The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1065 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54  Next
 Post subject: Re: Feminism
PostPosted: Thu April 09, 2015 1:57 pm 
Site Admin

Looks like I'm not the only one that's hesitant of the word that gets commonly assigned to the concept.

http://www.vox.com/2015/4/8/8372417/fem ... ality-poll

Quote:
The poll, conducted by research and communications firm PerryUndem, shows that a strong majority of Americans agree on gender equality. Eighty-five percent, for example, say they believe in "equality for women."

But many fewer want to put the feminist label on their beliefs. Eighteen percent of poll respondents said they consider themselves feminist. Fifty-two percent said they were not feminist, 26 percent were not sure, and 4 percent refused to answer the question.

PostPosted: Thu April 09, 2015 10:29 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Congratulations Rush Limbaugh. You fucking did it.

PostPosted: Tue January 19, 2016 3:56 am 
mXn

Bammer wrote:
I haven't read a single word of this thread but I do have a contribution.

I have a quasi-friend-acquaintance who is very outspoken for women's rights. He is a dude. A very pro-feminist dude.

What if I said to him - "Buddy you are defeating your own purpose. By fighting for the ladies' cause you are belittling them, as if to say they can't fight for themselves."

Do you think he would appreciate the irony of his actions and give it a rest finally?

Or do you think he'd get pissed, freak out, and have an aneurism?

The same young man mentioned above has now posted on FB multiple times that anyone who doesn't like Cam Newton is racist.

I just want to reply BRO SHUT THE FUCK UP to nearly everything he posts, but we're actually pretty friendly when we see each other and our dads are good buddies, so I can't.

PostPosted: Tue January 19, 2016 4:06 am 
The Master

Bammer wrote:
Bammer wrote:

I have a quasi-friend-acquaintance who is very outspoken for women's rights. He is a dude. A very pro-feminist dude.

What if I said to him - "Buddy you are defeating your own purpose. By fighting for the ladies' cause you are belittling them, as if to say they can't fight for themselves."

Do you think he would appreciate the irony of his actions and give it a rest finally?

The same young man mentioned above has now posted on FB multiple times that anyone who doesn't like Cam Newton is racist.

I just want to reply BRO SHUT THE FUCK UP to nearly everything he posts, but we're actually pretty friendly when we see each other and our dads are good buddies, so I can't.

Give us his fb page and we can say it for you.

PostPosted: Tue January 19, 2016 4:26 am 
mXn

tragabigzanda wrote:
Bammer wrote:
Bammer wrote:

Give us his fb page and we can say it for you.

:idea:

PostPosted: Sat January 23, 2016 12:59 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Bammer wrote:
Bammer wrote:

To answer the original question, I think joining women in their struggle is not the same as fighting it for them.

PostPosted: Sat January 23, 2016 11:17 pm 
mXn

B wrote:
Bammer wrote:
Bammer wrote:

To answer the original question, I think joining women in their struggle is not the same as fighting it for them.

You really gotta see this guy in action. He really, really loathes the fact that he was born a W.M.A.

PostPosted: Sun January 31, 2016 2:22 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

the debate on feminism has gotten pretty dark.

PostPosted: Sun January 31, 2016 10:19 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Dev wrote:
the debate on feminism has gotten pretty dark.

Only ginger women have souls.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon February 01, 2016 7:26 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Does the Hillary campaign think that complaining about 'Bernie bros' will win them votes?

PostPosted: Tue February 16, 2016 7:40 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

http://www.realsexism.com

Despite what you have been told, in the western world today almost all legal and lethal sexual discrimination is against men.
Men are 97% of combat fatalities.
Men pay 97% of Alimony
Men make 94% of work suicides.
Men make up 93% of work fatalities.
Men make up 81% of all war deaths.
Men lose custody in 84% of divorces.
80% of all suicides are men.
77% of homicide victims are men.
89% of men will be the victim of at least one violent crime.
Men are over twice as victimised by strangers as women.
Men are 165% more likely to be convicted than women.
Men get 63% longer sentences than women for the same crime.
Court bias against men is at least 6 times bigger than racial bias.
Males are discriminated against in school and University.
Boys face vastly more corporal punishment than girls.
60-80% of the homeless are men.
Women's Cancers receive 15 times more funding than men's
At least 10% of fathers are victims of paternity fraud.
One third of all fathers in the USA have lost custody of children, most are expected to pay for this.
40-70% of domestic violence is against men however less than 1% of domestic violence shelter spaces are for men.
Male fatality rates are vastly higher than women's
Worldwide there are 107 men born for every 100 women, by age 65 there are 78 men for every 100 women, in countries like the USA & UK, its even worse, with 75/76 men for every 100 women. Despite the fact that health care spending for men is nearly twice as effective. In the few countries that have a majority male population and a preference for male children like China, Sons are legally obliged to care for parents when they are older, where as daughters are not. Many other countries like India have this as a social obligation. goo.gl/iZUcJJ
Despite all the pressures and risks facing men today support services for men are almost non existent compared to services for women. There are departments for women's issues in the White House and the UN, but none for men. The UN promotes genital mutilation of male children but condems female genital mutilation. This is Real Sexism.

THE REAL MONEY GAP.
Men earn 61.5% of all income but only account for 25% of domestic spending. Men only spend 40% of what they earn after tax. In contrast women make up 38.5% of all income but control 75% of domestic spending, women on average spend 90% MORE MONEY THAN THEY EARN. Men are exploited as cash machines and even with spending on children accounted for women still spend more money on themselves than the combined spending for men and children. This can even be observed in the floor space allocated to women's products in most shopping centres.

TAX & HEALTHCARE DISCRIMINATION
Men pay over 70% of income tax but the vast majority of public spending is on services for women. There is more money spent on breast cancer than lung cancer and prostate cancer combined, despite the fact that lung cancer alone has 3-4 times more fatalities than breast cancer. A man's chance of getting cancer is 44% and 23% of men will die from cancer, 38% of women get cancer and 19% die. Yet there is vastly more money spent on cancer for women, this is lethal discrimination. Women pay 60% less tax despite spending 300% more in domestic spending than men. Women also consume two third of public spending, there are 3 times the amount of gender specific health services for women than men despite the fact that for equal increases in health spending a man's life expectancy rate increases nearly twice as much as a woman's.

DOMESTIC VIOLENCE
There are hundreds of surveys which shows women are as violent if not more violent than men in domestic violence cases. Men get arrested in 85% of all arrests but its estimated that Women are the perpetrators in most Domestic Violence cases. Most reciprocal violence is started by women and 70% of non reciprocal violence is perpetrated by women. Women however only get arrested in 15% of all DV arrests. This example of 572 different studies covering 371,600 people demonstrate that women are as physically aggressive, or more aggressive, than men in their relationships with their spouses or male partners. http://www.csulb.edu/~mfiebert/assault.htm
More men than women were victims of intimate partner physical violence and over 40% of severe physical violence was directed at men. http://www.batteredmen.com/NISVS.htm
Despite this though,99.3% of DV shelter spaces are for women and even men who report violence against them by women are arrested far more often than the woman who is attacking them.

PostPosted: Tue February 16, 2016 9:07 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

"A rape on campus" has not aged well. Neither has Bill Cosby's accusations, but in a different way. Ms. malice seems to be have been correct on that one, while I was rather oblivious'/ uninterested in it. Win to malice?

PostPosted: Tue February 16, 2016 9:39 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

luckily for me, I no longer consider myself a member of the human race.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue February 16, 2016 12:01 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Dev wrote:

Despite what you have been told, in the western world today almost all legal and lethal sexual discrimination is against men.

Many of the things on that list are not "sexual discrimination." Also, some of the data contradicts itself.

PostPosted: Tue February 16, 2016 1:54 pm 
The Master

OMG Dev's a fucking MRA now

PostPosted: Tue February 16, 2016 1:58 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

That's not at all surprising.

PostPosted: Tue February 16, 2016 3:04 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Simple Torture wrote:
Dev wrote:

Many of the things on that list are not "sexual discrimination." Also, some of the data contradicts itself.

I don't know if the data contradicts itself, but it's what I call "legacy data" in the sense that it brings forth too much of the past into a rapidly changing system. Looking at data from today:

Childless women in their 20's earn $1.08 for every $1.00 earned by men of the same age. Gap is different in the UK, but here's the only graphic I could quickly find:

Women have pulled ahead of men in education attainment:

Women are rapidly displacing men atop the corporate ladder:

Projecting this forward, you can see parity will be achieved within the Millennial generation without anyone doing anything more than has already been done and that's where the use of "legacy data" is misleading. By selecting time boundaries from the before the effects of 'second wave feminism', you can erase the evidence of the progress that has been made in the past 20 years. (This is quite different from the struggles of African Americans in the US, where the legacy data is highly relevant because the major source of the equity problem is multi-generational).

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=1278

PostPosted: Tue February 16, 2016 3:46 pm 
Site Admin

b_i_revisited wrote:
Projecting this forward, you can see parity will be achieved within the Millennial generation without anyone doing anything more than has already been done and that's where the use of "legacy data" is misleading.
Millennials are indeed doing better than their peers, and that'll probably stay that way in the end. However, a potential game changer is when they have children en masse, which shows a weakness in your first chart. (And remember, the latest birth cohorts of the Millennial Generation are likely to be 2004, so we have a ways to go here).

The big question is whether or not men will be willing to curtail or give up their careers to instead take care of their kids. I have yet to see good evidence of this.

PostPosted: Thu February 18, 2016 10:02 pm 
The worst

Green Habit wrote:
b_i_revisited wrote:
Projecting this forward, you can see parity will be achieved within the Millennial generation without anyone doing anything more than has already been done and that's where the use of "legacy data" is misleading.
Millennials are indeed doing better than their peers, and that'll probably stay that way in the end. However, a potential game changer is when they have children en masse, which shows a weakness in your first chart. (And remember, the latest birth cohorts of the Millennial Generation are likely to be 2004, so we have a ways to go here).

The big question is whether or not men will be willing to curtail or give up their careers to instead take care of their kids. I have yet to see good evidence of this.

or if our system will really readjust itself in such a way as to make professional careers compatible with the demands of raising children.

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri February 19, 2016 12:07 am 
Future Drummer

stip wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
b_i_revisited wrote:

or if our system will really readjust itself in such a way as to make professional careers compatible with the demands of raising children.

I've had a professional career the whole time being a single parent. I had no problems in my career or juggling a career and raising a kid. It did hinder some career advancement but that's because I chose not to make it a priority over child rearing.

Professionals shouldn't have much of a problem as most professionals have a pretty large amount of control over their schedule and are able to easily accommodate the needs of a kid or two into that flexible schedule. I think it is much more blue collar workers and white collar admin/support workers who lack the flexibility to easily combine kids and work.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1065 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate