The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 741 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam - Definitive Live Versions (a Green Habit sequ
PostPosted: Thu September 22, 2016 5:01 am 
Future Drummer

Kevin Davis wrote:
I filled out about half of the spreadsheet tonight -- I'll send it over after I've had a chance to tinker with it a little more, there are a few performances I want to verify. Some songs I'll just leave to other pickers. "Soldier of Love" is not on the spreadsheet -- was this deliberate? For some reason, even if performance count doesn't justify it, I feel like it should be on the comp.

Also, my initial suggestion of using the Bridge School "Better Man" was terrible -- it's a novel version, but really messy. "Romanza" or bust.

Boise 2000 has Romanza and a similar (but more intense) outro to Seattle 2000. I'm going to champion hard for this one (a la the TFC YL crew ;) )

Yes, Soldier of Love should be on there - played 22 times. Can't think of a better version that the Last Kiss single version (DC 1998).

Look forward to seeing your list mate! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu September 22, 2016 5:06 am 
AnalLog

ridleybradout wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
I filled out about half of the spreadsheet tonight -- I'll send it over after I've had a chance to tinker with it a little more, there are a few performances I want to verify. Some songs I'll just leave to other pickers. "Soldier of Love" is not on the spreadsheet -- was this deliberate? For some reason, even if performance count doesn't justify it, I feel like it should be on the comp.

Also, my initial suggestion of using the Bridge School "Better Man" was terrible -- it's a novel version, but really messy. "Romanza" or bust.

Boise 2000 has Romanza and a similar (but more intense) outro to Seattle 2000. I'm going to champion hard for this one (a la the TFC YL crew ;) )

Yes, Soldier of Love should be on there - played 22 times. Can't think of a better version that the Last Kiss single version (DC 1998).

Look forward to seeing your list mate! :thumbsup:

Ditto on all of this - my spreadsheet is half-done. And yes, the Boise "Better Man" is my suggestion too.

PostPosted: Thu September 22, 2016 5:07 am 
tl;dr

A few choices from the Soundboard Series:

"Wash" - Amsterdam '92 (was this Reeder's suggestion? It's staggeringly good. Though I hate how Eddie adds "aw, hell yeah" after "might kill us both tomorrow" at all these early shows -- it sounds like a bad R&B impression)
"I've Got a Feeling" -- also Amsterdam '92 ("Everybody misses Andy/We'll be seein' him in no time" -- pass the Kleenex, please)
"Sonic Reducer" -- Honolulu '92 (screw the version with Mark Arm, this one slays it)
"Daughter" -- Rotterdam '93 (I'm tellin' ya, I know everybody loves the damned "It's OK" tag, but listen to a few Dave A. versions before haphazardly jotting down your selection -- Matt doesn't play this song with near the nuance that Dave did, and it just sounds so much fresher in the early days)
"Leash" -- Rotterdam '93 (almost enough to get me to like this song -- this is the sleeper show of the Soundboard Series, IMO, the growth in maturity in Ed's voice between '92 and '93 is a thing to behold)
"Glorified G" -- DC '95 (overall these '95 soundboards aren't really standing up to comparative scrutiny, but this is one of the few Dave songs that Jack absolutely kills -- those fills are right up his alley)
"MFC" - Melbourne '98 (Eddie is a tad tentative on a couple of the lyrics -- no mess-ups, just a little tentative coming in -- but holy crap, you forget how much better Jack played this than Matt -- it's like hearing the song for the first time again)
"Fuckin' Up" -- Seattle '98 (the raw soundboard vibe of this show is perfect for this song, just viciously crunchy guitars)

I am compelled to want a '92 version of "State of Love and Trust" but none of these versions really justify their inclusion -- Eddie seems consistently "off" in some way or another, like he's just trying to put too much roar into the song. They feel almost comically overdone. Same with the version of "Alone" from Utrecht -- when he gets it right, he really gets it right, but he eventually runs out of steam and talk-sings the second verse. I hate that shit. I'd rather have a PRAMG version. I submit LA4 '09.

Overall I'm really not a fan of the '92 shows. Eddie sounds like such a buffoon on them.

And there is no better version of "Soldier" than the DC '98 one. I've looked. I love, love, love that song.

PostPosted: Thu September 22, 2016 5:42 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Kevin Davis wrote:
I know everybody loves the damned "It's OK" tag

*ahem*

PostPosted: Thu September 22, 2016 5:44 am 
Future Drummer

My favorite Better Man/It's OK is one of the Missouri 2000 shows (I can never remember which one, because I like both). That one is super intense, and I used to play it a lot.

PostPosted: Thu September 22, 2016 6:02 am 
Poster of the Year

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
lowlight79 wrote:
Gonna see my friend 10/30/09

Yes! Only good performance in that entire run, IMO.

I dug Parting Ways.

PostPosted: Thu September 22, 2016 6:05 am 
Poster of the Year

Birds in Hell wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

*ahem*

I want a 2000 Daughter without the It's Ok tag, to be honest with you.

Also, you're spot in with MFC.

PostPosted: Thu September 22, 2016 6:27 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

The first time I ever heard "Daughter" was on a 2000 European boot-- also my first-ever Pearl Jam purchase-- where they tagged it with a cool trippy version of the REM song "The Wrong Child". Not being familiar with either song at the time, I thought that tag was just part of "Daughter". Not advocating for its inclusion, just saying that I still like that version a lot.

PostPosted: Thu September 22, 2016 6:31 am 
Future Drummer

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

*ahem*

I want a 2000 Daughter without the It's Ok tag, to be honest with you.

Milan 2000 is where it's at :nice:

PostPosted: Thu September 22, 2016 7:48 am 
Future Drummer

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
My favorite Better Man/It's OK is one of the Missouri 2000 shows (I can never remember which one, because I like both). That one is super intense, and I used to play it a lot.

I was thinking of "Save It For Later", actually. One of the MO versions is outstanding.

PostPosted: Thu September 22, 2016 1:40 pm 
Broken Tamborine

I think the Black from VFC '95 is awesome. Ed's vocal inflections are very unique

PostPosted: Thu September 22, 2016 1:48 pm 
Future Drummer

Kevin Davis wrote:
"Daughter" -- Rotterdam '93 (I'm tellin' ya, I know everybody loves the damned "It's OK" tag, but listen to a few Dave A. versions before haphazardly jotting down your selection -- Matt doesn't play this song with near the nuance that Dave did, and it just sounds so much fresher in the early days)

I agree, Daughter should be a Dave A version, as I mentioned earlier. After you hear him play it, it just seems like something is missing with Matt.

PostPosted: Thu September 22, 2016 2:09 pm 
The Master

lowlight79 wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Any 2016 version of Corduroy...

:/

We will ban you if this is said again

:poke: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu September 22, 2016 4:25 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Grievance - 6/15/00 (Katowice)

PostPosted: Thu September 22, 2016 4:47 pm 
AnalLog

Kevin Davis wrote:
"I've Got a Feeling" -- also Amsterdam '92 ("Everybody misses Andy/We'll be seein' him in no time" -- pass the Kleenex, please)

I don't think (though I could be wrong) that that lyrical change was unique to that show...the studio version has the same lyrical change, and I'm pretty sure it was pretty regularly changed back in the day during the live performances of it

PostPosted: Thu September 22, 2016 4:50 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

MattA75 wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

I don't think (though I could be wrong) that that lyrical change was unique to that show...the studio version has the same lyrical change, and I'm pretty sure it was pretty regularly changed back in the day during the live performances of it

True...but that version is really good.

PostPosted: Thu September 22, 2016 4:51 pm 
The Master

Betterman from Seattle 00. That tag. "I wanna believe youre in love with me. Here i come, im coming home...!"

PostPosted: Thu September 22, 2016 5:01 pm 
tl;dr

MattA75 wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

Could be, this was just the version that came up in the SRS. Looking at its history, it looks like it's either this one, Fenway '16, or an audience recording (I don't think it's on the Orpheum '94 album, is it?)

PostPosted: Thu September 22, 2016 5:03 pm 
The Master

You have to go an early version of i got a feeling. Some really incredible jamz back in the dayz.

PostPosted: Thu September 22, 2016 6:59 pm 
AnalLog

Kevin Davis wrote:
MattA75 wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

Could be, this was just the version that came up in the SRS. Looking at its history, it looks like it's either this one, Fenway '16, or an audience recording (I don't think it's on the Orpheum '94 album, is it?)

it's not on the Orpheum release, I believe the only complete version of that song's performance is a mix of two different AUD recordings

isn't one of the March 92 performances a soundboard or broadcast or some such? 3/2 maybe?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 741 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 38  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam