The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 507 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Will Pearl Jam Cancel Their NC Show?
PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 9:56 pm 
AnalLog

silly. do they really think they're that important? this does nothing but screw fans over.

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 10:00 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

A cultural boycott can be as powerful almost as a financial boycott.

Man those NC politicians are gonna get slaughtered in the next election. Especially if companies pulling out is sustained.

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 10:05 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Happened quickly in Georgia when Disney and others threatened to pull out when a similar law was presented to Governor.

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 10:07 pm 

Man I'd say the official board is in meltdown right now

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 10:12 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

The real lesson to learn here is that you should be like Mississippi and have so little to lose that no one can boycott you.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 10:20 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

dimejinky99 wrote:

Man those NC politicians are gonna get slaughtered in the next election. Especially if companies pulling out is sustained.

I don't think you understand southern politics. This will have no effect on any election

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 10:21 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Can we have the thread title amended?

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 10:21 pm 

Hand on my heart if the European tour that was to happen last summer took place and they boycotted Dublin cos Ireland didn't pass the marriage equality referendum, I'd have supported them. And they haven't been here in 6 years. Fair enough I travel to a few shows on the continent anyways but I'd have agreed with them boycotting here.

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 10:23 pm 
The Master

BurtReynolds wrote:
The real lesson to learn here is that you should be like Mississippi and have so little to lose that no one can boycott you.

No, the lesson to be learned is don't live in the fucking south.

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 10:23 pm 

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

I don't think you understand southern politics. This will have no effect on any election

Point remains. Whoever passed this, and supported it, no matter their number, will very soon find their positions are no longer tenible. Any other democratic nation would be screaming for them to stand down.

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 10:25 pm 
AnalLog

dimejinky99 wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

Point remains. Whoever passed this, and supported it, no matter their number, will very soon find their positions are no longer tenible. Any other democratic nation would be screaming for them to stand down.

what percentage of people who had tickets to the show support the state's position, if anyone were to guess?

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 10:25 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Kinda shitty that they delayed their decision. I bet they were planning on cancelling for awhile.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 10:26 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

dimejinky99 wrote:

Don't assume a decent amount of people in the state don't agree with this law.

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 10:29 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

I have a very difficult time believing any legislator gives two hoots what Bruce Springsteen or Eddie Vedder think about this issue.

The reality is that there is probably a substantial amount of people who live in North Carolina who support the law, or the intent behind it, in some form. I'll admit I have only a cursory understanding of the bill but it nevertheless makes me uncomfortable seeing a contrary opinion treated as illegitimate, as though conservative governments elected by popular vote have no right to pursue conservative social policy (and I believe a number of NC Democrats also voted for the bill so it's not as though there wasn't bipartisan support of some degree).

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 10:31 pm 
The Master

Birds in Hell wrote:
I have a very difficult time believing any legislator gives two hoots what Bruce Springsteen or Eddie Vedder think about this issue.

The reality is that there is probably a substantial amount of people who live in North Carolina who support the law, or the intent behind it, in some form. I'll admit I have only a cursory understanding of the bill but it nevertheless makes me uncomfortable seeing a contrary opinion treated as illegitimate, as though conservative governments elected by popular vote have no right to pursue conservative social policy (and I believe a number of NC Democrats also voted for the bill so it's not as though there wasn't bipartisan support of some degree).

It is an illegitimate opinion. It's maddening. Brutal and shouldn't be a part of our world in 2016

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 10:31 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Basically, I agree with what they did in principle, but they should have announced earlier. Even a few days earlier would have made it a lot easier for people to recoup lost money.

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 10:35 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Birds in Hell wrote:

:thumbsup: Agreed.

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 10:37 pm 

numbers wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

Oh I know that. But there are those that do and however big or small their number it's the law in the state. Best way to fight that is hit them in their pockets. Raleigh just lost maybe a million or two in tourist dollars from just one show. Do that repeatedly over a year As well as companies setting up elsewhere and regular tourist people not visiting there as a result and you have a huge loss to state revenues and employment quite quickly.

Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam Cancels Their NC Show?
PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 10:37 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

It should be noted that our state is split roughly 50/50, but our General Assembly is split 70/30.

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 10:47 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

dimejinky99 wrote:
numbers wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

Oh I know that. But there are those that do and however big or small their number it's the law in the state. Best way to fight that is hit them in their pockets. Raleigh just lost maybe a million or two in tourist dollars from just one show. Do that repeatedly over a year As well as companies setting up elsewhere and regular tourist people not visiting there as a result and you have a huge loss to state revenues and employment quite quickly.

Yeah, like I said I agree wholeheartedly with what they are doing(other than the extremely late in the game announcement.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 507 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 26  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam