The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 760 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Sun August 14, 2016 1:21 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Fuzzcharger wrote:
evenslow wrote:
Fuzzcharger wrote:
I've just purchased Warpaint online, but I mistakenly bought Warpaint live first by mistake. I hope it's as good as you guys say otherwise I've got 2 albums from that era :lol: :lol: :lol:

Haha not sure it's worth a double-purchase so you'll have to grade it on a curve. Also, don't forget to put it in context of a band that hadn't put out a record in 7 years after taking a long hiatus.

Nevertheless, it's good shit man.

Yeah I'm sure it'll be good. I had a brief listen on u-toob and was into it. I haven't really gone deep in the post-90's stuff and only really started digging in early this year. Was very much just a "best of" kinda guy like KD before that. But am really feeling it, especially Amorica and 3 Snakes. The tunes Wiser Time and Morning Song blow me away everytime too. Will be interesting to spend some time with the 2000's stuff. Are there any good bio's on the band? A brief look only seemed to bring up guitar tab books.

No books as far as I know. Honestly your best bet is listening to the Dean Delray podcast (Let There Be Talk) with Steve Gorman from last year. Gives a TON of insight into the band and Steve is a fantastic storyteller.

http://podbay.fm/show/546210508/e/14119 ... utostart=1

Also, Wiser Time is generally considered the apex of the band. Firing on all cylinders for that one.

PostPosted: Sun August 14, 2016 3:23 pm 
AnalLog

evenslow wrote:
Fuzzcharger wrote:
evenslow wrote:
Fuzzcharger wrote:
I've just purchased Warpaint online, but I mistakenly bought Warpaint live first by mistake. I hope it's as good as you guys say otherwise I've got 2 albums from that era :lol: :lol: :lol:

Haha not sure it's worth a double-purchase so you'll have to grade it on a curve. Also, don't forget to put it in context of a band that hadn't put out a record in 7 years after taking a long hiatus.

Yeah I'm sure it'll be good. I had a brief listen on u-toob and was into it. I haven't really gone deep in the post-90's stuff and only really started digging in early this year. Was very much just a "best of" kinda guy like KD before that. But am really feeling it, especially Amorica and 3 Snakes. The tunes Wiser Time and Morning Song blow me away everytime too. Will be interesting to spend some time with the 2000's stuff. Are there any good bio's on the band? A brief look only seemed to bring up guitar tab books.

No books as far as I know. Honestly your best bet is listening to the Dean Delray podcast (Let There Be Talk) with Steve Gorman from last year. Gives a TON of insight into the band and Steve is a fantastic storyteller.

http://podbay.fm/show/546210508/e/14119 ... utostart=1

Also, Wiser Time is generally considered the apex of the band. Firing on all cylinders for that one.

if you can find it archived somewhere, the 2 hour podcast Gorman did back when Steve Gorman Sports was a podcast (and not an actual Fox Sports Radio show) around the time of the 2010 "farewell" tour kickoff is also required listening

Gorman is easily the most open and honest of the band in terms of their history

PostPosted: Mon August 15, 2016 3:37 am 
Jeff's Infallible Pendulum

evenslow wrote:
Fuzzcharger wrote:

For sure, makes me wonder why they didn't do more dual lead vocals cause those harmonies sit so nice together. To answer my own question it was probably because Chris didn't want to share the limelight but whatever the reason it would have been great if there was more of it.

I did listen to that Gorman podcast which is what had me revisit the Crowes but I should listen to it again. I asked Del Ray on Instagram when he was interviewing Rich Robinson and he said the end of this month.

PostPosted: Mon August 15, 2016 8:44 pm 
AnalLog

http://stevegormansports.com/sgs-episode-15-croweology/

PostPosted: Tue August 16, 2016 3:06 am 

MattA75 wrote:
http://stevegormansports.com/sgs-episode-15-croweology/

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu August 18, 2016 11:39 am 

Is there a definitive online resource for all things Black Crowes re. Bootlegs, band history, recording sessions?

PostPosted: Thu August 18, 2016 1:13 pm 
AnalLog

Fuzzcharger wrote:
Is there a definitive online resource for all things Black Crowes re. Bootlegs, band history, recording sessions?

http://www.crowesbase.com has every setlist/show, and really really detailed information on recording sessions and songs ( including alternate lyrics from early live versions of songs)...it's the best Black Crowes site on the internet (run by Boa, a longtime friend/supporter/taper of the band), it started out as a fan thing but eventually became the quasi official site it is now

The recording session info on that site, at least a lot of it (I know some of it's been updated as more info has come out), was originally on an old site called Frayed, it may still exist as an old stand alone version...that was also a fan thing run by another superfan before it merged with Crowesbase

I don't think it's been updated since early 2015...Boa was updating all of the CRB and Rich Robinson solo stuff on there as well, but I think there was a pretty nasty fallout between him and CR at one point, IIRC...I think it's since been smoothed over (it took a while), but the site still isn't being updated

PostPosted: Thu August 18, 2016 1:32 pm 
AnalLog

Almost a week late, but hard to believe it's now been 10 years since the second coming of the best era of the band ended

The Black Crowes
12 August 2006 - Red Rocks - Morrison, CO [ USA ]
S E T L I S T
Jam -> Waiting Guilty
Hotel Illness
Gone
A Conspiracy
Cursed Diamond
Magic Rooster Blues
Ain't No More Cane On The Brazos
Ballad In Urgency ->
Wiser Time
It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry
Downtown Money Waster -> Jam ->
Share The Ride -> Jam
L.A.
Twice As Hard
Soul Singing
Nonfiction
Remedy
- encore -
Space Captain

PostPosted: Thu August 18, 2016 8:52 pm 
AnalLog

One last tidbit...Rich teased a "surprise" for his Woodstock Sessions shows this weekend...Ford had already been announced, lots of speculation it's Ed, who I'm not even sure has been seen since that last Crowes show he did in 2006

Either way, I'm envious of the lucky fuckers going this weekend, to see Marc and Rich play off each other again would be awesome

PostPosted: Fri August 19, 2016 12:41 am 

MattA75 wrote:
Fuzzcharger wrote:

http://www.crowesbase.com has every setlist/show, and really really detailed information on recording sessions and songs ( including alternate lyrics from early live versions of songs)...it's the best Black Crowes site on the internet (run by Boa, a longtime friend/supporter/taper of the band), it started out as a fan thing but eventually became the quasi official site it is now

The recording session info on that site, at least a lot of it (I know some of it's been updated as more info has come out), was originally on an old site called Frayed, it may still exist as an old stand alone version...that was also a fan thing run by another superfan before it merged with Crowesbase

I don't think it's been updated since early 2015...Boa was updating all of the CRB and Rich Robinson solo stuff on there as well, but I think there was a pretty nasty fallout between him and CR at one point, IIRC...I think it's since been smoothed over (it took a while), but the site still isn't being updated

Excellent, just what I was looking for thanks Matt :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun August 21, 2016 2:15 am 
AnalLog

Rich/Marc/Sven/Ed last night...lucky pricks

PostPosted: Sun August 21, 2016 11:31 pm 
Broken Tamborine

MattA75 wrote:
Rich/Marc/Sven/Ed last night...lucky pricks

Say what? Sounds like a pretty hot gang bang, especially with Sven there.

PostPosted: Mon August 22, 2016 1:58 am 
Rank This Poster

I don't think I have a studio version of that waiting guilty.. does it exist??

PostPosted: Mon August 22, 2016 6:55 am 
AnalLog

i got bugs wrote:
I don't think I have a studio version of that waiting guilty.. does it exist??

the studio version of Waiting Guilty is from the SYMM sessions, and it's more of a simple 3 minute song as a studio cut

PostPosted: Mon August 22, 2016 1:55 pm 
AnalLog

PostPosted: Tue August 23, 2016 10:54 pm 
Broken Tamborine

this thread makes me sad. Like when I think about a lost loved one. I just listening to Descending while watching this gnarly thunderstorm pass through. Brought up some damn good memories.

PostPosted: Sat September 03, 2016 8:24 am 

evenslow wrote:
Fuzzcharger wrote:

So these arrived yesterday. I'm enjoying Warpaint. Not so much that I really needed the Live album too but it's pretty good nonetheless.

PostPosted: Tue September 06, 2016 9:19 am 

Rich Robinson on Let There Be Talk podcast. Half an hour in and it's pretty good!

PostPosted: Fri October 21, 2016 2:19 am 
AnalLog

http://www.rollingstone.com/country/news/rich-robinson-forms-magpie-salute-with-ex-black-crowes-w445345

fuck CRB, give me Rich and Marc and Ed on stage together again

PostPosted: Fri October 21, 2016 4:22 pm 
The Master

MattA75 wrote:

Interesting. Im assuming he has legal rights to play most if not all? Lets get steve gorman in on this

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 760 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 38  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands