The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 398 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: HBO Show: Westworld
PostPosted: Thu October 20, 2016 11:29 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Simple Torture wrote:
I was probably a little quick last week to start just spouting off theories; I think it's also important to note that I'm really enjoying the show. This week was a bit clunky with Hopkins' extended exposition bit (and HOLY SHIT that CGI'd young face, that was almost as bad as the baby in Twilight), and I'm not really interested in the buddy-cop stuff between the security guy and the tech girl. What's interesting and daring about the show, I reckon, is that besides McPoyle and his brother-in-law, the other guests are treated as side characters, while the robots get the really interesting storylines.

What if they are robots too? What if they use fake guests to keep things interesting for the real (but repeat) guests. What if everyone is a robot and it's a big experiment to create artificial consciousness? What if Hopkins' big new secret plot is real a Westworld within Westworld, Xzibit style?

But yeah, they have done this right so far. The open-ended mystery feels a bit like first season Lost.

PostPosted: Thu October 20, 2016 12:47 pm 
AnalLog

Really strong start to the series - I just hope they can keep the mystery interesting without getting absurd. It does have a Lost feel to it.

PostPosted: Thu October 20, 2016 2:02 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

jwfocker wrote:
Really strong start to the series - I just hope they can keep the mystery interesting without getting absurd. It does have a Lost feel to it.

Can they make a Robert Aguayo android that can be better than the human version?

PostPosted: Thu October 20, 2016 2:14 pm 
AnalLog

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
jwfocker wrote:

Can they make a Robert Aguayo android that can be better than the human version?

God, please. That would be amazing or give us back that 2nd round pick so there would be a legit WR opposite Evans instead of a undrafted bum. Too real. Too soon.

PostPosted: Thu October 20, 2016 3:21 pm 
mXn

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Do people really not know about the '73 movie? Jesus.

probably just bammer

:wave:

PostPosted: Fri October 21, 2016 4:48 pm 
Future Drummer

Is

Spoiler: show
the man in black Arnold?

PostPosted: Fri October 21, 2016 9:21 pm 
AnalLog

lowlight79 wrote:
Is

the man in black Arnold?

I certainly think so. At least some representation of his consciousness anyway, if not his actual physical self (perhaps he "uploaded" himself into an android).

I think Bernard is definitely an android, especially after the convo between him and Hopkins about Arnold. It just felt very much like the way Hopkins spoke to him is how many of them speak to the hosts. Then there was the conversation with his wife, who said "I don't know if these talks help or hurt." Like that's part of his loop, maybe?

Quick question regarding the guns...we've seen androids shoot and kill other androids, but when those same weapons are fired at guests, there's no damage. How's that work?

PostPosted: Fri October 21, 2016 9:22 pm 
The Master

meatwad wrote:
lowlight79 wrote:
Is

the man in black Arnold?

I certainly think so. At least some representation of his consciousness anyway, if not his actual physical self (perhaps he "uploaded" himself into an android).

I think Bernard is definitely an android, especially after the convo between him and Hopkins about Arnold. It just felt very much like the way Hopkins spoke to him is how many of them speak to the hosts.

Quick question regarding the guns...we've seen androids shoot and kill other androids, but when those same weapons are fired at guests, there's no damage. How's that work?

Their bullets damage humans similar to a paintball. I wonder if the androids' skin/flesh is just weaker to projectiles.

PostPosted: Mon October 24, 2016 12:51 pm 
mXn

Monkey_Driven wrote:
meatwad wrote:
lowlight79 wrote:
Is

the man in black Arnold?

I think Bernard is definitely an android, especially after the convo between him and Hopkins about Arnold. It just felt very much like the way Hopkins spoke to him is how many of them speak to the hosts.

Their bullets damage humans similar to a paintball. I wonder if the androids' skin/flesh is just weaker to projectiles.

I think the bullets, or the robots, have sensors in them or something so when they make contact there is a small explosion.

Anyway I'm quickly losing interest in this show.

PostPosted: Mon October 24, 2016 1:50 pm 
The Master

I dug last night's episode. Lots to think about.

PostPosted: Mon October 24, 2016 2:14 pm 
mXn

Two things I can't get over:

Guests know they can't be shot and killed so that has to take away from the thrill of, say, raiding a gangster's hideout. No?

Rogue robots actually can still kill guests with their hands, knives, etc. What is the safety measure here?

I'll still be watching every week. But not nearly as intrigued as I was after the pilot.

PostPosted: Mon October 24, 2016 2:18 pm 
The Beef

Bammer wrote:

Guests know they can't be shot and killed so that has to take away from the thrill of, say, raiding a gangster's hideout. No?

People still flock to movies, theme park rides, fake haunted houses and manage to get thrilled with no danger of being hurt.

PostPosted: Mon October 24, 2016 2:25 pm 
mXn

ABNorman wrote:
Bammer wrote:

People still flock to movies, theme park rides, fake haunted houses and manage to get thrilled with no danger of being hurt.

I guess it's like hunting. I never understood hunting.

PostPosted: Thu October 27, 2016 2:42 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

Bammer wrote:
Rogue robots actually can still kill guests with their hands, knives, etc. What is the safety measure here?

This was answered with the axe thing in Episode 3: only specific bots are allowed to carry/touch knives, and I'm sure it's in their programming to not lift one against a guest. It's not like they expect them to go rogue.

PostPosted: Thu October 27, 2016 2:47 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

I'm still in because I'm not watching any other TV shows right now, really, but I'm interested in asking: who's the character on this show that we're supposed to identify with, sympathize with, or feel for? If it's supposed to be William, then I'm just not there yet--he's not even a one-dimensional character yet; he's more 1/2-dimensional. I don't think the bots work as relatable characters just yet, although Dolores is making a run for it (but it feels so manufactured that I'm not sure I'll get there). Man In Black, no; Bernard, probably not (since we're all convinced he's a bot); Ford, no. I'm interested and invested in the world that's here, in the idea of the "maze" and the intricate way the world's constructed (such as: the way that the response teams in their space-like suits have been implanted as "folk lore" in case someone forgets to wipe a robot, that's a nice bit), but I'm not invested in the characters very much :?

PostPosted: Wed November 02, 2016 1:45 pm 
mXn

So it appears we've all given up on this show already, eh?

PostPosted: Wed November 02, 2016 1:46 pm 
The Master

Bammer wrote:
So it appears we've all given up on this show already, eh?

I'm still digging it. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed November 02, 2016 2:03 pm 
The Beef

I'm still in, and enjoying it, though hopefully it doesn't drag out answering questions and kicking things off.

PostPosted: Wed November 02, 2016 2:05 pm 
AnalLog

I get the feeling this is all going to be one big tease.

PostPosted: Wed November 02, 2016 2:06 pm 
The Master

ABNorman wrote:
I'm still in, and enjoying it, though hopefully it doesn't drag out answering questions and kicking things off.

I feel like they've been doing a pretty good job of answering questions each episode. I don't really even care about questions being answered though as long as the overall narrative is compelling.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 398 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment