The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 718 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Green Bay Packers
PostPosted: Sun January 17, 2016 2:44 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Rodgers has been held back by spotty coaching, iffy play-calling and organizational strategies that emphasize "player development" over winning now.

And also some bad luck.

PostPosted: Sun January 17, 2016 2:49 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I think that Brady is now the gold standard for all NFL quarterbacks. It was funny when people thought Manning was better. That debate is over. It was clearly Montana for awhile, but Brady has pretty much put that debate to bed, but probably needs one more title to slam the door shut.

So, now let's move to Rogers. He's young and healthy. He plays for an iconic team with a great home field advantage and great ownership (love that fans own the team) and great coach. He has time to win 3 more titles and tie Brady, while racking up regular season and post seasons stats. In short, the jury's still out.

PostPosted: Sun January 17, 2016 2:51 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

McCarthy is not a "great" coach.

PostPosted: Sun January 17, 2016 2:55 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

turned2black wrote:
Rodgers has been held back by spotty coaching, iffy play-calling and organizational strategies that emphasize "player development" over winning now.

And also some bad luck.

You could say the same for many QBs. Look at Brady. He lost an entire season in his prime to injury. He's had bad luck (e.g. Giants super bowl miracle catches), and for years, they did not give him weapons to throw to, and when they did (Moss) they choked in the SB. They've cut great players/traded great players (Milloy, Seymour) to get younger and develop young players. I mean, I could go on and on...

PostPosted: Sun January 17, 2016 3:00 pm 
Rank This Poster

Coach wrote:
I think that Brady is now the gold standard for all NFL quarterbacks. It was funny when people thought Manning was better. That debate is over. It was clearly Montana for awhile, but Brady has pretty much put that debate to bed, but probably needs one more title to slam the door shut.

So, now let's move to Rogers. He's young and healthy. He plays for an iconic team with a great home field advantage and great ownership (love that fans own the team) and great coach. He has time to win 3 more titles and tie Brady, while racking up regular season and post seasons stats. In short, the jury's still out.

I agree about Brady. I don't think another title is even necessary. I know Rodgers is newly 32, but that's not exactly young, especially considering how he plays. From what I saw of his team this year, they were lucky to make the playoffs. They're aging on d, their rb is eating himself out of effectiveness, who knows if Jordy's breakaway speed will be there, and the coaching staff is kind of stale. Also, I sort of expect Carolina to lose today but then represent the NFC for the next couple of years.

PostPosted: Sun January 17, 2016 3:09 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

daft twat wrote:
Coach wrote:

I agree about Brady. I don't think another title is even necessary. I know Rodgers is newly 32, but that's not exactly young, especially considering how he plays. From what I saw of his team this year, they were lucky to make the playoffs. They're aging on d, their rb is eating himself out of effectiveness, who knows if Jordy's breakaway speed will be there, and the coaching staff is kind of stale. Also, I sort of expect Carolina to lose today but then represent the NFC for the next couple of years.

His age is what I'm most optimistic about. Brady won a SB at 37. I see no reason why Rogers can't do the same. These players these day (cough, HGH, cough, HGH) have ways to stay in shape and play longer. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a QB at age 40 win a SB in our lifetime.

PostPosted: Sun January 17, 2016 3:12 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

I'm not trying to make a case for Rodgers > Brady. I just think he's been hampered by some bungled time-management issues and bizarre play-calling over the last few years.

PostPosted: Sun January 17, 2016 3:22 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

turned2black wrote:
I'm not trying to make a case for Rodgers > Brady. I just think he's been hampered by some bungled time-management issues and bizarre play-calling over the last few years.

I didn't think you were. While Rogers and the team had a down year, I'm making the case that he can come back and be right at the top of the best QB discussion. But yeah, the team made some sucky decisions this year.

PostPosted: Sun January 17, 2016 4:14 pm 
AnalLog

spike wrote:
Kick a Packers fan when he's down. Typical Bears fan.

You pull no punches on the Bears ;)

PostPosted: Sun January 17, 2016 4:16 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

He just needs time to cope. He will be ok.

PostPosted: Sun January 17, 2016 4:36 pm 
The Master

daft twat wrote:
So when the Packers won in 2011, I thought it was going to be the first of 3 or 4 because Rodgers was so good and would get better. Basically, I thought he'd make Brett an afterthought. Now it seems his career might wind up being Dan Marino's, except he did make good on the one appearance. If he never gets back to another SB, or if he makes it back to one but loses, where will he rank in the pantheon of Green Bay players or NFL players? I'll hang up and listen.

although rodgers is a better quarterback than favre, he's not as exciting (save for two hail marys). if he can't get another one to move ahead of favre in the trophy dept, i think favre will go down as the greater qb.

the packers not getting back to and winning another super bowl the last five years isn't on rodgers, it's on ted thompson and his build from within strategy. cultivating home grown players is admirable, but it is limited. it can certainly be the basis of a consistently good football team year in and year out, but free agents need to be brought in to address immediate needs as well. you can't wait for a promising young player to grow into a role when you have a franchise quarterback in place. hopefully, this is the offseason thompson goes out and picks up another impact player or two like he did with chuck woodson.

Last edited by spike on Sun January 17, 2016 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun January 17, 2016 4:38 pm 
The Master

Fuck You Jobu wrote:
spike wrote:

of course, but i'd allow you guys a grieving period if you ever lost a meaningful football game.

PostPosted: Sun January 17, 2016 5:33 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

spike wrote:
Fuck You Jobu wrote:
spike wrote:

of course, but i'd allow you guys a grieving period if you ever lost a meaningful football game.

Pfffft

PostPosted: Sun January 17, 2016 6:05 pm 
RM Elitist

I hate the Packers, but I couldn't bring myself to root for any team called "Cardinals"

PostPosted: Sun September 25, 2016 6:39 pm 
The Master

R-E-L-A-X

PostPosted: Tue September 27, 2016 4:43 am 
Future Drummer

Regarding Coach's post above, Brady has had the advantage of playing his entire tenure under likely the greatest coach in NFL history. It's easy to win a lot when you're constantly two years ahead of the curve schematically vs. everyone else.

Plus, you know, the cheating.

PostPosted: Mon January 02, 2017 4:59 am 
The Master

division title back where it belongs

PostPosted: Mon January 02, 2017 8:04 pm 
Future Drummer

Coach wrote:
I think that Brady is now the gold standard for all NFL quarterbacks. It was funny when people thought Manning was better. That debate is over.

The debate isn't over IMO, because Brady had much better organizational support. What would Manning's career have looked like with almost two decades of coaching and management from Belichick? I don't want to hear anything about Brady's "bad luck," considering he really hasn't had any. When their offense wasn't the focal point they had a great defense; when the defense started slipping they put together their excellent offensive teams, and in years like 2014 they had both. In the offensive-driven years he has played with likely the greatest slot receiver ever, the greatest WR ever, likely the greatest TE ever, and another player that I think would have made the Hall of Fame in Hernandez if he could've stayed clean. The benefit he has received being a part of the most excellent football organization since Walsh's 49ers cannot be overstated. They went 3-1 without him this year and 11-5 the last time he was out for the year. Manning's Colt's got the #1 pick the year he missed. It's night and day.

Also, Manning's injury was much more severe than Brady's and probably knocked 2-3 good years off his career. And for a last point, I know Pats fans will never cop to this, but the whole cheating thing can't be ignored.

PostPosted: Mon January 02, 2017 8:06 pm 
Future Drummer

I totally forgot I had already responded to that post. :haha:

PostPosted: Mon January 02, 2017 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

Orpheus wrote:
What would Manning's career have looked like with almost two decades of coaching and management from Belichick?
This came dangerously close to happening--if Manning declared early he's likely going to the Jets with the first overall pick, who had a soon-to-be-retiring-again Bill Parcells, and Belichick as DC. I actually wrote an alternate history on this in which Belichick doesn't leave the Jets at the altar with Manning in the building.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 718 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports