The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post subject: State Preemption
PostPosted: Fri September 09, 2016 2:16 pm 
Site Admin

This is evil, evil stuff--and it's largely hypocritcal, too. Most of the state legislators passing these laws would hate it if the feds did this do them.

http://www.slate.com/articles/business/ ... ities.html

For those of you furious at HB2 in North Carolina, that whole mess started with the NC legislature preempting Charlotte.

Post subject: Re: State Preemption
PostPosted: Sat September 10, 2016 3:57 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Green Habit wrote:
This is evil, evil stuff--and it's largely hypocritcal, too. Most of the state legislators passing these laws would hate it if the feds did this do them.

For those of you furious at HB2 in North Carolina, that whole mess started with the NC legislature preempting Charlotte.

My understanding is that in California at least, cities are granted charters by the state and are effectively extensions of the state. Its a bit different than 'soverign' states vs. the feds.

This is not the best mechanism to bring activist city councils to heel, but they seem to find no issues outside the scope of their authority. The City of Oakland run by almost any state legislature would probably work more efficiently than local control.

PostPosted: Sat September 10, 2016 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

simple schoolboy wrote:
Green Habit wrote:

My understanding is that in California at least, cities are granted charters by the state and are effectively extensions of the state. Its a bit different than 'soverign' states vs. the feds.

This is not the best mechanism to bring activist city councils to heel, but they seem to find no issues outside the scope of their authority. The City of Oakland run by almost any state legislature would probably work more efficiently than local control.
Cities will make mistakes, just like any body politic is prone to. But if that's the mistakes their voters want to make, then at least they're making their own bed instead of it getting made for them.

An example here in Boise: the city was once trying to shoehorn Uber into typically antiquated traditional taxi laws. The right thing to do was for Boise to repeal or restructure their own laws...but instead the Idaho Legislature stepped in and did it not just for them but for all cities. Good ends, but terrible means.

PostPosted: Sat September 10, 2016 2:46 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

OMFG! Do I need to list all the bullshit by my state General Assembly again?

- Invalidated town design committees.
- Handed Asheville's water purification to the county.
- Redistricted Wake County's (Raleigh) school district.
- Redistricted Guilford County (Greensboro) county commissioners.
- Invalidated town restrictions on guns in parks, churches, and/or bars.
- Eliminated town minimum wages.
- Invalidated Durham's pollution controls over their reservoir.
- Invalidated all town/county anti-discrimination ordinances.
- Limited town/county tax initiatives to every other year.
- Invalidated a previous sale of land from the state to the city of Raleigh.

Maybe there are others I'm forgetting.

PostPosted: Sat September 10, 2016 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

B wrote:

Idaho also invalidated local minimum wage hikes after McCall, a resort town that's close to my heart, put such a measure on the ballot. They also forbade gun bans on university campuses, which resulted in this hilarious article.

They also forbade cities from enacting plastic bag bans, even though absolutely no one was even coming close to considering it.

PostPosted: Mon September 12, 2016 12:40 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Green Habit wrote:
They also forbade cities from enacting plastic bag bans, even though absolutely no one was even coming close to considering it.

I think our state did this too. Some of our coastal counties had bans in place.

PostPosted: Mon September 12, 2016 2:42 pm 
Rank This Poster

Green Habit wrote:

Oh this stuff drives me absolutely crazy. Its another indication of just how full of shit most of our politicians are.

The best government is local. At higher levels, they should be protecting the smaller governments ability to function, the rights of all citizens and national security.

If some town in bumblefuck NC wants HB2 let them have it. If Asheville and Charlotte don't let them live the way they want to freaking live.

All this talk of elections and voting and your vote counting, then the higher levels block that and impose their will anyway. It's nonsense.

At the end of the day, it's a stupid law that is woefully unenforceable and has cost the state millions because of pig headed legislators.

PostPosted: Sat September 24, 2016 1:40 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

PostPosted: Sat September 24, 2016 3:23 am 
The Master

Green Habit wrote:
B wrote:

Idaho also invalidated local minimum wage hikes after McCall, a resort town that's close to my heart, put such a measure on the ballot. They also forbade gun bans on university campuses, which resulted in this hilarious article.

Where are you in ID? One of my great uncles lived in McCall. I think he worked a dredge in Stanley Basin? My dad's family is from Placerville.

PostPosted: Sat September 24, 2016 2:08 pm 
Site Admin

tragabigzanda wrote:
Where are you in ID? One of my great uncles lived in McCall. I think he worked a dredge in Stanley Basin? My dad's family is from Placerville.
Boise. Both Stanley and Placerville are to the east of the highway that connects Boise and McCall.

PostPosted: Sat September 24, 2016 2:25 pm 
The Master

Green Habit wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Boise. Both Stanley and Placerville are to the east of the highway that connects Boise and McCall.

Man, Boise has changed a lot over the last five years or so. I still have cousins there. We visited in '09, and it was the same town is been visiting since I was a kid. Then we went last year, and there were a ton of hip restaurants and whatnot. We really liked that donut shop/French fry bar.

PostPosted: Sun September 25, 2016 2:52 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Yeah, we ate at the Boise Fry Company when we were there in June

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:52 pm 
Site Admin

:finger:

Texas Gov. Greg? Abbott signs "sanctuary cities" bill into law

When I saw Nate Silver & Co. speak in Boise a couple months ago, they brought our mayor up onto the stage to talk for a bit. One thing he mentioned was his declaration of Boise as a "welcoming city", and how very meticulous he had to be in his wording (even though it was clear he sympathizes with the sanctuary city concept) so that he wouldn't be attracting the Idaho Legislature from pulling shit like this.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:33 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Yeah, Texas also is considering (or has passed at this point) making all local plastic bag bans illegal. NC is doing that too b/c the Outer Banks banned them a couple of years ago.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:43 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

B wrote:
Yeah, Texas also is considering (or has passed at this point) making all local plastic bag bans illegal. NC is doing that too b/c the Outer Banks banned them a couple of years ago.

:thumbsup: Dog owners used to have these to use, but alas no more. We have to pay for poop bags now. :shake:

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:19 pm 
Site Admin

simple schoolboy wrote:
:thumbsup: Dog owners used to have these to use, but alas no more. We have to pay for poop bags now. :shake:
Pretty much every dog owner I know agrees with you. I think the case for plastic bag bans is weak, but if citizens of a local government think it's in their best interest for their community through representative democracy, then that should be their choice to make.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:41 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

I found this amazing. 75% of people take a free plastic bag. That drops to 16% when you charge 10 cents per bag. Most people don't need a bag, and a small free is all it takes to make people think for a couple seconds and realize that.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:08 pm 
The Master

We have stopped using our cloth grocery bags because A) plastic bags get re-used in our bathroom trash bins, and B) paper bags get re-used for either recycling of other paper products, or for our cat to play with.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:37 pm 
Poster of the Year

tragabigzanda wrote:
We have stopped using our cloth grocery bags because A) plastic bags get re-used in our bathroom trash bins, and B) paper bags get re-used for either recycling of other paper products, or for our cat to play with.

A doesn't really matter because those plastic bags you reuse still eventually end up in the trash.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:49 pm 
Site Admin

cutuphalfdead wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
A doesn't really matter because those plastic bags you reuse still eventually end up in the trash.
But it additionally serves the purpose of keeping the trash can cleaner.

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate