The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Courtney Barnett Deserves A Thread
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:44 pm 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
passion will always be vital.

Hmm. Maybe. I'm not sure if this is true of everything. Those performances felt passionate, but not vital. At least to me. I think passion is just one component of artistic vitality.

It's vital to someone somewhere precisely because of her passion. But it will fail to have a deep impact with a broader, older audience who's already been exposed to musicians of her ilk.

That's an interesting point. When you frame it that way, I could see how artists like her could lead to a larger resurgence down the road. It seems inevitable that at some point kids are going to start rebelling against what's popular now and looking for something different they can identify with, and a passionate, analog rocker like CB might look like a pretty appealing alternative to all the heavily-produced, electronic-based stuff that's in right now.

She is so goddamn retro she is ahead of the curve

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:46 pm 
The Master

Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

Hmm. Maybe. I'm not sure if this is true of everything. Those performances felt passionate, but not vital. At least to me. I think passion is just one component of artistic vitality.

It's vital to someone somewhere precisely because of her passion. But it will fail to have a deep impact with a broader, older audience who's already been exposed to musicians of her ilk.

That's an interesting point. When you frame it that way, I could see how artists like her could lead to a larger resurgence down the road. It seems inevitable that at some point kids are going to start rebelling against what's popular now and looking for something different they can identify with, and a passionate, analog rocker like CB might look like a pretty appealing alternative to all the heavily-produced, electronic-based stuff that's in right now.

Well, don't misunderstand me: I don't think "retro" is the future. A retreat from slick pop production might be, but I don't think rock can truly become relevant again unless it moves beyond "retro" and becomes somehow progressive and new.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:48 pm 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

Well, don't misunderstand me: I don't think "retro" is the future. A retreat from slick pop production might be, but I don't think it can truly become relevant again unless it moves beyond "retro" and becomes somehow progressive and new.

I honestly think music is going to be exactly what it is today. Radio stations are now completely irrelevant as they all have the exact same playlist of top 20 songs. Pop music will dominate, gloss production etc. The masses will always eat it up. Then you will have all these other minor outlets to find music like spotify, through the internet, etc...but they will never crack the mainstream. everything sucks. everybody dies and only kanye and beyonce rule the world with every couple years Britney re-appearing in some new skanky bikini lip synching her terrible music.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:55 pm 
The Master

Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

Well, don't misunderstand me: I don't think "retro" is the future. A retreat from slick pop production might be, but I don't think it can truly become relevant again unless it moves beyond "retro" and becomes somehow progressive and new.

I honestly think music is going to be exactly what it is today. Radio stations are now completely irrelevant as they all have the exact same playlist of top 20 songs. Pop music will dominate, gloss production etc. The masses will always eat it up. Then you will have all these other minor outlets to find music like spotify, through the internet, etc...but they will never crack the mainstream. everything sucks. everybody dies and only kanye and beyonce rule the world with every couple years Britney re-appearing in some new skanky bikini lip synching her terrible music.

I don't know about that. I get why you say it, and I get why it's totally possible, but when in history has music ever remained completely static like that? Everything has always been a progression. Hell, even just in the last 5-10 years, the sound of what's popular has changed a lot, even if it has remained primarily pop-oriented. But pop was still present, relevant, and popular in the '90s when bands like Nirvana and Metallica also rose to dominance. Pop will remain, but it will not necessarily retain a complete stranglehold on the culture. Artists get restless, and it's only a matter of time before one comes along that taps into something culturally vital, something that connects with people and excites them, and that can set off ripples of creativity and start a new movement. I think it's bound to happen. It may or may not be rock, but something new will come and things will shift.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:56 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
fucking hell that was great

probably a stretch, but their performances remind me a lot of Nirvana

I thought the same thing during the second song. Definitely some Nirvana influence there.

For sure. But going back to the "rock is dead" comments made by someone somewhere on RM this morning, does anyone else feel like for all Barnett's obvious passion and sincerity, there's something inescapably retro/throwback about this sort of music now?

I don't know if it's purposely a throwback, it's just that we're seeing people creating music who are influenced by the same bands we grew up with. So inherently it will remind us of 'the glory days'

I think it's more than that. The music, from what I heard, feels like its looking backwards. It doesn't feel like any kind of evolution from things I've already heard. It doesn't sound new or different - just solid rock music. It doesn't feel exciting or vital to me. Which makes it seem like it's dwelling in the past.

I dont listen to her, i dont know her albums at all, but i saw those songs in SNL and thought about Nirvana...but not a good way.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:03 pm 
Production Police

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

Well, don't misunderstand me: I don't think "retro" is the future. A retreat from slick pop production might be, but I don't think rock can truly become relevant again unless it moves beyond "retro" and becomes somehow progressive and new.

I think Pussy Riot is probably the most recent widely-relevant rock band.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:04 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

That wasn't for musical reasons, though. No one actually listened to them.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:06 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

VinylGuy wrote:
I dont listen to her, i dont know her albums at all, but i saw those songs in SNL and thought about Nirvana...but not a good way.

those two songs aren't entirely representative of her music methinks.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:09 pm 
Rank This Poster

BurtReynolds wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

I agree.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:13 pm 
Production Police

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

That wasn't for musical reasons, though. No one actually listened to them.

Didn't people in Russia? I'm just assuming.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:25 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

BurtReynolds wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

Cool.

I felt she was really trying, seemed honest, but everything screamed ¨ ey i like the 90s so so much!!¨ i was waiting for J Mascis or Kim Gordon to appear.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:08 pm 
Rank This Poster

I kinda get what you say, especially after these performances but I really dont get that feeling when listening to her albums.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:29 pm 
Production Police

It's sort of too bad that her record and the Ex-Hex record sound so much alike.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:56 pm 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

VinylGuy wrote:
I felt she was really trying, seemed honest, but everything screamed ¨ ey i like the 90s so so much!!¨ i was waiting for J Mascis or Kim Gordon to appear.

:?

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:58 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

A Courtney Barnett, J Mascis, Kim Gordon combo sounds kinda awesome to me.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:59 pm 

Yes it does.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:12 am 

http://www.tonedeaf.com.au/480095/court ... -night.htm

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:57 am 
Rank This Poster

:luv:

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:08 pm 
Future Drummer

VinylGuy wrote:
Possibly not that big a difference from Nirvana but I find Courtney to be very similar to Breeders. Cannonball would not stick out an any of Courtney's albums.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:18 pm 
Production Police

surfndestroy wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Possibly not that big a difference from Nirvana but I find Courtney to be very similar to Breeders. Cannonball would not stick out an any of Courtney's albums.

Her voice actually reminds me of the girl from Elastica.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands