The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post subject: Yield [Deluxe]
PostPosted: Tue November 08, 2016 11:30 pm 
Future Drummer

Quote:
=========
PEARL JAM
=========
Y I E L D
=========
[DELUXE]
=========

Compilation and artwork by ridleybradout
Additional remastering by JWB
November 2016

FAN-MADE PROJECT - NOT FOR SALE

*Share freely but do not distribute as mp3*

The recording of the album Yield could not have been more different to that of its predecessor. At the end of the No Code sessions, Eddie was feeling burnt out from his responsibility for constructing finished songs from the fragments of musical ideas that his bandmates would present. He suggested a more collaborative effort for the next album, encouraging band members to write and bring in finished songs.

Jeff Ament commented that everybody took this request to heart, and Ed's positive reaction to the material presented kept everyone "energized about their place in the band". For the first time, album lyrics were contributed by bandmembers for Vedder to sing. Jeff believed this also had a positive impact on the band's improved morale: "Eddie put his heart into singing lyrics that I wrote, was an experience I can't put into words."

Pearl Jam devoted the majority of 1997 to writing and recording Yield. Of the sessions, Jack Irons said, "We didn't put any time limit on it. It was like, 'When this record's done, we call it a record.' We took our time to come up with ideal sounds and feel for every song, so that each had its own identity. We would cut a track and go back and listen to it and openly discuss it." As a result, the band spent a large amount of time rehearsing the songs to get the best takes possible, in direct contrast to the No Code recording process which on reflection was considered by the band to have been a bit too rushed.

The release of Yield was met with widespread praise, and was the first but not the last Pearl Jam album to be heralded as "a return to form". Although spending more time and effort promoting the album than it usually did, the band initially decided to stick to its decision to eschew music videos, and instead release the DVD 'Single Video Theory', containing interviews with the band about the making of Yield and performances of songs recording during rehearsal's for their only shows of 1997 in support of the Rolling Stones. However, the band decided to break their self-imposed ban on music videos to create an animated film with visionary comic book artist Todd McFarlane to further explore the themes depicted in 'Do The Evolution'. The video was the band's first since 1992, was nominated for a Grammy, and is the subject of an upcoming art book by IDW publishing.

Being one of Pearl Jam's most well-produced and sonically perfect albums, no tweaking or remastering was deemed necessary for this deluxe edition, although there is an option to update the album with the '2016 HD Remaster for vinyl' by Bob Ludwig (who also mastered the original release).

The deluxe edition of Yield is expanded with all currently available outtakes, consisting of the album's two B-sides, and a pair of Jack Irons-penned songs, 'The Whale Song' and 'Happy When I'm Crying', which were featured on a compilation and Christmas single respectively.

According to PearlJamOnline's Recording Sessions guide (http://www.pearljamonline.it/rs.htm) there are at least six other outtakes from the Yield sessions left in the vault, including the mysterious 'Leatherman II', early versions of Binaural tracks 'Of The Girl', 'Thin Air' and 'Parting Ways', and the still yet-to-be-released-in-studio-form 'Falling Down' (the latter two were also attempted during the No Code sessions).

Also included are the four full performances from 'Single Video Theory', expertly edited and mastered by JWB, and the Jack Iron's demo 'Small Mosquito', which was officially debuted during the Yield 15th Anniversary Show on PJ Radio in 2013. This sonic experiment was a precursor to Yield track 'Red Dot', and dates back to 1995 when it was used as intro music on Pearl Jam's 1995 tour.

**Please note including the bonus track takes the running time to 80:32, which means you will need to enable 'overburn' to burn to CD-R. Alternatively, you may wish to leave off the bonus track, in which case there is alternate artwork included.

**As per the other Deluxe Editions I've put together, this set will be updated should any new recordings surface. Please contact me (ridleybradout AT hotmail.com) should you come across anything new from the Yield sessions.

TRACKLIST

01 Brain of J
02 Faithfull
03 No Way
04 Given To Fly
05 Wishlist
06 Pilate
07 Do The Evolution
08 [Red Dot]
09 MFC
10 Low Light
11 In Hiding
12 Push Me, Pull Me
13 All Those Yesterdays
14 Hummus

15 Leatherman (B-Side)
16 U (B-Side)
17 Happy When I'm Crying (Christmas Single)
18 The Whale Song (Outtake)
19 Given To Fly (1997 Tour Rehearsal)
20 Wishlist (1997 Tour Rehearsal)
21 In Hiding (1997 Tour Rehearsal)
22 Do The Evolution (1997 Tour Rehearsal)

BONUS TRACK
23 Small Mosquito (Jack Demo)

SOURCE INFO:

Track 01-14: Yield CD
Track 15: Given To Fly CD single
Track 16: Wishlist CD single
Track 17: 1997 Tenclub 7" Holiday single
Track 18: Music For Our Mother Ocean Vol. 3 CD
Track 19-22: Single Video Theory DVD
Track 23: PJ Radio Broadcast (lossy source)

All tracks recorded at Studio Litho and Studio X, Seattle from February to November 1997
Except track 23, recorded at Jack Iron's home, Northern California.

Produced by Brendan O'Brien and Pearl Jam
Mixed by Brendan O'Brien, except for track 12 mixed by Nick Didia
Mastered by Bob Ludwig

Post subject: Re: Yield [Deluxe]
PostPosted: Tue November 08, 2016 11:34 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Dear Pearl Jam,

Hire this man. He's better at this stuff than you are.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed November 09, 2016 12:06 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Awesome! Some good news for when I get home today.

I noticed on HDtracks there's 192/24 tracks for No Code and Yield, where did you source the HD tracks for these?

(I know there's not much of a difference to 90% of ears)

PostPosted: Wed November 09, 2016 12:11 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Wed November 09, 2016 12:14 am 
Future Drummer

Can someone point me to these deluxe compilations? Thanks

PostPosted: Wed November 09, 2016 12:28 am 
Future Drummer

Thanks for the kind words guys (and for that lovely rendition of the Mariah Carey classic, keep practicing dude :nice: )

bune wrote:
Awesome! Some good news for when I get home today.

I noticed on HDtracks there's 192/24 tracks for No Code and Yield, where did you source the HD tracks for these?

(I know there's not much of a difference to 90% of ears)

The Pono store, but they should be exactly the same as those on HD tracks :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed November 09, 2016 12:34 am 
10Club Complaint Department

B wrote:
Dear Pearl Jam,

Hire this man. He's better at this stuff than you are.

Thanks.

Seconded.

Thanks Brad for all you do.

PostPosted: Wed November 09, 2016 2:07 am 
Broken Tamborine

I've really been looking forward to this one. Thanks Brad & JWB for all you do!

PostPosted: Wed November 09, 2016 10:10 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Cool idea with these deluxe editions. Congrats on your excellent work, but shame there aint more outtakes at the present moment.

PostPosted: Wed November 09, 2016 4:29 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

great work as always! thanks for sharing.

and now - riot act! ;)

philipp

PostPosted: Wed November 09, 2016 4:49 pm 
The Beef

Are there so few B-sides/WIP from this album because they were working harder on a smaller group of songs, or do we know of more that exist but haven't shown up anywhere?

PostPosted: Wed November 09, 2016 9:22 pm 
Future Drummer

ABNorman wrote:
Are there so few B-sides/WIP from this album because they were working harder on a smaller group of songs, or do we know of more that exist but haven't shown up anywhere?

ridleybradout wrote:
According to PearlJamOnline's Recording Sessions guide (http://www.pearljamonline.it/rs.htm) there are at least six other outtakes from the Yield sessions left in the vault, including the mysterious 'Leatherman II', early versions of Binaural tracks 'Of The Girl', 'Thin Air' and 'Parting Ways', and the still yet-to-be-released-in-studio-form 'Falling Down' (the latter two were also attempted during the No Code sessions).

http://www.pearljamonline.it/rs.htm wrote:
Febbraio/Giugno 1997 - Studio Litho - Seattle, WA; Agosto/Settembre 1997 - Studio Litho and Studio X - Seattle, WA and Southern Tracks Recording - Atlanta, GA
Ed Vedder - vocals, guitar, background vocals; Stone Gossard - guitar, background vocals, bass on 'Do The Evolution' and 'No Way'; Mike McCready - guitar; Jeff Ament - bass, background vocals; Jack Irons - drum kit, percussion, vocals on 'The Whale Song'; Brendan O'Brien - organ, piano

All Those Yesterdays
Bayleaf
Brain Of J.
Bulldozer
Color Red, The (a.k.a. Red Dot)
Do The Evolution
Faithfull
Fallen (a.k.a. Falling Down)
Given To Fly
Happy When I'm Crying
Hummus
In Hiding
Leatherman
Leatherman II
Low Light
MFC (a.k.a. Mini Fast Car)
No Way
Of The Girl
Parting Ways

Pilate
Push Me, Pull Me
Thin Air
Whale Song, The (a.k.a. Whales)
Wishlist
U

PostPosted: Wed November 09, 2016 10:29 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

ridleybradout wrote:
ABNorman wrote:

ridleybradout wrote:

Febbraio/Giugno 1997 - Studio Litho - Seattle, WA; Agosto/Settembre 1997 - Studio Litho and Studio X - Seattle, WA and Southern Tracks Recording - Atlanta, GA
Ed Vedder - vocals, guitar, background vocals; Stone Gossard - guitar, background vocals, bass on 'Do The Evolution' and 'No Way'; Mike McCready - guitar; Jeff Ament - bass, background vocals; Jack Irons - drum kit, percussion, vocals on 'The Whale Song'; Brendan O'Brien - organ, piano

All Those Yesterdays
Bayleaf
Brain Of J.
Bulldozer
Do The Evolution
Faithfull
Given To Fly
Happy When I'm Crying
Hummus
In Hiding
Leatherman
Leatherman II
Low Light
No Way
Of The Girl
Parting Ways

Pilate
Push Me, Pull Me
Thin Air
Wishlist
U

Very nice. Thanks. Bayleaf, I assuming, is the same as Stone's solo 2001 album. Bulldozer on Jeff's 2008 solo album.

PostPosted: Wed November 09, 2016 10:34 pm 
The Master

gatherspeed wrote:
ridleybradout wrote:
ABNorman wrote:

ridleybradout wrote:

All Those Yesterdays
Bayleaf
Brain Of J.
Bulldozer
Do The Evolution
Faithfull
Given To Fly
Happy When I'm Crying
Hummus
In Hiding
Leatherman
Leatherman II
Low Light
No Way
Of The Girl
Parting Ways

Pilate
Push Me, Pull Me
Thin Air
Wishlist
U

Very nice. Thanks. Bayleaf, I assuming, is the same as Stone's solo 2001 album. Bulldozer on Jeff's 2008 solo album.

So I guess really, Leatherman II is the only real mystery song from these sessions. Good work, guys.

PostPosted: Wed November 09, 2016 10:37 pm 
Poster of the Year

I bet Leatherman 2 is just a slow version of Leatherman, ala Lukin 2.

PostPosted: Wed November 09, 2016 10:41 pm 
The Master

cutuphalfdead wrote:

Still better than anything on Lightning Bowl.

PostPosted: Wed November 09, 2016 10:49 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

tragabigzanda wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

Bayleaf and Bulldozer are great. They did not pass mustard then, but would be better then anything they put out now.

PostPosted: Wed November 09, 2016 11:02 pm 
The Master

gatherspeed wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

Bayleaf and Bulldozer are great. They did not pass mustard then, but would be better then anything they put out now.

Bayleaf is awesome. I don't really like Jeff's solo albums. The music ranges from good to great, but his voice is just... :shake: RNDM sure is awesome, though.

PostPosted: Wed November 09, 2016 11:08 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

tragabigzanda wrote:
gatherspeed wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

Bayleaf is awesome. I don't really like Jeff's solo albums. The music ranges from good to great, but his voice is just... :shake: RNDM sure is awesome, though.

Agree 100%. Jeff does come up with unique rhythms and when I listen to his stuff I end up asking myself; "why are these not Pearl Jam songs?"

PostPosted: Wed November 09, 2016 11:18 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Because they never invite him to the recording sessions on time?

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam