The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 97  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Brexit
PostPosted: Thu October 06, 2016 8:42 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

I've been impressed by Theresa May so far.

PostPosted: Thu October 06, 2016 8:58 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Birds in Hell wrote:
I've been impressed by Theresa May so far.

She's rounding up all foreigners and kicking them out Spenno. This is actually happening. Merkel said today there'll be no free market access for Britain without free movement.
May isn't having that. She's gonna battle just about every possible point, blindly regardless of outcome.

PostPosted: Thu October 06, 2016 9:09 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I hear she also eats babies. Baby puppies, no less!

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu October 06, 2016 9:11 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

dimejinky99 wrote:
She's rounding up all foreigners and kicking them out Spenno. This is actually happening.

"Quick, under the bed, kids - Theresa May is coming!"

Citation needed, dime.

That said, a nationalistic conception of state, in the sense that a state has a moral obligation to place the interests of its own citizens before others, is one that I'm in broad agreement with.

Not terribly long ago, it was UK Labour's position too: British workers for British jobs says Brown

PostPosted: Thu October 06, 2016 9:23 pm 

Birds in Hell wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
She's rounding up all foreigners and kicking them out Spenno. This is actually happening.

"Quick, under the bed, kids - Theresa May is coming!"

Citation needed, dime.

That said, a nationalistic conception of state, in the sense that a state has a moral obligation to place the interests of its own citizens before others, is one that I'm in broad agreement with.

Not terribly long ago, it was UK Labour's position too: British workers for British jobs says Brown

There's one. I'll find the other shortly
UK Home Office won't say if Irish people will be exempt from controversial list of foreign workers
http://jrnl.ie/3012274

PostPosted: Thu October 06, 2016 9:28 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

I don't think creating obligations to ensure British companies preferentially employ local staff is quite the same thing as "rounding up foreigners and kicking them out".

PostPosted: Thu October 06, 2016 9:29 pm 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 16971.html

PostPosted: Thu October 06, 2016 9:33 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

None of those articles mention rounding people up and kicking them out of the country.

The first one you posted does reference moves to make it easier for the UK government to deport non-citizens who commit criminal offences, though specifies that this excludes the Irish.

PostPosted: Thu October 06, 2016 9:51 pm 

Birds in Hell wrote:
None of those articles mention rounding people up and kicking them out of the country.

The first one you posted does reference moves to make it easier for the UK government to deport non-citizens who commit criminal offences, though specifies that this excludes the Irish.

Ah cmon. It's widely viewed as the first step in forcing EU nationals in the U.K. to leave. Why else even compile such a list?
Next up is penalising companies with foreign staff or pressuring them to replace those staff with U.K. Citizens. Which makes no sense cos those staff numbers aren't there!!
And the delicious irony is more uk citizens live and work in the EU than foreign workers in the U.K.!

coupled to that, Ireland particularly has seen a massive amount of UK citizens applying for Irish passports as our rules allow that for people with Irish heritage back as far as 2 generations of grandparents.
Our foreign office have had to hire 300 extra staff to deal with the amount of these applications.
It's so laughable.

PostPosted: Thu October 06, 2016 10:00 pm 

If a German minister was to make the same speech May did, saying all business are to provide names of foreign workers and how great Germany was, the UK and world press would go apeshit and that minister would also be charged as it's a serious criminal offence to do that in Germany.
Something called Wiederbetätigung

PostPosted: Thu October 06, 2016 10:01 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

dime's gonna dime.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu October 06, 2016 10:07 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

You're succumbing to hysteria, dime.

PostPosted: Thu October 06, 2016 10:16 pm 

Hardly. Makes no sense for any country to close itself off to its community and then demand it can still take part economically, but no we don't want foreigners coming here anymore.
You're forgetting who stirred all this up and the only reason Brexit passed. Farage and Johnson banging the same drum Trump is.
Im certain I have a lot more family and friends living in the UK than yourself or maybe even anyone here. They all voted against it and now are living in an ugly train headed for its inevitable crash. And the majority of Brits, even the numbskulls who were conned into voting leave, Dont even want to now.
It affects us here too. Hugely. They're out biggest trading partner. Our government right now is working on a Brexit proof budget in order to try shore up against some of the fallout.

That's not hysteria. It's massive implications for everyone on these islands. But thanks for patronising.

PostPosted: Thu October 06, 2016 10:35 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

Needless to say, I think you're wildly mistaken on virtually everything mentioned in your post.

PostPosted: Thu October 06, 2016 11:48 pm 

Birds in Hell wrote:
Needless to say, I think you're wildly mistaken on virtually everything mentioned in your post.

So it's all gonna be fine and no job losses or economic disasters anywhere as a result?

Ok so.

PostPosted: Fri October 07, 2016 7:36 am 
The Beef

This pound business is really messing with my US trip next year.

PostPosted: Fri October 07, 2016 2:15 pm 
The Beef

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/07/lse-brexit-non-uk-experts-foreign-academics

PostPosted: Fri October 07, 2016 3:06 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

ABNorman wrote:

Kinda makes sense. It's a trade deal and there is a question of whose best interests they would look out for.

Post subject: Re: Brexit
PostPosted: Fri October 07, 2016 3:13 pm 
The Beef

Can I just say how pleased I am that I was able to change the title of this thread to get rid of "The". It just felt wrong.

Post subject: Re: Brexit
PostPosted: Fri October 07, 2016 7:04 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

Change it back at once!

(Now I sound like an aggrieved Remainer.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 97  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate