The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post subject: The Pearl Jam memorabilia thread
PostPosted: Tue February 23, 2016 4:45 am 
mXn

Post here about all the PJ crap you've spent your good hard earned money on (or been lucky enough to stumble upon)

Last edited by Bammer on Mon August 09, 2021 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The Pearl Jam memorabilia thread
PostPosted: Tue February 23, 2016 4:47 am 
The Master

Thanks Bammer, my search for "memorabilia" wasn't turning up anything.
I'm turning in, I'll try to post some memorabilia pics tomorrow. Until then -- how the hell did you get Matt Cameron's drum kit?!

PostPosted: Tue February 23, 2016 4:49 am 
mXn

On my phone at the moment. I'll be back when in front of a real keyboard.

PostPosted: Tue February 23, 2016 5:06 am 
The Master

Not really memorabilia except for the pass, but i recently dug out an old photo album from my PJ tours. These are a few from my backstage tour in detroit 00. Photos of photos cause i aint scanning shit.

PostPosted: Tue February 23, 2016 5:20 am 
tl;dr

I have Matt Cameron's drum kit from the 1998 tour.

PostPosted: Tue February 23, 2016 5:42 am 
mXn

Kevin Davis wrote:
I have Matt Cameron's drum kit from the 1998 tour.

/thread

PostPosted: Tue February 23, 2016 6:02 am 
"Supersonic sucks."

Great shots, Strat. Is that Stone's board? Didn't know he'd used a Fulltone '69 or Supa Trem.

PostPosted: Tue February 23, 2016 6:21 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

bammer, you gotta sell me that thing one day. even if it's in 20 years. put it in your will or something. that's my favourite kit ever and they don't make it any more. please listen to reason.

PostPosted: Tue February 23, 2016 6:46 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

PostPosted: Tue February 23, 2016 7:50 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Sgt. Crackpot wrote:

You've got that snare? Motherfucker.

PostPosted: Tue February 23, 2016 2:35 pm 
The Master

Birds in Hell wrote:
Great shots, Strat. Is that Stone's board? Didn't know he'd used a Fulltone '69 or Supa Trem.

Never played a Supa Trem. How is that? Thinking of changing out my current tremelo. Yea, its stones board. I remember picking up the Sonic Distortion pedal shortly after that!

PostPosted: Tue February 23, 2016 3:24 pm 
mXn

You can dig up more about this on the Old Board, I'm sure I mentioned it like a million times. But here we go ... short version, I heard about it on the radio and ended up buying it from a local drum shop.

My next, realllly long, post will tell the story in full detail. If anyone cares to go sleuthing and look through the Old Board please feel free to call me out on any details that have changed, ha!

PostPosted: Tue February 23, 2016 3:38 pm 
mXn

Matt Cameron's purple & silver Ayotte kit used during the 2000 tour:

It's spring of 2002, I am in college and I'm out for a run listening to my armband radio. This is before iPods. I believe it was 107.7 FM and they had just finished playing a Soundgarden song. I'm pretty sure it was Spoonman. After the song, the DJ says something like "...and there's Soundgarden, whose drummer as you know, Matt Cameron, is now playing with Pearl Jam. I was just over at Donn Bennett's drum studio recently and he has one of Matt's drum sets on display."

I'd never heard of Donn Bennett before, but I've come to find out he's something of a local legend in the music/drumming community. I still don't really know how or why he is so well connected. Anyway I looked them up and called inquiring whether the drums were for sale...the guy I talked to said no but he would leave a message about it for Donn. Not long after I got a call back ... or maybe I called again myself, but anyway Donn agreed to sell the drums. So I went over to his shop and it was SO COOL. He has this high shelf running around the perimeter of the store which basically houses his own personal collection of drum sets. Typically these items are not for sale until he needs to clear space to add something new to his collection.

So in the end I was able to talk him into selling me the drums. I paid $3,500 and let's be honest, my parents helped me out with that big time. Looking back at the receipt ... Ayotte sold the drums to Donn Bennett ... it's crossed out but the retail on the new drums is something like $11,600. I don't know what Donn paid but I'm guessing about half of what he sold it to me for. So I've got the paper trail.

I never actually met Matt Cameron, but by the time I was ready to come pick them up ... Donn had gotten Matt to autograph a poster for me, which I have framed above the desk I'm typing from right now. It's a wide shot of the band on stage and Matt is playing this kit. The kick is silver and the toms are purple.

What I have are the toms and kick drum...in total that is a 5-piece set. I do NOT have the snare drum pictured above ... looks like that was sold separately. I also do not have the wood hoops ... for some reason Matt wanted to keep those. I also do not have the hardware or cymbals. I do have what I assume are the last set of drumheads that he used, except I don't think I have the outer kick drum head ... Matt may have kept that for himself also.

After obtaining these drums I played them myself quite a bit for about 5 years ... at home, live shows, and some recording. It's a really nice drum set (that just happened to tour with PJ) and I figured it needed to be played! Alas, for several years now I've had them in storage. Someday I hope to have another space of my own to set this back up again and jam.

I'd be curious to know how much the most die-hard Pearl Jam freak would pay to get their hands on these, but that number would have to be REALLY high for me to part with them.

PostPosted: Tue February 23, 2016 3:52 pm 
mXn

Last edited by Bammer on Sun March 05, 2017 7:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue February 23, 2016 4:04 pm 
The Master

Bammer wrote:
Matt Cameron's purple & silver Ayotte kit used during the 2000 tour:

It's spring of 2002, I am in college and I'm out for a run listening to my armband radio. This is before iPods. I believe it was 107.7 FM and they had just finished playing a Soundgarden song. I'm pretty sure it was Spoonman. After the song, the DJ says something like "...and there's Soundgarden, whose drummer as you know, Matt Cameron, is now playing with Pearl Jam. I was just over at Donn Bennett's drum studio recently and he has one of Matt's drum sets on display."

I'd never heard of Donn Bennett before, but I've come to find out he's something of a local legend in the music/drumming community. I still don't really know how or why he is so well connected. Anyway I looked them up and called inquiring whether the drums were for sale...the guy I talked to said no but he would leave a message about it for Donn. Not long after I got a call back ... or maybe I called again myself, but anyway Donn agreed to sell the drums. So I went over to his shop and it was SO COOL. He has this high shelf running around the perimeter of the store which basically houses his own personal collection of drum sets. Typically these items are not for sale until he needs to clear space to add something new to his collection.

So in the end I was able to talk him into selling me the drums. I paid $3,500 and let's be honest, my parents helped me out with that big time. Looking back at the receipt ... Ayotte sold the drums to Donn Bennett ... it's crossed out but the retail on the new drums is something like $11,600. I don't know what Donn paid but I'm guessing about half of what he sold it to me for. So I've got the paper trail.

I never actually met Matt Cameron, but by the time I was ready to come pick them up ... Donn had gotten Matt to autograph a poster for me, which I have framed above the desk I'm typing from right now. It's a wide shot of the band on stage and Matt is playing this kit. The kick is silver and the toms are purple.

What I have are the toms and kick drum...in total that is a 5-piece set. I do NOT have the snare drum pictured above ... looks like that was sold separately. I also do not have the wood hoops ... for some reason Matt wanted to keep those. I also do not have the hardware or cymbals. I do have what I assume are the last set of drumheads that he used, except I don't think I have the outer kick drum head ... Matt may have kept that for himself also.

After obtaining these drums I played them myself quite a bit for about 5 years ... at home, live shows, and some recording. It's a really nice drum set (that just happened to tour with PJ) and I figured it needed to be played! Alas, for several years now I've had them in storage. Someday I hope to have another space of my own to set this back up again and jam.

I'd be curious to know how much the most die-hard Pearl Jam freak would pay to get their hands on these, but that number would have to be REALLY high for me to part with them.

AWESOME story, and I don't think $3500 is completely outrageous, considering the quality and personal history...Still, would have been nice to get the snare and some more hardware. Also, it looks like Sarge maybe has your missing snare?

Did the kid take a lot of damage once you started touring with it?
And I'm curious -- when you play it, do you find that you sound like Matt Cameron? Obviously, a sound is partly the player, and partly the gear.
Super cool, Bammer -- thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Tue February 23, 2016 4:54 pm 
mXn

Once I started touring with it? I wish!

I've never taken it outside the Seattle area, and always transported it in back of my SUV (not crammed in a van with tons of other gear). So it's in basically the same condition as when I bought it except for the heads.

Looks like that picture of the snare is from none other than Donn Bennett. How bout that. For all I know he still has it on display in his shop. I should inquire!

As for the sound, I guess I don't have a keen enough ear. What I know is that it's a really nice drum set and yes, it sounds awesome.

PostPosted: Tue February 23, 2016 5:02 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

I'm selling EV's Ukulele deluxe hardcover book if anyone needs it..$170

PostPosted: Tue February 23, 2016 5:06 pm 

I've got 3 EV zippo lighters. He's given me one each time i've met him over the past few years. Also have one of his old beat up suitcases that he gave to Glen who gave it to me. it's pretty sweet.
also have a cd he made for glen of sleepless nights the night they first met&recorded together..he's made a cool cover & written a nice note on the front and a wave inside...the lyric sheet is inside and hes written on it & drawn little dashes to show glen where to breathe in the lyrics.

Forgot about that

PostPosted: Tue February 23, 2016 5:25 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

dimejinky99 wrote:
and a wave inside...

that is unusual

PostPosted: Tue February 23, 2016 5:43 pm 

used that wave on my given to fly tattoo :)

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam