The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 507 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam Cancels Their NC Show?
PostPosted: Thu April 21, 2016 4:30 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Maybe there is no right or wrong here. Maybe there are pros and cons to all these approaches. Maybe the artist just has to do what they feel is right.

Get the fuck outta here with your reasonableness, chud.

PostPosted: Thu April 21, 2016 4:56 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

spike wrote:
B wrote:
spike wrote:
Quote:
Father John Misty, the folk singer-songwriter whose real name is Josh Tillman, tells Rolling Stone that he will donate the proceeds of his April 27th show at the Fillmore Charlotte in Charlotte, North Carolina to Time Out Youth, a Charlotte-based LGBT support center.

High-profile artists like Bruce Springsteen, Ringo Starr, Pearl Jam and Boston have canceled upcoming North Carolina concerts in protest of the controversial HB2 bill, which was signed into law March 23rd. The so-called "bathroom bill" would allow North Carolina businesses to deny service to the LGBT community and force transgender people to use bathrooms that correspond to their birth gender.

In a statement to Rolling Stone, Tillman said that playing the North Carolina concert doesn't mean he endorses the bill.

"The bill is obviously bullshit," Tillman said. "[If] I thought playing a show for my fans in North Carolina was in any way some tacit endorsement of this fearful, petty, ignorant nonsense, I wouldn't. I also play states that have oppressive drug laws designed to imprison the disenfranchised, rig elections, deny women their dignity, defend the reckless and insane practice of selling guns and sustain a permanent underclass with hypocritical, opportunist readings of archaic documents written by land-stealers who never intended political privilege to extend past their buddies.

"These are obviously all huge systemic problems," he adds. "But for me, this show represents a start in investing in the plight of other Americans."

Tillman is one of numerous performers donating the proceeds of their concerts to LGBT-supporting foundations and charities. Last week, Cyndi Lauper wrote on her website that she will donate the profits of her June 4th concert in Raleigh, North Carolina to Equality North Carolina, an organization working to repeal HB2.

Fuck, it's painful to know that the boycott movement won't be bolstered by the economic powerhouse that is Father John Misty.

i just thought it was a pretty good quote and provides perspective.

Yeah, I shouldn't be so sarcastic. His boycotting wouldn't generate very many headlines. "Who the fuck is that? Who cares if he's not playing?" For that kind of artist, just play and give the money to a charity. For Pearl Jam, there's an economic impact, but there's also a headline factor. Pearl Jam and Bruce resulted in nonstop, national coverage about these dipshits. That's WAY more painful than had they just played and given the money to charity. No national reporters pick up, "Pearl Jam gave concert proceeds to NC Equality."

PostPosted: Thu April 21, 2016 5:01 pm 
The Master

Look, its all good folks. Both sides of this boycotting aspect are doing good things.

I thin FJM is brilliant and amazing but the impact of cancelling his show is not even in the ballpark of PJ cancelling theirs. Lets be honest there. And the money that FJM donates from the show will probably not even touch the money pj is also donating not playing.

That being said, its great that both of these things can happen and this conversation started because Bruce pulled the plug on his shows. Its awesome.

PostPosted: Fri April 22, 2016 5:34 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

I don't know if anyone said this, but I think it's telling that Eddie was alone on stage in Virginia when he explained why they cancelled the NC show. And then performed alone in the song dedicated to the LGBT people.

PostPosted: Fri April 22, 2016 8:21 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I thought it was courageous for PJ to take a stand like that; the more we press North Carolina w/ boycotts and shame, the more likely the state will bend on this ridiculous law. This has to hurt the folks behind the money grab thread. :D Just kiddn', glad to see some of those getting behind the band on this. :nice:

PostPosted: Fri April 22, 2016 9:19 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

The Argonaut wrote:
I don't know if anyone said this, but I think it's telling that Eddie was alone on stage in Virginia when he explained why they cancelled the NC show. And then performed alone in the song dedicated to the LGBT people.

What does it say to you? That the rest of the band wasn't behind the move?

PostPosted: Fri April 22, 2016 9:41 pm 

theplatypus wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:

Yes. Have we heard from anyone other than Eddie yet?

PostPosted: Fri April 22, 2016 9:55 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

The Argonaut wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:

DOn't they all have mics? Couldn't they have stepped up in Hampton if they disagreed?

PostPosted: Fri April 22, 2016 9:57 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Haha it would be great if the show turned into a live debate.

PostPosted: Fri April 22, 2016 10:00 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

:lol:

Seriously, Ed used the pronoun "we," so I think we can assume at least 2 other band members felt the same. I would bet cancelling a show would have to be a unanimous decision.

PostPosted: Fri April 22, 2016 11:32 pm 
Production Police

B wrote:
:lol:

Seriously, Ed used the pronoun "we," so I think we can assume at least 2 other band members felt the same. I would bet cancelling a show would have to be a unanimous decision.

And I'd bet money that Jeff was opposed. He's talked quite a bit about the value of art to him when he was living in a creatively desolate town growing up.

PostPosted: Sat April 23, 2016 12:03 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

So what's worse, Pearl Jam canceling a show at the last minute or Pearl Jam making people listen to them eulogize Prince (complete with hoisted wine bottle)?

PostPosted: Sat April 23, 2016 12:12 am 
Posting (live)

McParadigm wrote:
So what's worse, Pearl Jam canceling a show at the last minute or Pearl Jam making people listen to them eulogize Prince (complete with hoisted wine bottle)?

Is there room for option C. Getting 15,000 people to sing happy birthday to your mother.

PostPosted: Sat April 23, 2016 12:37 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Jesus you guys

PostPosted: Sat April 23, 2016 12:45 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Jesus you guys

It's the prince thing tho right?

PostPosted: Sat April 23, 2016 12:58 am 

B wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:

DOn't they all have mics? Couldn't they have stepped up in Hampton if they disagreed?

I'm not talking about violent argument. I'm talking about disagreement and acquiescence. Maybe even only one or two guys.

PostPosted: Sat April 23, 2016 12:59 am 
Stone's Bitch

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Jesus you guys

PostPosted: Sat April 23, 2016 1:21 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

evenslow wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Jesus you guys

People know him from the ways he looked, and the different ways he looked, and different things he said – a lot of incredible things to remember him by. But I gotta tell you, and you just saw some great guitar playing. Prince was probably the greatest guitar player we've ever seen.

PostPosted: Sat April 23, 2016 1:22 am 
The Master

McParadigm wrote:
evenslow wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Jesus you guys

People know him from the ways he looked, and the different ways he looked, and different things he said – a lot of incredible things to remember him by. But I gotta tell you, and you just saw some great guitar playing. Prince was probably the greatest guitar player we've ever seen.

Shut up

PostPosted: Sat April 23, 2016 1:24 am 
Production Police

McParadigm wrote:
evenslow wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Jesus you guys

When did your feelings for PJ change to predominantly hate, McP? Like, what was the last straw?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 507 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam