The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post subject: Mastered for iTunes
PostPosted: Sun July 24, 2016 7:07 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Has anybody listened much to these? I was previewing No Code, seeing as how a 24-bit mastering might be an improvement over the old CD rips I may or may not still be using (who can keep track anymore), and discovered a lyric change in Who You Are ("Avalanche, falling fast, driving winds, happenstance..."). I haven't looked, but a comment there claims that they used a different Alive solo on the MfiT version of Ten.

Are these changes that were introduced on Rearviewmirror, a case of "the engineer doesn't know the right take to use," or what?

Post subject: Re: Mastered for iTunes
PostPosted: Sun July 24, 2016 9:11 pm 
The Master

WTF? This is headed towards Lucas-retooling-the-original-trilogy levels of pointless tinkering. Good thing I gave up on having a complete collection around the time the Rearviewmirror comp came out.

PostPosted: Sun July 24, 2016 9:26 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

tragabigzanda wrote:
WTF? This is headed towards Lucas-retooling-the-original-trilogy levels of pointless tinkering. Good thing I gave up on having a complete collection around the time the Rearviewmirror comp came out.

I remember quite clearly see the RVM comp for the first time, picking it up and placing it back on the shelf.

PostPosted: Sun July 24, 2016 11:33 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Yeah it's weird

Beyond that, like a lot of mastered for iTunes stuff, it's neither the quality improvement you'd really like to have nor completely inconsequential. Little impacts you'd expect from 24-bit (and, thankfully, apple's strict clipping rules for the "MfiT" brand)...a tad more instrument separation, a teensy bit better dynamic "feel," etc. Pilate sounds really good through my monitor phones.

I might actually pick a few of these up and listen to some Pearl Jam albums I haven't heard in a while. Shame they stopped at Yield.

PostPosted: Mon July 25, 2016 1:34 am 
"I didn't get my Christmas single until September."

Is that the same lyrical change/alternate vocal take that was included on the RVM version of Who You Are?

(Not that I've ever noticed as I have no idea what the original lyrics were.)

Makes me wonder what master they're using on the upcoming vinyl reissue.

PostPosted: Mon July 25, 2016 1:47 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

No way do I believe they did a run on 24 for this, and will then also do one for a vinyl reissue.

But then based on the samples, the Ten MfiT is the original mix in 24, and I would have expected just the last remix without any changes up there

PostPosted: Mon July 25, 2016 2:47 pm 
The Master

yea that lyric change is on the RVM comp take.

PostPosted: Wed July 27, 2016 3:04 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Strat wrote:

And now it's on the record. Eventually, I suppose the original lyric version will be a find.

That aside, I hope they don't remaster No Code. This version gives exactly what I would have wanted from that, but not gotten: a slightly clearer, more textured capture of the record, without the accompanying revisionism or dynamics abuse.

PostPosted: Sun July 31, 2016 10:30 am 
McParadigm wrote:
Strat wrote:

And now it's on the record. Eventually, I suppose the original lyric version will be a find.

That aside, I hope they don't remaster No Code. This version gives exactly what I would have wanted from that, but not gotten: a slightly clearer, more textured capture of the record, without the accompanying revisionism or dynamics abuse.

I think they will do a remaster, and it'll be a complete poop chute version of it.

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam