The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Guided Tour of No Code: In My Tree
PostPosted: Thu June 20, 2013 10:47 am 
The worst

In My Tree

Although this seems to be the most popular song on No Code, it doesn’t sum up or embody the album the way some other centerpiece songs might. Instead In My Tree continues to explore the same themes and ideas that define the first half of the album, focusing on its own piece of the larger puzzle. Of all the songs on No Code this one is most rooted in place--more a destination than a journey, albeit not a permanent destination. In My Tree is also less about any particular message or insight, and instead is about creating safe spaces so it becomes possible to reflect and rebuild and begin again.

In general I am not a fan of trees as a metaphor (and between In My Tree, Present Tense, and Given To Fly it looked like this was going to become the dominant in Eddie’s writing--I prefer the wave and water metaphors), but In My Tree does an excellent job creating the musical equivalent of someone sitting at the top of a very tall tree, precarious and at peace. The music comes at you from far away (this is one of the most distant sounding songs in the catalog, and even Eddie sounds curiously muted. The way the music sways, the guitars rocking the branches back and forth, the way the chorus gasps at its height and clutches the branches for balance, the accents coming out of the bridge that call to mind a breathless clarity of vision (the way you can see a great distance from a great height as all the stuff that obscures your vision closer to the ground is irrelevant)--this is all very well done in subtle ways. I don’t really think of No Code as a soundscape record, but I’m starting to change my mind. Like many of the best tracks on Binaural, the music doesn’t just create atmosphere--it paints pictures.

Lyrically this is a tale of two songs--so/so verses with a weak bridge, but an excellent chorus. Thematically this is all stuff we’ve seen before and will see again, and for a well Eddie has gone to so often this is rarely where he is at his best. The world around you is too complicated, too full of distractions, too ugly. You can’t see the forest for the trees. And so in order to be able to see again (internally and externally) and make peace with the world it is necessary to remove yourself from it, at least for a little while. And the song starts with that literal description. I am high up and very far away--no one cares about me. No one notices me. They are all distracted by the dirty grind and shiny things that the singer left behind. The world recedes, and you’re left with no one to talk to but the leaves, who presumably don’t judge and are excellent listeners. The perfect space to talk yourself through the puzzle of yourself.

There are no new conclusions reached here--this is all ground we’ve traveled before and will travel again. Accept that understanding, let alone mastering, the world around you (or yourself) is impossible. Instead you need to make your peace with the fact that everyone and everything is different, the journey never ends, the context always changes. Trees do eventually stop growing taller, but they spend their whole lives adding to their trunk, replacing the leaves and branches that have fallen.

I’d be remiss here if I didn’t quote John Stuart Mill. This is from chapter III of On Liberty, probably the best book ever written on the importance of granting people space for finding out who they are, and building societies in such a way that people do not need to alienate themselves from it to discover this.

“Human nature is not a machine to be built after a model, and set to do exactly the work prescribed for it, but a tree, which requires to grow and develope itself on all sides, according to the tendency of the inward forces which make it a living thing.”

Overall I am a bigger fan of the ideas here than the execution (it is not badly done, mind you, but I’m not sure the verses are inspired, either). The chorus, however, is very well done. As KD noted earlier, the chorus gives us a hint of how dizzying the heights are--how the attempts at self discovery are exhilarating and terrifying at the same time. One wonders, given Hail Hail, Smile, and Around the Bend if this climb would have been easier with a partner, but No Code is a pretty solitary record overall (and maybe you need to make this pilgrimage in order to be able to open up for someone else). There was a prize to be won here--the recaptured innocence--but this isn’t a place you can linger for long. The innocence lyric is especially nice given the way the imagery parallels the rock a bye baby nursery rhyme. There is also that sense of breathlessness, the lack of oxygen, coming from the power of the experience (this is an epiphanal song, although the content of that epiphany gets colored in from the surrounding songs) or the danger of the isolation. The phrase the sky I scrape is especially provocative. How can you scrape the sky. How can you rub up against and hurt yourself against something that lacks substance. Since the whole thing is a metaphor the song seems to be saying that while this is a place you can visit, you can’t remain here long. it is dangerous. The nest is down below, with the people we’ve left behind.

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu June 20, 2013 12:46 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

I used to think it was "The pits of hell start to shake" - I always loved that, till I found out that wasn't the lyric.

I love the bridge and the way it segues into "I remember him" and the bass starts playing a different fill on that verse - it's a magical song. Even though Ed wrote it, I'm sure the Witch Doctor made it special.

PostPosted: Thu June 20, 2013 1:12 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Best Pearl Jam song there is.

PostPosted: Thu June 20, 2013 1:27 pm 
The worst

Blenheim Augustine wrote:
I used to think it was "The pits of hell start to shake" - I always loved that, till I found out that wasn't the lyric.

I love the bridge and the way it segues into "I remember him" and the bass starts playing a different fill on that verse - it's a magical song. Even though Ed wrote it, I'm sure the Witch Doctor made it special.

the sussurus (sp) effect in the bridge is kinda neat, but the lyrics have always dragged that down for me.

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu June 20, 2013 2:22 pm 
Rank This Poster

darth_vedder wrote:
Best Pearl Jam song there is.

i could probably get on board w/ this

when no code first came out i thought 'in my tree' would be good background music to being abducted by aliens

PostPosted: Thu June 20, 2013 2:36 pm 
Rank This Poster

stip wrote:

the sussurus (sp) effect in the bridge is kinda neat, but the lyrics have always dragged that down for me.

I honestly have no idea what the lyrics in the bridge are; everything that the song needs in that moment is in the sound.

PostPosted: Thu June 20, 2013 2:58 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

digster wrote:
stip wrote:

I honestly have no idea what the lyrics in the bridge are; everything that the song needs in that moment is in the sound.

Team digster.

PostPosted: Thu June 20, 2013 3:02 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Another " wtf?" moment for me when this record came out.
It didnt sound like PJ, it didnt sound like Ed...and yet there were something about that piece of music that kept you listening.
I love this song, even if i dont really know the lyrics. Like most of the songs from No Code, the feeling is what really captures me. And yes, those guitars... :heartbeat:

I dont agree with Stip that this record doesnt create atmosphere...im sure this one creates a lot of that, and it also paints a picture at the same time. Maybe this is why No Code is one of my two favorites from PJ ( VS is the other), because the "meaning" its always changing.

PostPosted: Thu June 20, 2013 3:10 pm 
Rank This Poster

digster wrote:
stip wrote:

:thumbsup: that bridge is some of the best pearl jam ever

PostPosted: Thu June 20, 2013 3:34 pm 
Broken Tamborine

I never thought too much of this song until it became clear that so many people consider it among the best of the catalog, at which point I felt like I should give it some special consideration.

Now, I guess it's one of those for me that I can appreciate, but don't fully connect with. There's a lot to appreciate. Jack is stealing the show, some interesting imagery, a lot of feeling in the music ... but it doesn't quite take off for me. I do think highly of the song, but it lacks something for me that makes it soar into the upper echelon of the band's output.

Can't add much to Stip's thoughts. In terms of lyrical themes, it's ground Eddie had explored before and would again. I'm not sure it's done any better or worse here than in other songs. Musically, it's a pretty unique song within the Pearl Jam universe. It's nice, but they haven't done much in exploring this territory further. I'd be interested if they did, however.

PostPosted: Thu June 20, 2013 4:28 pm 
The worst

digster wrote:
stip wrote:

when there are words I almost always have to listen.

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu June 20, 2013 5:20 pm 
Rank This Poster

It helps in this situation for me that the lyrics are pretty much undecipherable in the song itself.

PostPosted: Thu June 20, 2013 5:21 pm 
Rank This Poster

stip wrote:
digster wrote:
stip wrote:

im not even sure they are real words though

PostPosted: Thu June 20, 2013 5:41 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

stip wrote:
digster wrote:
stip wrote:

Nobody knows what the lyrics in the bridge are. They are definitely not "Eddie's up in his home" or whatever silly thing the fans made up.

PostPosted: Thu June 20, 2013 5:57 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

still my favorite song to spend drunken nights alone to.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu June 20, 2013 10:00 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

BurtReynolds wrote:
still my favorite song to spend drunken nights alone to.

:luv:

Also, one of my all time favorite songs. By anyone.

PostPosted: Thu June 20, 2013 10:48 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

theplatypus wrote:
stip wrote:
digster wrote:
stip wrote:

Nobody knows what the lyrics in the bridge are. They are definitely not "Eddie's up in his home" or whatever silly thing the fans made up.

Exactly.

The only thing that I'm sure about is the backing vocal during that part live which is something like: "fall as the tree falls." On the studio version, I don't even think that's discernibly in there. It just sounds like a bunch of reversed and otherwise heavily-effected cut-up vocal pieces; it's more likely to be sounds than actual words.

PostPosted: Fri June 21, 2013 12:14 am 
tl;dr

In live versions I always hear "newspapers on the road."

PostPosted: Fri June 21, 2013 1:21 am 
Rank This Poster

Birds in Hell wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
stip wrote:
digster wrote:
stip wrote:

Exactly.

The only thing that I'm sure about is the backing vocal during that part live which is something like: "fall as the tree falls." On the studio version, I don't even think that's discernibly in there. It just sounds like a bunch of reversed and otherwise heavily-effected cut-up vocal pieces; it's more likely to be sounds than actual words.

words are sounds.

PostPosted: Fri June 21, 2013 1:22 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

all which isn't singing is mere talking
and all talking's to oneself alone

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam