The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wild game
PostPosted: Thu November 03, 2016 8:35 pm 
for those who
are not...shall be

I've had and helped make squirrel stew once a while ago and it was pretty tasty, but there was some hair.

I know fish isn't wild game but I remember around this same time, helping my friends sew the skin back onto fish that had been gutted, mixed with some tasty other stuff, stuffed, then sewn back up and baked.

I didn't eat that .

PostPosted: Thu November 03, 2016 8:41 pm 
The Master

wease wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Goose is great, very similar to duck. Pheasant can be awesome, I think someone didn't cook yours right. Where the hell does one have dove?

I used to date a girl whose dad would go on dove hunts, much like pheasant hunts. He'd bring a mess back and her mom would fry them and she make biscuits & gravy and fried potatoes to have with them. Hot damn, that woman could cook!

Ok, that sounds awesome.

knee tunes wrote:
I know fish isn't wild game but I remember around this same time, helping my friends sew the skin back onto fish that had been gutted, mixed with some tasty other stuff, stuffed, then sewn back up and baked.

Like, literally sewn back together? Crazy. I worked at a french place where they used a lot of "meat glue" (agar agar and the like). It worked really well for a skate dish, in which the chef would scrape the meat off the skate wing, and then layer it with the agar agar to make a thick cut of skate wing. It was delicious.

PostPosted: Thu November 03, 2016 8:51 pm 
for those who
are not...shall be

tragabigzanda wrote:
wease wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Goose is great, very similar to duck. Pheasant can be awesome, I think someone didn't cook yours right. Where the hell does one have dove?

I used to date a girl whose dad would go on dove hunts, much like pheasant hunts. He'd bring a mess back and her mom would fry them and she make biscuits & gravy and fried potatoes to have with them. Hot damn, that woman could cook!

Ok, that sounds awesome.

knee tunes wrote:

Like, literally sewn back together? Crazy. I worked at a french place where they used a lot of "meat glue" (agar agar and the like). It worked really well for a skate dish, in which the chef would scrape the meat off the skate wing, and then layer it with the agar agar to make a thick cut of skate wing. It was delicious.

yes, the fish was cut along the edges,face in tact, top skin peeled back kind of then they did whatever they did to the fishes, then stuffed and sewed back up nicely along the edges. I'd be lying if I said I remembered what we used for thread. maybe thread?

PostPosted: Thu November 03, 2016 8:57 pm 
The Master

knee tunes wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
wease wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Ok, that sounds awesome.

knee tunes wrote:

yes, the fish was cut along the edges,face in tact, top skin peeled back kind of then they did whatever they did to the fishes, then stuffed and sewed back up nicely along the edges. I'd be lying if I said I remembered what we used for thread. maybe thread?

I know that there are old recipes that do similar things with bellies, caul fat, and the like. I've never heard of this with fish, though. Awesome.

PostPosted: Thu November 03, 2016 9:05 pm 
for those who
are not...shall be

tragabigzanda wrote:
knee tunes wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
wease wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Ok, that sounds awesome.

knee tunes wrote:

I know that there are old recipes that do similar things with bellies, caul fat, and the like. I've never heard of this with fish, though. Awesome.

I don't like fish.
do you?

PostPosted: Thu November 03, 2016 9:22 pm 
The Master

I love fish. I grew up overlooking a working seaport, and went on to study fisheries at school. I'm fascinated by the culture and commerce of fishing.

PostPosted: Thu November 03, 2016 9:26 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

It's sexy, it's decadent, it makes me feel like a fish

PostPosted: Thu November 03, 2016 9:27 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

fuck tilapia..

PostPosted: Thu November 03, 2016 9:44 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

doug rr wrote:
fuck tilapia..

Oh doug...

PostPosted: Thu November 03, 2016 9:50 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

durdencommatyler wrote:
doug rr wrote:
fuck tilapia..

Oh doug...

what?

PostPosted: Thu November 03, 2016 9:57 pm 
Major Dude

Tilapia is ok. It's about the only one my wife will eat due to the mild flavor. I love fish.

PostPosted: Thu November 03, 2016 9:57 pm 
Major Dude

Tuna tacos are good too.

PostPosted: Thu November 03, 2016 10:01 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

my favorite recipe for tilapia is on the big green egg....get 2 of those cedar planks that you cook the tilapia on...cook it on high heat for about 3 minutes per side..once its done, throw away the tilapia and eat the cedar planks..

PostPosted: Thu November 03, 2016 10:17 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

PostPosted: Thu November 03, 2016 10:19 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

It sounds like you like tilapia, Joe. I'm kind of team Doug RR on this one. I don't feel passionately about it but I think tilapia is pretty insipid.

PostPosted: Thu November 03, 2016 10:20 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

But what are you eating it with? Because if you're eating by itself, you're doing it wrong. Insipid is only a criticism if you're just munching it on its own.

PostPosted: Thu November 03, 2016 11:58 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Eating Tilapia is like eating a pigeon and considering it poultry.

PostPosted: Fri November 04, 2016 12:13 am 
The Master

Tilapia is a bland, boring fish that A) takes other flavors very well and B) is incredibly resistant to disease, parasites, etc -- and therefore is an excellent candidate for aquaculture, and is typically sold at a very affordable cost.

PostPosted: Wed August 05, 2020 9:13 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Bump

Post subject: Exotic Meat Month at Bull City Burger and Brewery
PostPosted: Fri April 01, 2022 3:48 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

The brewery in Durham offering exotic meats every April. Should I attempt to try any of these?

Ostrich
Yak
Bison
Camel
Bug Burger
Antelope
Reindeer
Elk
Buffalo
Wild Boar
Venison
Kangaroo
Alligator
Scorpion
Tarantula

also offering:

Cricket Pickle Chips w/ Ant Ranch Sauce
Scorpion Paloma
Chocolate Bug Bark
Bug Brownies
Grilled Pineapple and Scorpion Paleta

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining