50. The American Express presale is from 10 a.m. Monday, Jan. 9, to 10 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 12, at Indians.com/BillyJoel. Public onsale begins at 10 a.m. Friday, Jan. 13., at the Indians box office only on that day, at the Indians.com address and by phone at 1-877-538-6282.

Left up in the air is whether this show will lead to others. Major bands like Pearl Jam, U2 and Guns N' Roses are planning stadium tours this summer. Pearl Jam's status as the big name in the Class of 2017 for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame had been mentioned as the most likely headliner for this show.

A spokesman for Live Nation hinted, though, that other announcements are likely for stadium dates here this summer and down the road.

World Series of Rock Redux, anyone?

PostPosted: Thu January 05, 2017 7:22 pm 
Champion of RM

TouringReg wrote:
numbers wrote:

And Pearl Jam is super popular in those two cities. New York and Philly are the only other two cities I think they could play stadiums. And they'd have to plan the shows properly (not in the middle of tours, isolated shows on summer weekends).

As long as there's not a competing tour, i think a destination-event stadium-show would work anywhere in the US.

PostPosted: Fri January 06, 2017 2:24 am 
Looks Like a Cat

CopperTom wrote:
TouringReg wrote:
numbers wrote:

As long as there's not a competing tour, i think a destination-event stadium-show would work anywhere in the US.

Copper is correct guys. He pretty much always right.

PostPosted: Fri January 06, 2017 3:21 pm 
The Master

Cleveland has always been known as a destination city.

PostPosted: Fri January 06, 2017 3:24 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Cleveland has always been known as a destination city.

PostPosted: Mon January 09, 2017 7:40 pm 
Champion of RM

Front And Center: Sound Engineer And Co-Founder of Soundgirls, Karrie Keyes
The WiMN’s Front and Center is a weekly column that showcases accomplished women who work in the music and audio industries. We spotlight successful female performers, manufacturers, retailers, educators, managers, publicists, and everyone else in between. Want to be featured? Learn how here.

Front and Center: Sound Engineer And Co-Founder of Soundgirls, Karrie Keyes

By Myki Angeline

Sound engineer Karrie Keyes has spent over two decades monitoring sound for some of the biggest names in rock like Pearl Jam and The Red Hot Chili Peppers...and she accomplished this as a mother of twin daughters. A true inspiration to women in a field where women make up only 5% of audio engineers. That is why she co-founded Soundgirls; to give women (and those who identify as women) a platform to support working in professional audio and music production by highlighting their success and providing a place for them to connect, network, and share advice.

We are thrilled to be presenting Karrie Keyes with a 2017 She Rocks Award at the upcoming NAMM Show in January. In honor of the occasion, she recently spoke with us on her life on the road with Pearl Jam, how she overcame the struggles of being a woman in the sound engineer industry, and what Soundgirls has in store for 2017.

Visit Soundgirls website here.

WiMN: Congratulations on being a She Rocks Awards honoree! What are you looking forward to most at the ceremony, and what does it mean to you to receive this award?

KK: I attended the awards for the first time in 2015, and loved hearing the stories and achievements from the honorees. The sense of community that this awards show creates is very important and empowering. I am humbled to be honored. The hard work I do on a day to day basis for the SoundGirls community is important for women and girls. To be recognized for that work is very rewarding.

WiMN: Give us your professional title and what you do as a part of SoundGirls. How long have you been a part of this organization?

KK: I am the co-founder and executive director of SoundGirls. I run the organization on a day to day basis. That includes: editor, finance, website, social media, organizing workshops and seminars, answering email, speaking engagements, community outreach, fundraising, developing our Live Sound Camp for Girls. Basically everything.

WiMN: What was your introduction to music in your youth?

KK: I would just fall in love with songs I heard on the radio. I think differently than some, to the point I would be so emotionally excited when they came on the radio. Back then, I took music lessons from about 3rd grade through middle school. Options to work in music were not presented to me in high school, but it was something that called to me. I tried to remain content by being a fan and attending as many concerts and shows as I could.

That is one thing SoundGirls works to change. We feature monthly profiles on Women Audio Engineers, so now when young girls are searching online for female audio engineers they have a face; a role model. You can’t be something you can’t see.

WiMN: You aspired to be a writer when you were younger, and travel the world. Do you still write now? Have you traveled the world?

KK: I love to write and I write a lot of content for SoundGirls, so that is nice. I have been able to travel to a lot of places by touring with bands.

WiMN: What attracted you to audio/monitor engineering?

KK: I had the desire to be around music and that creativity. So, when I had the chance to hang out at shows and help a local sound company, I just jumped at it. You can take a lot of chances when you are 17. From there I learned on the job and eventually was running the stage and able to mix monitors for the support bands and eventually the headliners.

WiMN: Describe one of your most memorable sessions.

KK: Oh geez! There are too many. When I was working one-offs on a regular basis, everyday had the potential to be a magical and memorable experience. The power of live performance to transform, elevate, empower...to transport to another a place is - well there is nothing else like it.

WiMN: Do you play any instruments?

KK: Not now.

WiMN: Can you tell us about some of the projects you are working on currently?

KK: SoundGirls! We are just gearing up for our annual fundraising, which provides scholarships to any girl that wants to attend our Live Sound Camp for Girls during the summer. Last year we provided four camps across the U.S. with over 100 girls attending and providing 70% of the girls attending scholarships. (The camps and SoundGirls is open to all genders and non-conforming genders. Our membership base is about 35% male and 65% female). We are close to launching a directory for Women in Music Production - where women and those that identify as women can upload their resumes, experience, job discipline. The directory is free and can be utilized by anyone that is looking to hire women for their production team. Now, when people say they want to hire women but can't find them - there will be a directory full of them.

Lastly, Pearl Jam should hit the road in late 2017 which will round out the year.

WiMN: Have you ever faced adversity in the music industry simply for being a woman? If so, how did you overcome it? Do you feel it made you a stronger, tougher person?

KK: Once the road manager for Pearl Jam posted a picture of the women on the crew (which we have several from Production Manager, Production Coordinator, Lighting Designer, Monitor Engineer, Management, Photography and Fan Club, Lighting Crew) with the caption, 'The Tougher Side of the Pearl Jam Crew'.

Women must work harder, smarter, and be tougher, and by being those things is how you overcome adversity. Since starting SoundGirls I have learned that the issues women face are not limited to women; it affects all marginalized people. The industry needs diversity.

WiMN: Do you have advice for young women who might be considering a career as an audio engineer?

KK: My advice is the same for all. Follow your passion and do what you love to do. It may be a hard path to walk, but one that will be incredibly rewarding. SoundGirls is a wonderful and supportive community where you can ask questions, find resources and mentors and start on this amazing career path.

PostPosted: Wed February 01, 2017 12:14 am 
Champion of RM

https://www.reddit.com/r/pearljam/comme ... h=66cead55

PostPosted: Wed February 01, 2017 2:19 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

CopperTom wrote:
https://www.reddit.com/r/pearljam/comments/5r9so9/just_got_confirmation_that_pj_will_be_doing_a/?st=iylusxei&sh=66cead55

is "Oro" Canada supposed to be a reference to toronto? or Barrie? are they actually playing 3 nights in a small lakeside town?

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

Last edited by 96583UP on Wed February 01, 2017 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed February 01, 2017 2:20 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

96583UP wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
https://www.reddit.com/r/pearljam/comments/5r9so9/just_got_confirmation_that_pj_will_be_doing_a/?st=iylusxei&sh=66cead55

is "Oro" Canada supposed to be a reference to toronto? or Barrie? or are they actually playing 3 nights in a small lakeside town?

hmmmm............

http://www.burlscreek.com

Quote:
WayHome Music & Arts Festival
July 28 - 30, 2017
This is not the music festival you think it is. We are about what happens when different and interesting people come together. We are making this about music, food, art and film. And we’re making it a place for people who love one or all of those things to come together to make a kaleidoscope of sound, smell, colour, and spectacle.

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Wed February 01, 2017 5:18 pm 
AnalLog

CopperTom wrote:

I can't open Reddit at work. Can you tell me what it says?

PostPosted: Wed February 01, 2017 5:28 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Hatfield wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

I can't open Reddit at work. Can you tell me what it says?

Quebec City again and a festival outside Toronto in June 2017.

PostPosted: Sun February 05, 2017 3:36 am 
mXn

Open date at Red Rocks 9/24 ....

PostPosted: Tue February 21, 2017 4:29 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

So, with Ed in Italy in June, is that confirmation of no summer tour?

PostPosted: Tue February 21, 2017 6:29 pm 
Champion of RM

mkay0 wrote:

Probably.

PostPosted: Wed February 22, 2017 2:49 am 
Looks Like a Cat

CopperTom wrote:
mkay0 wrote:

Probably.

Is this show before or after the summer festival circuit?

PostPosted: Sun April 09, 2017 8:37 pm 
Champion of RM

Seems like an ill conceived HoF freebie if that's actually the case. What other freebies were there?

PostPosted: Mon April 10, 2017 12:32 am 
Looks Like a Cat

CopperTom wrote:

Seems like an ill conceived HoF freebie if that's actually the case. What other freebies were there?

I need a year off.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live