The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2016-04-16: Greenville, South Carolina
PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 3:15 pm 
mXn

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
You might be right, and they really shrunk the size of the pit from the lincoln and memphis shows in 14 so there wasnt any free space at all. The bad thing is that neither of our fan club numbers are great so reserved might get us the floor behind ga which is worse. We are considering trying our luck with the public sale next time so we can try to pick our seats. Man it sucks getting old :(

Doc, you saw where I was. That was a public sale ticket and it may very well have been the best seat I've ever had at a PJ show. I'm doing Ten Club in Raleigh and public sale again in Columbia. If the Raleigh seats are crap it may very well be what pushes me to not renew my membership.

But you'll have such an empty feeling every June when your Christmas single doesn't arrive.

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 3:31 pm 
Major Dude

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Mike was insane this show. So much energy

Yeah, that's an understatement! He was in the crowd more than Ed in '92! During Alive, I was shocked all those hands and arms didn't keep him form playing at all. It was only when he was literally pulled from the pit that he honked a note. And even that was almost seamless. He was absolutely thru the roof at this show.

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 3:34 pm 
mXn

wease wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Mike was insane this show. So much energy

Yeah, that's an understatement! He was in the crowd more than Ed in '92! During Alive, I was shocked all those hands and arms didn't keep him form playing at all. It was only when he was literally pulled from the pit that he honked a note. And even that was almost seamless. He was absolutely thru the roof at this show.

Hearing this makes me wish I was there even more than the setlist does.

Super jealous of all you who got to attend. Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 3:36 pm 
Major Dude

Why are they going from South Carolina, to Virginia, to North Carolina, than BACK to South Carolina? Logistically speaking, that doesn't make much sense.

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 3:44 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

wease wrote:
Why are they going from South Carolina, to Virginia, to North Carolina, than BACK to South Carolina? Logistically speaking, that doesn't make much sense.

I wondered the same thing, since Columbia is only an hour and a half down the road. But I guess venue availability, etc.

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 4:19 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

the better question is why are they playing 2 shows in south carolina?

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 4:21 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Chris_H_2 wrote:
the better question is why are they playing 2 shows in south carolina?

I wondered this too, though I'm not complaining. I fully expect the crowd in Columbia to be more "frat boy" and full of fans only wanting the hits. Last I heard it wasn't sold out.

Greenville had great fans, but I imagine a lot of that was people travelling there. Easier to get to Greenville from a lot of places than it is Columbia.

Remember when you were going to go to this show with me? You missed a doozy, pal.

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 4:38 pm 
Future Drummer

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
spike wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
tyweed wrote:
This is my write-up of the show that I posted to the Official PJ Forum this morning amongst the uniformly rave reviews from other people who attended the Greenville show --

Disclaimer: Turd in the Punchbowl alert. Buzzkill Central. Pleading guilty now. My girlfriend and I flew from San Francisco for the Greenville and Hampton shows, and while we had a pretty good time last night, I can't say we were blown away. First and foremost, we were surrounded by some pretty challenging fans -- equal parts obnoxious, indifferent and clueless. Drunk bros talking to each other the entire time, dipping and knocking over their spit cups, asking people for weed, etc. Dude next to me was a stone cold monolith. Tried to engage him in conversation, and he was as matter of fact as a fucking tax return. He didn't move, cheer, clap or even say one word to his lady friend who probably struggled to see the stage over his hulking frame. Dude behind me brushed the back of my head every time he clapped and never noticed. Lady next to my girl couldn't manage to stay in front of her seat and kept bumping into her while basically having no reaction to the show until "Better Man." Btw, this was in the Ten Club section -- not even halfway back and about 14 rows up -- really good seats. Anyway, it was my 10th show and the first one that was affected so significantly by other fans. I usually find PJ fans to be friendly and passionate, but I don't know what was up with these folks. It made enjoying the show pretty tough. Hearing "Vs." in order was cool, but more like a novelty for me, personally. Once "Daughter" kicked in, I realized what they were doing. Again, cool, but I think they play most of the Vs. songs pretty frequently, and knowing what they were going to play next took the surprise element out of the show, which is one of the best parts of attending PJ shows for me. Plus, the sound was pretty underwhelming for a good portion of the show. I'm really particular about this kind of thing, so I should probably just STFU, but I do think the mix was a bit muddy for awhile; hard to hear some of the individual parts.

(I know. Shut up already.)

And now for the positive: Highlights of the "Vs" set: 'RVM" was insane, and hearing "W.M.A." in its entirety rather than as a tag on "Daughter" was awesome. Ed really brought it on "Blood" -- I'm shocked he can still push his voice that hard. "Present Tense" was absolutely fantastic. Definitely the highlight for me. "Swallowed Whole" was a treat. Excellent version of "Comfortably Numb" -- surprised how much I enjoyed that. I'd rank "Future Days" as one of my least favorite PJ songs, but last night's version was really nice. Something about the arrangement and the way Ed changed the vocal melody significantly improved on the original. "Nothingman" and "Spin the Black Circle" were great as well. Overall, (aside from my immediate neighbors, obviously) the crowd was really, really good. Great energy. Totally fired up. I really enjoyed watching the pit and seeing the reactions of some of the folks up front on the big screen. A young lady holding up a sign about the mass shootings at Virginia Tech was absolutely losing it during "Present Tense."

Trying not to have expectations for Hampton regarding the setlists and the fans, but I hope it's just a damn good show with some damn good people. Thanks for enduring this post. Purged.

Chloe and i had a similar experience with the crowd, while overall they were amazingly loud and into the show, it seemed like we were stuck dealing with people constantly going to get more beer and then not being able to find there spot they would just stop in front of us and croud us and make us fairly uncomfortable, expecially when they were working on their 6th beer even though 2 should have probably been their limit. It really took away from the great show that was going on, which is a shame, i hate to be one of those people because im all for people having a good time, ut when everyone is gonna be packed into a small area and the arena itself being pretty small to try and hold 13k + people, then they should really limit the alcohol and even before that the people themselves should try their best to understand that some people need just a bit of personal space.

Aside from all that it was a great show, the crowd was insanely loud for most of the show and the band was extremely into it, already 2 days later im forgetting the negatives and rememberi9only the cool stuff, and cant wait to see what tonight is like, i just really hope we are around better fans.

probably shouldn't go for GA floor anymore, old timer.

You might be right, and they really shrunk the size of the pit from the lincoln and memphis shows in 14 so there wasnt any free space at all. The bad thing is that neither of our fan club numbers are great so reserved might get us the floor behind ga which is worse. We are considering trying our luck with the public sale next time so we can try to pick our seats. Man it sucks getting old :(

Oh man Ill be pretty angry if my really low fan club number (from 2013) gets me floor behind GA. They CLAIM that the fan club tickets are better than ALL TM tickets and that most certainly would NOT be true in that case

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 7:05 pm 
A Return To Form

I've been 10C since 2009. My 10C tickets for this show were half-court, fifteen rows back. I'm still not sure how this works. Bonus: this was the first time since I re-joined 10C that I actually got 10C tickets for PJ. (I rejoined to get tix for one EV solo show.) Got a front-row ticket behind the pit for Charlotte '13 via TM.

I can't complain too loudly. I first joined 10C in 1997, and they gave me second-row center in front of Ed at Atlanta '98. I sat next to some serious long-time 10Cers, so somebody must have goofed.

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 7:58 pm 
A Return To Form

super nintendo chalmers wrote:
Hey, I hate reading stuff like that, especially considering how far you traveled. I kinda think the whole album thing is a novelty myself. But, the crowds at arenas are very hit or miss. Least you kept your cool and didn't start some shit. I know I would have. Anyway, good luck at Hampton, Sounds like a fun venue.

Thanks man. All in all, it's hard to complain about being at a PJ show. It was my 10th and the first one where the people around me were a negative factor.

Last edited by tyweed on Mon April 18, 2016 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 8:05 pm 
A Return To Form

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
tyweed wrote:
This is my write-up of the show that I posted to the Official PJ Forum this morning amongst the uniformly rave reviews from other people who attended the Greenville show --

Disclaimer: Turd in the Punchbowl alert. Buzzkill Central. Pleading guilty now. My girlfriend and I flew from San Francisco for the Greenville and Hampton shows, and while we had a pretty good time last night, I can't say we were blown away. First and foremost, we were surrounded by some pretty challenging fans -- equal parts obnoxious, indifferent and clueless. Drunk bros talking to each other the entire time, dipping and knocking over their spit cups, asking people for weed, etc. Dude next to me was a stone cold monolith. Tried to engage him in conversation, and he was as matter of fact as a fucking tax return. He didn't move, cheer, clap or even say one word to his lady friend who probably struggled to see the stage over his hulking frame. Dude behind me brushed the back of my head every time he clapped and never noticed. Lady next to my girl couldn't manage to stay in front of her seat and kept bumping into her while basically having no reaction to the show until "Better Man." Btw, this was in the Ten Club section -- not even halfway back and about 14 rows up -- really good seats. Anyway, it was my 10th show and the first one that was affected so significantly by other fans. I usually find PJ fans to be friendly and passionate, but I don't know what was up with these folks. It made enjoying the show pretty tough. Hearing "Vs." in order was cool, but more like a novelty for me, personally. Once "Daughter" kicked in, I realized what they were doing. Again, cool, but I think they play most of the Vs. songs pretty frequently, and knowing what they were going to play next took the surprise element out of the show, which is one of the best parts of attending PJ shows for me. Plus, the sound was pretty underwhelming for a good portion of the show. I'm really particular about this kind of thing, so I should probably just STFU, but I do think the mix was a bit muddy for awhile; hard to hear some of the individual parts.

(I know. Shut up already.)

And now for the positive: Highlights of the "Vs" set: 'RVM" was insane, and hearing "W.M.A." in its entirety rather than as a tag on "Daughter" was awesome. Ed really brought it on "Blood" -- I'm shocked he can still push his voice that hard. "Present Tense" was absolutely fantastic. Definitely the highlight for me. "Swallowed Whole" was a treat. Excellent version of "Comfortably Numb" -- surprised how much I enjoyed that. I'd rank "Future Days" as one of my least favorite PJ songs, but last night's version was really nice. Something about the arrangement and the way Ed changed the vocal melody significantly improved on the original. "Nothingman" and "Spin the Black Circle" were great as well. Overall, (aside from my immediate neighbors, obviously) the crowd was really, really good. Great energy. Totally fired up. I really enjoyed watching the pit and seeing the reactions of some of the folks up front on the big screen. A young lady holding up a sign about the mass shootings at Virginia Tech was absolutely losing it during "Present Tense."

Trying not to have expectations for Hampton regarding the setlists and the fans, but I hope it's just a damn good show with some damn good people. Thanks for enduring this post. Purged.

Chloe and i had a similar experience with the crowd, while overall they were amazingly loud and into the show, it seemed like we were stuck dealing with people constantly going to get more beer and then not being able to find there spot they would just stop in front of us and croud us and make us fairly uncomfortable, expecially when they were working on their 6th beer even though 2 should have probably been their limit. It really took away from the great show that was going on, which is a shame, i hate to be one of those people because im all for people having a good time, ut when everyone is gonna be packed into a small area and the arena itself being pretty small to try and hold 13k + people, then they should really limit the alcohol and even before that the people themselves should try their best to understand that some people need just a bit of personal space.

Aside from all that it was a great show, the crowd was insanely loud for most of the show and the band was extremely into it, already 2 days later im forgetting the negatives and rememberi9only the cool stuff, and cant wait to see what tonight is like, i just really hope we are around better fans.

Yeah, in general, the crowd during the show was awesome. I really enjoyed looking around the venue and seeing pretty much everybody go off. It just happened to be the opposite in section 102, row N.

The vibe out in the hallways was pretty nuts. Huge lines for beers and no room to maneuver through. We got stuck in multiple, standstill traffic jams just trying to get to the bathroom or our seats. Plus, there were a fair few meatheads who already had plenty to drink pre-show who were glaring at women, making drunk comments to them as they walked by, etc. Fucking lame.

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 9:38 pm 
Future Drummer

Different Future Days arrangement

So, there's that. I think it's better. I guess.

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 9:41 pm 
Future Drummer

Pearl Jam Play 'Vs.' in Full at South Carolina Concert
Band performs 1993 LP in its entirety for first time ever

BY DANIEL KREPS April 17, 2016

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... t-20160417

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 9:43 pm 
The Master

That actually made the song MUCH better.

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 9:44 pm 
The Master

Okay i actually loved that :oops: :P

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 9:46 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Now it sounds like Air Supply.

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 9:46 pm 
The Master

it's always been a good song, just a set killer.

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 9:49 pm 
Future Drummer

They'll probably go right back to playing it the old way.... he said it was a request, wonder if Stone just needed to take a shit or something. Or Ed's acoustic wasn't ready.

Sorry, I'm being too negative.... Yes, it is better. And I hope they keep on playing it that way.

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 10:40 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

That was pretty good.

PostPosted: Tue April 19, 2016 3:25 am 
Rank This Poster

hlniv wrote:
Different Future Days arrangement

So, there's that. I think it's better. I guess.

Pearl Jam just needs to play new songs in a live setting for like 2 years before they figure out how to make them sound good, and then record them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live