The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 97  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Brexit
PostPosted: Wed July 13, 2016 7:25 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Green Habit wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
So Teresa May is now the British prime minister.

And she's made Boris Johnson foreign secretary.

This has disaster writ large all over it.
What kind of disaster do you foresee?

a leader who is at best regressive on all important social issues hiring an insular and bullheaded anti EU moron as the foreign secretary, does nothing but make the brexit issue a whole lot worse than it was already.

PostPosted: Wed July 13, 2016 7:52 pm 

This. In short. And yes that's boris

PostPosted: Wed July 13, 2016 9:43 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

The more I read about May, the more I'm becoming fond of her.

dime, I'm not sure why you feel she would be more regressive on social issues than any other option - for instance:

Boris is an engaging and intelligent guy and was a very effective advocate for the Leave cause, I can see the sense in having him responsible for Britian's foreign relations right now.

PostPosted: Wed July 13, 2016 10:17 pm 

Not in any aggressive response but you Really should read up on both of them before locking that thought in.

Nobody in Britain wants Boris near the top outside of the super rich and his own ego. He doesn't want the PM job cos it is all about being in power but he's not interested in responsibility.

This is a disaster on a big level.

PostPosted: Wed July 13, 2016 10:42 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

dimejinky99 wrote:

This seems a bit dramatic.

PostPosted: Wed July 13, 2016 11:29 pm 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

Haha, Boris is going to be woefully inadequate. The UK is mental!

PostPosted: Wed July 13, 2016 11:33 pm 

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/ ... ulted.html

Quote:
A Partial List of Countries and Leaders New British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson Has Insulted

On Wednesday, newly minted British Prime Minister Theresa May announced that former London mayor Boris Johnson is joining her government as foreign secretary.

The notoriously wild-haired Johnson is a controversial pick for a few reasons, not least among them that he made no bones about his distaste for outgoing Conservative prime minister David Cameron, whose government he faulted for inducing “a kind of hysteria, a contagious mourning” in the wake of the Brexit referendum.

But Johnson also has a track record of questionable statements and a penchant for insult directed at other foreign leaders and countries—many of whom will presumably occupy the majority of his time and energy as foreign secretary.

So to congratulate him on his new job, here’s a quick and far-from-comprehensive tour of some of Johnson’s most objectionable quips, writings, and remonstrations in the realm of foreign policy.

In 2003, Johnson described U.S. President George W. Bush as “a cross-eyed Texan warmonger, unelected, inarticulate, who [epitomizes] the arrogance of American foreign policy” in an unsigned editorial in the Spectator.

In a 2005 Telegraph column, he wrote “…compared with the old British Empire, and the new American imperium, Chinese cultural influence is virtually nil, and unlikely to increase….Chinese culture seems to stay firmly in China. Indeed, high Chinese culture and art are almost all imitative of western forms…. The number of Chinese Nobel prizes won on home turf is zero, though there are of course legions of bright Chinese trying to escape to Stanford and Caltech.” Three years later, Chinese media decried him as “arrogant, rude and disrespectful” when accepting the Olympic flag from China during the 2008 games:

In a 2006 column, also for the Telegraph, Johnson wrote “For 10 years we in the Tory Party have become used to Papua New Guinea-style orgies of cannibalism and chief-killing.” After backtracking furiously, he said he would “add Papua New Guinea to my global itinerary of apology.”

Last December, he advocated joining forces with Russian President Vladimir Putin and Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, saying it is not “morally impossible” to work with them to defeat ISIS.
In an op-ed published in April, he claimed President Obama removed a bust of Winston Churchill from the Oval Office upon assuming the presidency in 2009 because “it was a symbol of the part-Kenyan president’s ancestral dislike of the British empire—of which Churchill had been such a fervent defender,” comments several leading British members of Parliament (rightly) condemned as racist.

In May, he claimed top prize in a Spectator magazine poetry competition challenging contestants to pen offensive lyrics about Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan with a limerick that referred to Erdogan as “a terrific wankerer” and imagined him having intercourse with a goat. Cheeky.

He’s also ripped into the EU, lambasting its trade and tariff policies and comparing its continent-unifying aspirations to Napoleon Bonaparte’s nineteenth-century attempts at European domination and Adolf Hitler’s vision of German expansionism: “Napoleon, Hitler, various people tried this out, and it ends tragically,” he said in a May interview with the Telegraph. “The EU is an attempt to do this by different methods.”

And regardless of which way the U.S. presidential election tips come November, Johnson seems to have rankled both presumptive nominees in equal measure. During Hillary Clinton’s first run for the White House, in 2007, Johnson referred to her as “a sadistic nurse in a mental hospital,” criticizing her for embodying “purse-lipped political correctness,” and reviving a long-discredited conspiracy theory that claims she and then-President Bill Clinton conspired to murder Vince Foster, a close friend and White House aide who committed suicide in 1993.

And in March, Johnson said he’s “genuinely worried” that Donald Trump will be elected president. That happened after Johnson was apparently mistaken for the business mogul during a trip to New York. “The only reason I wouldn’t go to some parts of New York is the real risk of meeting Donald Trump,” he said.

Best of luck, Boris.

PostPosted: Wed July 13, 2016 11:40 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Based on what he said about Bush, Hillary and Trump, I love the guy already.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed July 13, 2016 11:55 pm 

Birds in Hell wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

This seems a bit dramatic.

This seems like you need to read about his history and background before you agree with him. I doubt you will agree if you have or will.

PostPosted: Thu July 14, 2016 12:10 am 

BurtReynolds wrote:

Yes, but as accurate or amusing as those comments might be, you definitely shouldn't say those types of things publicly if you are Mayor of London or British Foreign Secretary.

PostPosted: Thu July 14, 2016 12:24 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

zeb wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

Yes, but as accurate or amusing as those comments might be, you definitely shouldn't say those types of things publicly if you are Mayor of London or British Foreign Secretary.

Yeah God forbid they speak honestly.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu July 14, 2016 12:25 am 
Site Admin

BurtReynolds wrote:
zeb wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Ruth Bader Ginsburg :thumbsup: s this post.

PostPosted: Thu July 14, 2016 12:51 am 

BurtReynolds wrote:
zeb wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

Or diplomatically.

PostPosted: Thu July 14, 2016 2:17 am 

Birds in Hell wrote:
Boris is an engaging and intelligent guy and was a very effective advocate for the Leave cause, I can see the sense in having him responsible for Britian's foreign relations right now.

He's being cordoned off from the Brexit stuff, Spenno. Someone else will be handling that.

PostPosted: Thu July 14, 2016 6:37 am 
The Beef

Essentially he's been given a role right up his alley:useless figurehead.

With the Brexit minister and an international trade minister, Johnson's job is essentially to go and bang the drum about Britain, conveniently staying out of the business end of Brexit, and largely being out of the country and May's hair.

PostPosted: Thu July 14, 2016 1:39 pm 
Rank This Poster

Wait a minute.... did a Brit actually speak about someone else's "Arrogant Foreign Policy"?

Care to revise that mate?

PostPosted: Sun July 17, 2016 7:22 am 
The Beef

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36818055

PostPosted: Sat August 20, 2016 1:16 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

So far Western civilisation does not seem to have been significantly affected.

PostPosted: Tue October 04, 2016 8:17 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

This made me laugh pretty hard

PostPosted: Thu October 06, 2016 7:41 pm 

This is satire but effectively what Theresa May said yesterday. Funny article give it a read

"Can All The Migrants From The Countries We Invaded Go Away Now Please"

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2016/1 ... ow-please/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 97  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate