The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post subject: Re: Global Citizen
PostPosted: Tue September 27, 2016 4:36 pm 
The Master

The official video for the Cat Stevens duet.

PostPosted: Tue September 27, 2016 5:26 pm 
Major Dude

Nothingman was ok. Current-Ed vocal tics almost take me completely out of it tho.

PostPosted: Wed September 28, 2016 4:21 pm 
The Master

Monkey_Driven wrote:
The official video for the Cat Stevens duet.

geez, how about a little subtlety, ed?

PostPosted: Wed September 28, 2016 5:30 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

This is something that will no doubt annoy a few people here, so I apologize in advance. But it's something I've been thinking about since I listened to "Out of Sand". The fact is that my first reaction to anything Ed does these days since to be... annoyance. Like there's something about his voice or singing approach that just bugs the hell out of me. I'm trying to examine that. I wonder how much of it is my own changing tastes, how much is Ed's vocal tics increasing dramatically in the last few years, and how much has to do with hanging around this message board where we harp on Ed's every move and we've painted a distorted and unflattering picture of him as a greedy, bumbling dork with no vocal control. Has RM poisoned my perception of him forever? My reaction to that "Nothingman" performance wasn't "wow that's beautiful", it was more like a mixture of exasperation and disgust. I guess that's on me. Maybe I've reached the point of no return with PJ/EV.

PostPosted: Wed September 28, 2016 5:33 pm 
The Master

theplatypus wrote:
This is something that will no doubt annoy a few people here, so I apologize in advance. But it's something I've been thinking about since I listened to "Out of Sand". The fact is that my first reaction to anything Ed does these days since to be... annoyance. Like there's something about his voice or singing approach that just bugs the hell out of me. I'm trying to examine that. I wonder how much of it is my own changing tastes, how much is Ed's vocal tics increasing dramatically in the last few years, and how much has to do with hanging around this message board where we harp on Ed's every move and we've painted a distorted and unflattering picture of him as a greedy, bumbling dork with no vocal control. Has RM poisoned my perception of him forever? My reaction to that "Nothingman" performance wasn't "wow that's beautiful", it was more like a mixture of exasperation and disgust. I guess that's on me. Maybe I've reached the point of no return with PJ/EV.

I have a similar reaction, though it has more to do with him positioning himself as a sort of rock-hippy-shaman, when he's actually a millionaire surfer dude who's married to a model. Which doesn't make him a bad guy or anything. But just sort of annoying. Like, I imagine he considers himself a very deep thinker, and I just don't think he's that guy any more.

PostPosted: Wed September 28, 2016 8:45 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

I also struggle with this to some extent, I found that version of Nothingman really annoying too. Weird timing, wonky pitch, out of breath, the works.

I couldn't care less about his wealth or that he's married to a model, but I do think there's been a bit of a change in his stage persona over the last five or six years. Whether it's because he's more in thrall to Springsteen than ever before or some other reason, he seems a lot more extroverted and comfortable playing the role of rock frontman than he did before. Sometimes he verges into simply being vulgar or crass in a way that I can't imagine him doing on your average 1995 (or even 2005) show. It's quite off-putting.

PostPosted: Wed September 28, 2016 9:07 pm 
The Master

theplatypus wrote:
Quote:

:| this is not good

Clotta bolta lighteneen

PostPosted: Wed September 28, 2016 9:09 pm 
The Master

Has any other rock star's voice aged so horrendously? Jesus.

PostPosted: Wed September 28, 2016 9:13 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

"Don't Dream It's Over" was also horrendous. EV just sounds so wheezy in the chorus. I don't understand how one can listen to that and think it sounds good.

PostPosted: Wed September 28, 2016 9:15 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

Whunce defidead
There's nothing left to subtraCT
Some words when spokendeya
They can't be taken ba

Woks on his ow-ho-wn
With thoughts he can't help thinkern

PostPosted: Wed September 28, 2016 9:50 pm 
AnalLog

Hi everyone. Just wanted to drop by and say Ed sounded great on all the GCF performances, especially Nothingman and Don't Dream It's Over.

Loved the new song, Out of Sand. Prefer the TMR version over the live debut. Those are some good lyrics.

PostPosted: Wed September 28, 2016 10:38 pm 
Major Dude

Birds in Hell wrote:
Whunce defidead
There's nothing left to subtraCT
Some words when spokendeya
They can't be taken ba

Woks on his ow-ho-wn
With thoughts he can't help thinkern

It true. This is a perfect translation.

PostPosted: Thu September 29, 2016 1:45 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

the piano on this nothingman version does not sound good

it's too fast and jumpy, it's dispassionate, it's very trebly, and it's overloaded with klutzy a.d.d. phrasings

Ed's voice was not as bad as it could have been. as far as nouveau Ed's verbal ticks go, this wasn't the worst. but that is not saying much

this version is trying so hard to be something that it is not

the only people who will like this are those with a thin dick

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Thu September 29, 2016 8:29 am 
AnalLog

I am so grateful for having a thin dick if this is the case. Makes me appreciate good music. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu September 29, 2016 4:10 pm 
AnalLog

theplatypus wrote:

Like most here, I fell in love with this band, not because of image, but because the way the music made me feel. Most of that was due to the way Edś vocals made me feel. I had a hard time loving Porch when they dropped the vocal that brought the song back in after the break. I loved ẗhe wrong child" tag because of the way Edś voice filled up the arena. I put Don´t Be Shy from 98 on so many mixed tapes for friends. This one from last week didn´t illicit the same feeling. It´s not some outside force I am imposing on the music, itś what the music is no longer doing for me.

That isn´t to say that Pearl Jam can´t still put me in that place. A lot of LB gave me that great feeling and I am thankful for that. 10/22/14 had some brilliant moments (sleight of hand, OtE, etc.) and was overall a great show. That feeling is just harder to come by with the way Ed sings now.

PostPosted: Thu September 29, 2016 4:56 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Release_Me wrote:
Hi everyone. Just wanted to drop by and say Ed sounded great on all the GCF performances, especially Nothingman and Don't Dream It's Over.

Loved the new song, Out of Sand. Prefer the TMR version over the live debut. Those are some good lyrics.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri October 14, 2016 4:04 pm 
Broken Tamborine

I'm not Coldplays biggest fan but think about what they were doing here, what it was for. Personally I liked the piano for nothing man, gave a new twist to it (not saying I prefer it). I thought Chris sang ok, didn't typecast himself into singing high pitch...

PostPosted: Mon July 09, 2018 11:59 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Ed's playing again. This year in South Africa.

https://www.stereogum.com/2004801/global-citizen-festival-mandela-100-beyonce-jay-z/news/

PostPosted: Tue July 10, 2018 8:25 pm 
Broken Tamborine

What's everyone's thoughts on Ed's speech during People Have the Power? Ill fated considering Trump won?

PostPosted: Wed July 11, 2018 9:42 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i hope he plays All The Way

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live