The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 58  Next
 Post subject: Re: Which restaurant have you been to recently?
PostPosted: Thu March 10, 2016 3:49 am 
The Master

Chris_H_2 wrote:
headed here tonight . . .

http://monteverdechicago.com/

let me know how it is; we're going sunday night.

PostPosted: Thu March 10, 2016 3:34 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

spike wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:

I really liked it. Went with a buddy from law school that was in from out of town. Had reservations at 6:00 p.m., and the place was already packed. The decor reminds me of a Restoration Hardware (I don't mean that in a bad way) -- everything was clean and streamlined, with some distressed wood. Even though there were a lot of people, it wasn't particularly noisy. All the pasta is handmade on site. There were 2 women making the pasta behind the bar; it was pretty cool because they had mirrors on the ceiling so you could watch what they were making. And the whole menu is all small plates. We had the Hamachi Crudo (really good), Arancini (probably the one miss of the night -- a little too salty), artichoke and sunchoke crostini (awesome), Arrabbiata (comes with whole shrimp -- by far the best dish of the night), pappardelle (really, really good), and a bottle of wine. All in all, I think the tab was $110, which wasn't horrible considering the wine.

I think you'll like it.

PostPosted: Thu March 10, 2016 4:24 pm 
The Master

Chris_H_2 wrote:
spike wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:

I really liked it. Went with a buddy from law school that was in from out of town. Had reservations at 6:00 p.m., and the place was already packed. The decor reminds me of a Restoration Hardware (I don't mean that in a bad way) -- everything was clean and streamlined, with some distressed wood. Even though there were a lot of people, it wasn't particularly noisy. All the pasta is handmade on site. There were 2 women making the pasta behind the bar; it was pretty cool because they had mirrors on the ceiling so you could watch what they were making. And the whole menu is all small plates. We had the Hamachi Crudo (really good), Arancini (probably the one miss of the night -- a little too salty), artichoke and sunchoke crostini (awesome), Arrabbiata (comes with whole shrimp -- by far the best dish of the night), pappardelle (really, really good), and a bottle of wine. All in all, I think the tab was $110, which wasn't horrible considering the wine.

I think you'll like it.

yeah, it's hot shit right now, hence us going on a sunday night. it was the next reservation that wasn't 9pm. i love a good arrabbiata, and the wife loves shrimp, so we'll definitely be getting that.

PostPosted: Thu March 10, 2016 5:08 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Chris_H_2 wrote:
spike wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:

I think you'll like it.

you should post this on chicago yelp

PostPosted: Thu March 10, 2016 5:12 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

doug rr wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
spike wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:

I think you'll like it.

you should post this on chicago yelp

PostPosted: Thu March 10, 2016 5:19 pm 
The Master

it was very yelpful.

PostPosted: Fri March 11, 2016 3:02 am 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Stumbled upon a vegetarian/whisky restaurant in St. Louis this weekend. It was fantastic. :nice:

Ted Drewes Frozen Custard or GTFO!

Delicious...

PostPosted: Mon March 14, 2016 3:17 am 
The Master

Chris_H_2 wrote:
spike wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:

I think you'll like it.

this was really great; i think my wife liked it even more than me. we ordered the octopus spiedini, ocean trout, cannelloni saltimbocca, and the cacio whey pepe. the cacio whey pepe was the only misfire; it was very good, just sort of bland by nature after the other dishes.

we'll be back for the ragu alla napoletana; it was just too much food for two and we wanted to try an assortment of dishes. it looks amazing:

PostPosted: Mon March 14, 2016 4:29 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

spike wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
spike wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:

I think you'll like it.

this was really great; i think my wife liked it even more than me. we ordered the octopus spiedini, ocean trout, cannelloni saltimbocca, and the cacio whey pepe. the cacio whey pepe was the only misfire; it was very good, just sort of bland by nature after the other dishes.

we'll be back for the ragu alla napoletana; it was just too much food for two and we wanted to try an assortment of dishes. it looks amazing:

Nice. I came here specifically hoping you'd post. How was the trout? I really wanted to try that.

PostPosted: Mon March 14, 2016 4:58 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

finally made it downtown to try this place...it was fantastic

PostPosted: Mon March 14, 2016 5:00 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

oh man, i really LOVE a good french-dipped sammich

PostPosted: Mon March 14, 2016 5:03 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Chris_H_2 wrote:
oh man, i really LOVE a good french-dipped sammich

they have different styles you can order...I went with the double dipped wet..they just drop into a large bucket au jus....CHOMP

PostPosted: Mon March 14, 2016 5:12 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

have you ever had a chicago italian beef? i get that sucker with hot peppers and dipped. it's like the food of the gods.

PostPosted: Mon March 14, 2016 10:13 pm 
The Master

Chris_H_2 wrote:
Nice. I came here specifically hoping you'd post. How was the trout? I really wanted to try that.

it was delicious, cooked kinda rare and had a great creamy tomoto sauce. could've used a bit more sauce, actually. the octopus was better though; so tender.

PostPosted: Mon March 14, 2016 10:14 pm 
The Master

Chris_H_2 wrote:
have you ever had a chicago italian beef? i get that sucker with hot peppers and dipped. it's like the food of the gods.

what's your favorite beef place? i've only had al's and portillo's. :oops:

PostPosted: Mon March 14, 2016 10:19 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

spike wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:

i've had a lot of them. but honestly, i'd still take a beef from portillo's over all of them. mr. beef is really overrated in my opinion (i like a good tasting giardiniera, and there's is a bland, oily mess with no olive or celery). al's is ok, but the beef is pretty mediocre. roma's in portage park is really good too.

PostPosted: Mon March 14, 2016 10:22 pm 
The Master

Chris_H_2 wrote:
spike wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:

i've had a lot of them. but honestly, i'd still take a beef from portillo's over all of them. mr. beef is really overrated in my opinion (i like a good tasting giardiniera, and there's is a bland, oily mess with no olive or celery). al's is ok, but the beef is pretty mediocre. roma's in portage park is really good too.

why is everything so good at portillo's? it's amazing, really.

PostPosted: Mon March 14, 2016 10:23 pm 
The Master

haha, my wife just emailed me that she's made another reservation at monteverde for next month. must've made quite the impression.

PostPosted: Mon March 14, 2016 10:33 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

spike wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
spike wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:

why is everything so good at portillo's? it's amazing, really.

agreed. the best chicago hot dog is still at portillo's.

have you had the combo? oh man . . .

PostPosted: Mon March 14, 2016 10:34 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

spike wrote:
haha, my wife just emailed me that she's made another reservation at monteverde for next month. must've made quite the impression.

i wish my wife wasn't a communis . . . er . . . vegetarian. :gomez:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 58  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining